SR1 Pocket clip screws and observations

Hi all. I'll start by saying this is my first post in this section and I'm loving all of my CS blades. Now my question.
Today I took off the pocket clip to sand below it. Putting it back on was a nightmare however. I broke two of the screws. I sent a parts request today. Does anyone know the size of these screws for a google search?
Also the three screws opposite the pocket clip are shorter as the thickness of the clip doesn't apply.
I really love this knife. Mine is rock solid and Is butter smooth. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A small update. Of the three screws only one remains. I've taken everything apart and the screw will thread properly when disassembled. It's only when assembled that the screw threads on only a little then becomes locked. I'm at a complete loss. Even with new screws, I don't think I'll be able to correct this. The teflon washers are also different from each other. The centre of one of them is more oblong rather than round. My guess is that it is meant for the "D" side.

hello I posted a similar issue in these forums.what I did was send the knife back to Cold Steel . ive been waiting over 6 weeks now for it to return . I think your in for the same thing, your going to have to send it into them. I'm guessing it will take up to 2 months for you to see the knife again, any less time than that and youll be lucky.my screws didn't break they stripped out going back in because they were so finely threaded, they seemed to self destruct going back in.i called twice about the knife, I'm hoping to see it in the mail this week. this has been the most disappointing knife ive had in a long time.why they chose these finely threaded crappy screws is beyond me. I have never stripped ascrew out in a knife ever.

I pulled one of the pocket clip screws from mine, and it turns out it's an odd size: M2.2x0.45. Most of the places (knifekits, etc.) that sell extra screws jump from 2mm to 2.5mm. :(

unnamed.jpg

hello I posted a similar issue in these forums.what I did was send the knife back to Cold Steel . ive been waiting over 6 weeks now for it to return . I think your in for the same thing, your going to have to send it into them. I'm guessing it will take up to 2 months for you to see the knife again, any less time than that and youll be lucky.my screws didn't break they stripped out going back in because they were so finely threaded, they seemed to self destruct going back in.i called twice about the knife, I'm hoping to see it in the mail this week. this has been the most disappointing knife ive had in a long time.why they chose these finely threaded crappy screws is beyond me. I have never stripped ascrew out in a knife ever.

This is a huge disappointment. I've requested two new screws, but I'm not sure how they are going to go in if I can't get the one good one in. It will be years before I get it back. I'm in Canada. All because of a pocket clip? Please CS read this. Why is this happening?

I've said so many good things about this knife, but now my opinion may be changing. Shitty cheap little screws on a beast of a knife? Sorry.

Hopefully CS will work out some of the bugs people have had issues with so far. It sounds like they need to tighten up the tolerances on the lock on this model, and also start using some real screws (3mm would be awesome). Though I've had no issues so far with mine, I'd like to get another one as a spare, but I'm not going to do so until/unless CS addresses these issues. We'll see.

Is there an imperial conversion for this screw M2.2x0.45 button screw? Usaknifemaker has a large inventory.

I'll see if I can fit the screw into any of the holes in my Imperial gauge. Give me a few minutes.

Okay. It fits perfectly in the 2-56 hole. I can't tell any difference in how it threads in and out, amount of play, etc. between the 2-56 hole and the 2.2mm one. I still think it's actually 2.2mm, since it's made in Taiwan (could be wrong, of course), but it appears a 2-56 screw would do the job. Length of the screw is 8mm or 5/16" (.3125").

unnamed 2.jpg

edit: It looks like 2-56x5/16" isn't a common size. Usaknifemaker has some Ti screws in that size (search 2-56 5/16), but they're pricier than the steel ones. Alternately, you could purchase some 2-56x3/8" screws (much more common) and grind/file them down to fit. The downside it that tiny screws that have been ground down in length can be tricky to get started in the threads, and since you're already having trouble with the stock screws threading in, that could be an issue. The best way to handle this is to get a 2-56 nut and thread the ground down screws into it before trying them in the knife. This sort of helps straighten out any burrs or partial threads left over from the grinding process.

Last edited:
Okay. It fits perfectly in the 2-56 hole. I can't tell any difference in how it threads in and out, amount of play, etc. between the 2-56 hole and the 2.2mm one. I still think it's actually 2.2mm, since it's made in Taiwan (could be wrong, of course), but it appears a 2-56 screw would do the job. Length of the screw is 8mm or 5/16" (.3125").

View attachment 756359

edit: It looks like 2-56x5/16" isn't a common size. Usaknifemaker has some Ti screws in that size (search 2-56 5/16), but they're pricier than the steel ones. Alternately, you could purchase some 2-56x3/8" screws (much more common) and grind/file them down to fit. The downside it that tiny screws that have been ground down in length can be tricky to get started in the threads, and since you're already having trouble with the stock screws threading in, that could be an issue. The best way to handle this is to get a 2-56 nut and thread the ground down screws into it before trying them in the knife. This sort of helps straighten out any burrs or partial threads left over from the grinding process.

Great job and thank you! I have taken the one remaining long screw and had success in threading it in one of the three holes clip side and all three of the holes pivot side. I have removed the pivot side screws and they all thread into the clip side smoothly. All screws thread perfectly into every hole when the knife is apart. Something else is happening when the knife is assembled (head scratch). I think a 2-56 1/4" should give enough of a bite I think. It's only -1/16". Thoughts?

Unfortunately, 1/4" won't work. The screws on the side opposite the clip are 1/4" long. I tried one of them in the pocket clip side with the clip in place, and it bottomed out before engaging the threads. :(

$52.00 USD for 4 screws shipped. I don't like where this is going. I love everything else about this knife too.
My recommendation to you YouTube reviewers. DO NOT post a review until you have successfully disassembled then reassembled the knife. Warranty? who needs stinking warranty! No but seriously...

Unfortunately, 1/4" won't work. The screws on the side opposite the clip are 1/4" long. I tried one of them in the pocket clip side with the clip in place, and it bottomed out before engaging the threads. :(

Non clip side screws are measured at 7/32", but it's mute anyways if the threading is an issue. I'm beginning to think that the problem lies in the barrel it's self. I can take a 7/32 screw and sink it all the way, yet I can only go a short way with the 5/16". Yet that same 5/16" will go all the way on all but the two "problem" barrels. Is any of this making sense? I can figure this one out....head scratch.

Go to knifekits.com and check there. They sell packages of 25 2-56 screws for US $2.95. You'll have to go with .5" length and shorten from there, as they have neither 5/16 or 3/8 length in a suitable format. I don't know where in Canada you are, but I estimated shipping for a zip code in Ontario, and it showed $16-something for USPS service. Roughly $20 is still pricey for a few screws, but it beats the heck out of $52.

edit: I soooo wish I'd taken a pic of the knife when I had it apart. I remember there being barrel connectors for the screws but can't remember the outside diameter of them. If the barrels' walls are thick enough, it might be possible to drill them out to 4-40 (2.8mm) and re-tap them, allowing the use of beefier and more readily available screws. I'm not sure when I'll have the knife apart again, but I'm definitely going to look into this when I do. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Go to knifekits.com and check there. They sell packages of 25 2-56 screws for US $2.95. You'll have to go with .5" length and shorten from there, as they have neither 5/16 or 3/8 length in a suitable format. I don't know where in Canada you are, but I estimated shipping for a zip code in Ontario, and it showed $16-something for USPS service. Roughly $20 is still pricey for a few screws, but it beats the heck out of $52.

Great minds. I just ordered some located in Ontario. Qty (8) 2-56 5/16" $13.00 CDN. They are black, but I don't care at this point. I just hope they thread on without damaging the barrels.

it makes no sense why these screws self destruct when they go back in.they start to go in fine then bog down after a few turns. never seen anything like it.

I can confirm all of this also. One of my SR1's screws also didn't want to go back in, and taking knives apart and fiddling is something i find the most enjoyable and have never stripped a screw in 15 years, due to me being so OCD. So i'm sorry Cold Steel, it's a great knife, but the screws used on this are an absolute JOKE. Even my Voyagers have more stout screws/threads than this monster SR1. Such a poor choice for such a tanky, purpose built knife. And i've said it before, but what the hell is wrong with these knife companies, use some T-8 screws for crying out loud, T-6 heads are just stupid, zero excuse for using them.

Back