Starting a whetstone collection

I want to start getting a proper whetstone collection so I can sharpen properly. Money is an object but I dont want to be stingy. I want to make sure i have the proper grits first and foremost. I was thinking of getting a coarser stone made of diamond thatwould double as a lapping stone, something like 400. Ive been really eying the Shapton glass stones and was considering maybe a couple of those. 1000 grit and a second at either 4000 or 6000, but sure which would be better. I am also considering a polishing stone at 8000 or so but am wondering if a Shapton is needed there or if a somewhat cheaper 8000 whetstone will do well for polishing.

Does that grit range sound correct? 400, 1000, 4000/6000, 8000?

400/1500 stone is what I use the most honestly, I have 3000/8000 stone too but it's more of a novelty than a need to have basically mirror edge, same goes for strops.

I also have have 600 diamond sharpener and diamond stropping paste for harder steels, those steels prefer toothy edge and you can maintain their edge for a long time only with stropping.

I would reverse engineer your buying plans and think about how you usually sharpen and to what grit. I have free hand sharpened since I was a kid starting in the early 60s, and it took somewhere around the 2000s for me to realize that not all steels perform well to really high grit sharpening. So look at the steels on your knives and ask yourself, am I really going to need to shave with my knife? If you enjoy sharpening and a mirror bevel edge is what you like, go for it! Freehand sharpening to get a mirror edge (in my experience) is almost impossible.

That's a pretty good selection of stones you have in your list, but buying good ones can cost a pretty penny. Good stones will last a lifetime with care, but are pointless if you don't need them. So (for example) if you are now sharpening to 600gr and then stropping, you can get rid of the last couple of stones. Personally, I sharpen all of my knives to 1200, then strop if needed for my pocket knives. For my work knives, that seems to be the optimal grit. Works well for my kitchen knives, too. I have a friend that sharpens freehand with a homemade belt rig out of the back of his converted mail truck. He says that he sharpens to a very smooth 600gr for all his chef knives (some cheap, some expensive) and depending on the knife about 800gr for hunting knives during the season. Reason being it is easier to cut meat and skin with a toothier edge, and a not so fine edge can be brought right back up to speed with a few swipes on a stone or rod.

I would also take a look at the lowest grit you have listed. If you damage one of your blades or buy a damaged knife, or have one of your amigos ask you to repair his damage, 400 is a pretty high grit to use to get rid of edge deformation, chipping and just a plain old butter knife edge. I would move that number down to about 180 grit so you can remove metal as needed more quickly.

When I learned to sharpen I started with three of my grandfather's stones. An old gray Norton carborundum stone of unknown, but aggressive grit. Then a natural stone of some grit, then a natural stone of higher grit probably an Arkansas stone, then the back of an old belt as needed. I sharpened on those for 20 years! But in the 60s and 70s, steels were generally much softer and it was pretty to see, but a really polished edge wouldn't hold under practical use. So they were a good match.

Today's steels are much harder. Sharpening some of these steels that are run at 57 - 60 Rockwell are a real labor of love on a whetstone. If you have to reset the factory bevel edge when you get a new knife or repair a damaged knife, it can take hours, literally when hand sharpening. When repairing the edge for a friend of mine, I went all the way down to 60 grit to undo damage on his Kershaw with S110V. It still took hours.

Think it through and match your stones to your steels and the use of your knives. I prefer a mix of sharpening tools these days, but since you are asking specifically about stones, there we are.

Robert

Today's steels are much harder. Sharpening some of these steels that are run at 57 - 60 Rockwell are a real labor of love on a whetstone. If you have to reset the factory bevel edge when you get a new knife or repair a damaged knife, it can take hours, literally when hand sharpening. When repairing the edge for a friend of mine, I went all the way down to 60 grit to undo damage on his Kershaw with S110V. It still took hours.

Robert

Consider getting a Baryonyx Manticore.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/bambest.html

It hogs off metal fast.

first ask yourself, "do i collect or do i use?" if you use, then ask yourself again "how sharp does the knife need to be?" a "workhorse edge" is almost never razor sharp, i refer to workhorse edges as crudely sharp, as they will get the job done while still preserves the integrity of the edge, if you make the edge razor sharp you run the risk of thinning it out and making it brittle, my advice is to try a few sharpening rods from Smiths, and a few ceramic rods from Spyderco, no expert here, just my experience, good luck

Last edited:
Consider getting a Baryonyx Manticore.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/bambest.html

Nice stone, good price, too. Since I have been the "designated sharpener" for my buddies, I use more firepower. For a damaged knife I use my 1x30 belt sander with a 60 grit belt and go up from there. Great for repair and great for convexing an edge. Final edge with a much finer belt, then sharpening/hone with other equipment.

For smaller knives, I use my Worksharp sharpener and it has a variety of belts along with guides and a variable speed motor to get the job done. This has been a real asset to me to repair or sharpen the kitchen knives of my friends. They love a sharp knife, but can't sharpen or even touch up themselves, so they let their knives go too long without a tune up.

To "set" an edge to a specific angle, not convex which I favor for my traditional folders, I use my Lansky setup. It takes practice to use it correctly, but so do most sharpening devices and procedures. It goes from 60gr to the 2000gr "Super Sapphire and will mirror an edge if needed, and they even make a leather accessory that you can charge with compound and get a flawless mirror edge.

But my go to everyday is my EZLap 12" oval rod in 1200gr. After a couple of years of using nearly every day it is smoother than that, but the diamonds are hanging on! It puts a keen edge on a knife, freehand, that you can shave with. Honestly, I haven't used my stones in years. They provided me 20 years of practice to learn how to sharpen freehand though, so I am glad I started there.

Robert

OK you guys bring up some good points. I have a decent array of knives but my intent is this is mostly for kitchen knives, but here's what I use:

Enso HD chef knife, VG-10 steel w/ Rockwell 61. 17 deg blade angle

Mercer chef knife, unsure of steel but 56 rockwell

Buck Vantage flipper with 420 HC steel, unsure of hardness, 20 drg blade angle

Rat 3 with 1095 carbon steel

Also I have a random Kershaw folder, a HB Forge tomahawk and would like to sharpen my mom's Henkel's knives.

If none of my blades have major chips or diets in them, is something like a 180 too low? Also, you can go straight from a 600/800 to a strop? Would you not have to strop for hours?

I certainly am going for form over vanity. A nice mirror finish is nice but far less important than maintaining a good edge

I have a King 1000/6000 wetstone which did a great job with my CTS XHP Code 4 knife.

For the price point this stone is excellent value. I find the 1000 a bit soft but the 6000 is hard as rock and gives a lovely polish, yes it has its flaws - it loads up etc, but your paying at least double for an equivalent stone from a decent manufacturer.

I second the points about understanding what you want your knives to do before buying stones, personally I use 6000 for my vegetable slicers in the kitchen and don’t feel the need to go higher, for my butchery or carving knives I keep at 800.

At a very base level you need an x-coarse (aka the manticore) to fix any major issues or help you quickly fix those very dull knives your family bring round, something around the 1000 mark (I use the Naniwa pro 800 - my most used stone) and then a polishing stone of some description (if required).

You may consider switching the manticore for something around the 3-400 to give a shorter jump to the next stone in the progression. Again I have the coarse DMT which I use more than my manticore equivalent.

Just be aware that although all the famous brands generally provide excellent stones they have certain stones in their range that are better performing than others. Do your research.

For the steels you mention the best i've experienced:

Shapton Glass 500 and 2000.
Atoma 140 exclusively for lapping the Shaptons.
Or :
DMT Coarse and belgian blue Stone.

I'm not saying those combinations are the bests, i just say they are excellent.

Dan.

Damn, thx for all the help. I really didn't think one could skip from 4-500 to 2000 or higher. If a knife doesn't need reprofiling or is just plain dull, is a 2000 sufficient to start on? Im getting the gyst that something like 6-8000 is unnecessary....

2000 is a bit too much to start a progression on imo. It will keep a sharp knife sharp but take too long to bring a dull knife back. As I said in a previous post 800-1000 is decent for maintenance. A lot of people stop around the 400 mark mostly for EDC, I prefer a finer apex for kitchen work

500 to 2000 isn't a big jump and yes, you can maintain an edge with a high grit if you include the maintenance in your routine. Which means not let an edge dull too much.
Take in considération that i'm talking about carbon steel and low alloyed tool steel. I can't speak for steels with high amount of carbides.

Dan.

Last edited:
You have nothing exotic, so that means your stone choices are open.
People jump up to a strop from any point - it's a question of how toothy they like an edge and if you are talking a loaded strop or not.
For kitchen use, both meat and vegetable, a lot of people don't go any higher than a 3K edge. On that Mercer & Henckels there isn't much point in going beyond a 2K edge and stropping.
Unless you do some damage there isn't much point in a 180 stone.
Really on kitchen knives I do a lot of SG500 then 2K (various) then polish.

I'd go with a set of DMTs: 220 grit for re-profiling, 600 and 1200 for everything else. Diamonds work on any steel. My DMTs have lasted for decades.

I was thinking the 4000 and 8000 may only be for the Enso and future Miyabi.

What is a decent diamond stoje for low grit? Something in the 180-400 range. I know about DMT but is that necessary if im not using it much? Are there any cheaper options that will still get the job done?

Thx for all the help

I was thinking the 4000 and 8000 may only be for the Enso and future Miyabi.

What is a decent diamond stoje for low grit? Something in the 180-400 range. I know about DMT but is that necessary if im not using it much? Are there any cheaper options that will still get the job done?

Thx for all the help

Ultra Sharp diamonds are a good value. But, from what I've seen you list I'd just get a Norton JB8 for the course coverage.

Ultra Sharp diamonds are a good value. But, from what I've seen you list I'd just get a Norton JB8 for the course coverage.
Awesome. Thanks. The Ultra Sharp stones appear to only go down to 300 grit. That enough to take care of chips or reprofiling?

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks. The Ultra Sharp stones appear to only go down to 300 grit. That enough to take care of chips or reprofiling?

It'll handle quite a bit with the lower-carbide steels. But I'd probably still opt for the Norton. Any time I'm sharpening the simpler steels, I've come to prefer Norton Crystolon, Norton India and sometimes Arkansas for finishing. They're just simple, relatively inexpensive, forgiving stones that do good things with the low-carbide stuff.

The Baryonyx Manticore is an excellent stone for repair and quick re-profiling but I'd recommend starting on something less course until you get a feel for things.

That said, I also have no experience with water stones so I can't make any comparisons there. For that, I'd follow O Ourorboros ' advice.

Also, no matter what you choose, remember, a Sharpie is your best ally in sharpening. I prefer red to black.

Last edited:
Back