Review Spyderco Waterway

Hello BladeForums! This is a review of the Spyderco Waterway!

zBabgqzh.jpg

38AESTMh.jpg

Intro:

The Spyderco Waterway is a knife designed by Kayak fisherman and knife enthusiast Lance Clinton ( Surfingringo Surfingringo ). It is made to withstand the extremely corrosive and demanding environment of saltwater kayak fishing. That said, I have found it to be a nearly perfect everyday utility knife and I'd like to share my thoughts on why.

Technical Specs and information from Spyderco:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB43G/Waterway/1207

Video and link to Lance's YouTube channel with his take and more information:

Overall impressions:
When looking at a new knife, I feel something should jump out at you, sort of set it apart. For me with this knife, that is absolutely the steel. The Waterway is made from LC200N which is a highly corrosion resistant steel. There are plenty of technical specs and reviews of this steel available elsewhere if you are interested. Like a lot of other people, I found it to be somewhere between VG-10 and S30v in terms of edge holding. Easy to touch up. No chipping which speaks to toughness. Of course, the rust resistance is where this steel shines. From my experience, with what Spyderco is doing with this steel (I have the Waterway and a Siren, an Autonomy 2 is on the way), I find LC200N to be a nearly perfect all rounder type of steel. The phrase "Jack of all trades, Master of none" gets a bad rap IMO. For me, that is exactly what I want in a do anything utility/EDC knife. Holds a good edge, is easy enough to sharpen/keep sharp, nearly rust proof, tough enough to resist damage, and won't kill your budget. It is not the best at any of those things but it does all of them very well.

Use:
Like I have said, I use this knife for utility and EDC. Unlike it was intended, I don't use it for fishing or around salt water, not that I wouldn't, just haven't had the chance. I've broken down boxes, opened packages, cut plastics, done food prep, removed splinters, and used it around the yard/garden. I'm no blade expert that measures behind the edge or anything like that but I can tell you that this knife slices very well. It is excellent as a paring knife in the kitchen. Doesn't work that well when dicing because of the guard and lack of height though. You could choke up above the guard on to the ricasso, but if your fingers are any thicker than mine you will want to be careful as they will be right on the blade. The previous owner of my knife deliberately dulled the blade a few millimeters right there for exactly this purpose.

aGYMBXRh.jpg

xLwqCtCh.jpg

BrdkuD9h.jpg

The Waterway excels at these EDC type tasks because of the long, slender, and pointy blade. Blade tip compared to a Pacific Salt SE:
9JYuC0hh.jpg

Some more comparison pics with other knives so you can get a feel for size:
4yO5vE1h.jpg

Vtuk86ch.jpg

1kW6E16h.jpg

Y4nNtx2h.jpg

As you can see, it is not a huge knife, and doesn't offer all that much more blade length than its folding counterparts in the Pacific Salt and the Siren but the strength, stability, and nature of a fixed blade is irreplaceable.

Handle:
The handle edges are really well contoured between the steel and G-10. I believe the handle is really well done for its intended use. For my use and carry, it is a tad on the long size. I have medium/large hands. For the type of grips used in the types of cuts this knife was designed to make, a longer handle does make sense. Pinch grips work really well in food prep and EDC tasks. The longer handle fits perfectly along the palm near the wrist as you pinch the front of the knife near the guard. For me, a hammer type of grip leaves a lot of handle hanging out the end, especially with the butt coming to a point for the lanyard hole. That bit hanging out can bang in to stuff if you have smaller hands and are using it in a hammer type of grip. The handle is thin, so I don't see this as a great knife for extended woods type tasks. I have no doubt it could flex into those type of rolls but that isn't really what this knife is designed for and the blade shape/handle show that fact.

Some pics of the handle grip:
QBpnGslh.jpg

DNHLtyrh.jpg

e03KCKSh.jpg

The G-10 is aggressively textured for an extremely secure grip. With the guard and the G-10, this knife isn't going anywhere in your hand! How they hide the pins under the G-10 to attach the handle to make it water proof is very well done. Two small gripes on the G-10. First, there is an intentional gap around the checkered texturing that can hold on to debris. You will want to watch this and flush it out, especially if you are elbow deep in fish guts. The gap will add to the grip though, so not really a flaw, more of a feature. Second, at least on my variant, there are a few small errors in the G-10 that you can see and feel. Hasn't been a problem yet but if I notice it catching on things, I'll sand it down.

Pic:
pyXpDtKh.jpg

Some who are specific about their balance preference should know that the balance point is about a finger width behind where your forefinger sits behind the guard in a hammer grip. So it is a bit handle heavy. Not a problem at all for me but some might take issue.

Pic:
6dZs18gh.jpg

Sheath and Carry:
Anyone who has been around here a while and has seen me post my opinions on sheaths knows I love my kydex and I'm a bit of a snob in how I like the size, retention, and carry attachment. I know what works for me and I will not apologize for it! So with that in mind, I love how Spyderco does their Baltaron sheaths! Form factor is small, with not a lot of extra material around the edges.

Out of the box, retention is very good. Most will be totally satisfied! Me being a snob, I couldn't leave well enough alone so I added a nut and bolt to give that extra bit of retention I desire. I did carry it inverted plenty before I did this, so it wasn't necessary, but still....snob. I also love the G-Clip from spyderco. I have one on nearly all of my fixed blades of this size.

You can see the tiny nut and bolt on the sheath near the guard in this pic:

1Zj7hE3h.jpg

I carry CM (RIP) style inverted usually left rear hip opposite where I carry my pistol. With the G-Clip it is also easy to just throw it on some gym shorts without a belt.

OYvm8joh.jpg

For whatever reason, my sheath/knife combo came with being able to sit in two positions while inserted. One rattles and the other doesn't, both have equal retention. This doesn't really bother me, and that is saying it isn't a problem (remember, I'm a sheath snob), just something to note. Might just be my example anyway. In the pics you can see in the drainage whole the blade sits a little different depending on how it is inserted.

gS2Zu7wh.jpg

2pEw3WRh.jpg

Rust Resistance:
I don't really require rust proof, I just love it! I've had my other salts for years and really appreciate the ability to have a knife that you can not care if it gets covered in corrosive materials for hours or days at a time. I've done plenty of swimming in various environments and logged hundreds of hours sweating with an H1 Pacific Salt clipped to my shorts with no problems. I want the same with LC200N and I can say that so far, it has delivered. I have deliberately left this thing dirty and covered in acidic liquid from food prep and have had no rust issues what so ever. Some light staining does occur but the same thing happens with H1 for me. For my use, LC200N is a huge upgrade over H1 with the ability to get a plain edge, yet have very good edge holding on that plain edge. I doubt I will ever notice any difference in rust resistance between the H1 and LC200N so the plain edge upgrade is a big deal.

Conclusion:
I have no doubt that this knife excels at the tasks Lance Clinton designed it to handle. Spyderco's execution is exceptional, as we have come to expect. With those two things in mind, from my experience you don't need to be on the water to benefit from both the design and execution of this fine knife. If you want a do it all utility knife, give the Waterway a look. Lastly, given all I have said above, the street price of about $160 seems very reasonable. In my opinion, the Waterway is a next level generation type of utility/EDC fixed blade knife. Thanks for reading and please ask questions below!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to do this! Great review! I really like the picture of the waterway and the siren next to each other, you can really see that they're basically the same design, just one is broken in the middle. I'd love to see your thoughts on the siren, I'm guessing it'll perform pretty close to the waterway since it's the same designer and purpose.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Great review! I really like the picture of the waterway and the siren next to each other, you can really see that they're basically the same design, just one is broken in the middle. I'd love to see your thoughts on the siren, I'm guessing it'll perform pretty close to the waterway since it's the same designer and purpose.
Thanks for reading it! After I get more time with the Siren I will do a review. So far it has been great!

Thanx, that was a GREAT read! Love my Waterway as well. I'm praying for LC200N to get to the Delica/Endura platforms soon, like the Salt series..

3rT3IQD.jpg
Thanks! I'd love to see LC200N in just about everything!

Hey Craytab, thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough review of the Waterway! That was a very informative and accurate overview of many of the features of both the knife and sheath. If you don’t mind, I’ll add in a couple of details from the perspective of the designer.

First of all, don’t sell yourself short, you are actually using the Waterway EXACTLY as it was intended. Contrary to common opinion, neither the Waterway nor the Siren were designed to be “Fishing Knives” per se. They are intended to be “do everything” EDC knives that are geared towards outdoor and adventure use. Sure, I am a full time fisherman so I designed an Outdoor Knife that would be capable of handling fishing/hunting/camping related chores but that was not my only focus with these designs. I wanted a knife that I could stick in my waistband and go on a multi-day adventure down the coast or through the jungles here, but also one that would be equally useful in the course of my daily life around the house and work. The Waterway was ALWAYS intended to be a do everything knife...even if you still haven’t “done everything” (yet) that it was made for that doesn’t mean you aren’t using it as intended. You are! ;)

Regarding the sheath, I’m glad you noticed the small footprint. One of my big hang ups with fixed blades is being able to carry them in a way that isn’t a PITA. I live in the tropics and it’s a rare day that I am wearing long pants and a belt, so in order for me to carry a fixed blade everyday it HAS TO be comfortable to carry IWB. With that in mind, we made the sheath as low profile as possible to keep it comfortable for IWB carry in any position. The narrow profile and relatively thin handle and light weight of the Waterway also help with the comfort of IWB carry. When I first got mine I committed to carrying everyday for 30 days. I carried in board shorts and carried from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed at night. Sitting, standing, driving, working, fishing, everything. I carry the knife at 1:00 and within a couple of days I didn’t even notice it was there. With the release of the Siren, I carry the Waterway a little less as a full blown EDC but its still common for me to have it in my waistband all day and not even notice it’s there.

Anyway, just wanted to share the “why” behind a couple of the features you mentioned. Thanks again for taking the time to make such a great review. Tight work!

Surfingringo Surfingringo Thank you for the kind words and also your explanation on those points. Makes perfect sense. I really wanted people to step away from just thinking of the Waterway as a fishing only knife. I'm glad that was your intent as well.

As I said in the review, I am a true sheath snob. Whenever I see a fixed blade I like, I always think to my self, "oh great (rolling eyes), now what is the sheath going to be like". Many great knives are uncarriable because of a poor sheath. Better no sheath than a bad one in my eyes (have a good sheath made or make your own). I've cut the leftover edges off more than a few kydex sheaths to reduce the footprint. On a SOG Seal Pup I've had for near 10 years now, I swear it reduces the foot print by half, just removing the excess kydex. How you guys designed it and how Spyderco does baltaron plus the G-Clip are just great.

Thanks again for your designs and information on Spyderco products. And thanks to Spyderco for all they do. Truly an industry leading company. Your YouTube channel is a really good watch too!

After talking briefly with Lance, I picked up a Siren first and then a Waterway. The first thing that struck me when I got them in hand was that they would both make excellent EDC and DEC ("Do everything carry" :D) knives.

It seems like a lot of Spyderco fans tend to focus on new versions of the "tried and true" models they love, the known stalwarts of the Spyderco lineup if you will. That means that new models like the Waterway and Siren don't sell out so quickly and can be found more readily by those willing to take a chance on a new design. I LOVE my PM2s and Para 3s, and the Siren and Waterway take away nothing from those knives, but instead greatly add to the "world of possibilities" in carrying a knife. I am very happy I have a Waterway and Siren as they truly are great knives and I am fairly sure that these will be harder to find as word gets around and folks catch on. Time will tell.

Thanks for review craytab.
Played 1v1 basketball with waterway iwb, it's good to go.
The sheath's opening is great to put away the knife quickly, the retention is excellent. The way the point drops, also makes it easier to resheath safely. It just works. Absolutely no noise from sheath on my example. Can only put it in one way. Also, don't have any g10 flaws on mine. Great knife, however I do have a big urge to cut off the lanyard hole. Id move the hole in more if I needed one, but just want to rock it without lanyard as it's plenty grippy. I do like lanyards, but want to keep this one clean and I'm not on the boat. The handle would fit the palm better and look more pleasing to me aesthetically. There is room for balance not to suffer and maybe even improve. Lance is the man.
Zk5i1gc.jpg

hn7d8yP.jpg

After talking briefly with Lance, I picked up a Siren first and then a Waterway. The first thing that struck me when I got them in hand was that they would both make excellent EDC and DEC ("Do everything carry" :D) knives.

It seems like a lot of Spyderco fans tend to focus on new versions of the "tried and true" models they love, the known stalwarts of the Spyderco lineup if you will. That means that new models like the Waterway and Siren don't sell out so quickly and can be found more readily by those willing to take a chance on a new design. I LOVE my PM2s and Para 3s, and the Siren and Waterway take away nothing from those knives, but instead greatly add to the "world of possibilities" in carrying a knife. I am very happy I have a Waterway and Siren as they truly are great knives and I am fairly sure that these will be harder to find as word gets around and folks catch on. Time will tell.
I do hope both the Siren and Waterway sell really well, especially the Waterway. I feel sometimes Spyderco doesn't get the notice they deserve on their fixed blades, leading to some getting discontinued quickly.

Thanks for review craytab.
Played 1v1 basketball with waterway iwb, it's good to go.
The sheath's opening is great to put away the knife quickly, the retention is excellent. The way the point drops, also makes it easier to resheath safely. It just works. Absolutely no noise from sheath on my example. Can only put it in one way. Also, don't have any g10 flaws on mine. Great knife, however I do have a big urge to cut off the lanyard hole. Id move the hole in more if I needed one, but just want to rock it without lanyard as it's plenty grippy. I do like lanyards, but want to keep this one clean and I'm not on the boat. The handle would fit the palm better and look more pleasing to me aesthetically. There is room for balance not to suffer and maybe even improve. Lance is the man.
Zk5i1gc.jpg

hn7d8yP.jpg
You're welcome! And thanks for your thoughts. I do agree about the lanyard hole and the butt end. I wish it were a bit shorter in the handle and that would move the balance forward. Still though, a home run of a knife.

Surfingringo Surfingringo Thank you for the kind words and also your explanation on those points. Makes perfect sense. I really wanted people to step away from just thinking of the Waterway as a fishing only knife....
After talking briefly with Lance, I picked up a Siren first and then a Waterway. The first thing that struck me when I got them in hand was that they would both make excellent EDC and DEC ("Do everything carry" :D) knives...

I’m so committed to my belief that it is a “do everything” design that I would like to see it available in Non-Salt versions. I would personally love to have a Siren in a tool steel like m4, cruwear or 4v. Same goes for the Waterway actually...maybe even more so.

Great knife, however I do have a big urge to cut off the lanyard hole. Id move the hole in more if I needed one, but just want to rock it without lanyard as it's plenty grippy. I do like lanyards, but want to keep this one clean and I'm not on the boat. The handle would fit the palm better and look more pleasing to me aesthetically.

No!!!

I really need the hole to utilize my K.O.T.O.F.P.(Knife On The Ocean Floor Prevention)! :D

CkQR33Wh.jpg

GMB1shzh.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to show you guys how I carry the knife and how I set up the G-Clip.

45° and handle down on the right side, I'm a right handed guy as most of you.

This is the smoothest way of carry I've found. Minimizing the contact of clothes and your arms as you are walking, on top of that it works really great when you sit down in your boat or e.g. on a bench.

gJgsBV7h.jpg

I personally like those keychain floatie things. :thumbsup:

Don't trust them on your knife, I've tested them. They can float one single key at best.

You'll need a really big one to keep your knife afloat, to big to carry not looking like an idiot.

Nice write up and review. There was a lot of thought out into the design and it shows.

I’ve often thought on a knife like this that having some buoyancy would be cool.

This is the best solution I have found to keeping things off the ocean floor while not being cumbersome while using the knife. Plenty of float but has a quick detach feature to get the float out of the way. The attachment tab is quite small and I just leave it on my Siren (the one I use for kayak fishing) permanently and just attach the float when needed. I also use these on my phone and GoPro. This actually saved my new IPhone the other day on a failed surf launch.

848EA49E-A0E7-489F-B90A-B0C205E03DD4.jpeg

Awesome write up! I agree with you that this knife and sheath combo is excellent. I carry my fixed blades in the same manner if the sheath allows.

This is the best solution I have found to keeping things off the ocean floor while not being cumbersome while using the knife. Plenty of float but has a quick detach feature to get the float out of the way. The attachment tab is quite small and I just leave it on my Siren (the one I use for kayak fishing) permanently and just attach the float when needed. I also use these on my phone and GoPro. This actually saved my new IPhone the other day on a failed surf launch.

View attachment 1360018

Will one of those float the Waterway?

And do you have a link to the product? I really tried finding something like that a while a go, but didn't find any good ones...

Back