Stealth Membership

Can someone tell me the logical reasons for stealth mode? I'm in it now, as a matter of fact. I joined yesterday- saying 'yes' to the feature offered by the forum that allows me to roam without my name appearing in threads or at the bottom of the main page.

But why? A community is a place where one arrives, looks to see where his friends are, and joins in. Sometimes as a mod or 'private citizen' I'd intentionally keep the computer screen on a single controversial thread- and my name clearly at the bottom of the page- so that others would know I was available to talk to.

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud. What are the reasons for stealth mode? What benefit, and what harm does this feature do to a group of friends?

munk

Munk, it does seem strange, but belonging to a common forum does not mean we are all friends. It shows several people have a similar interest in a subject for whatever reason. Many of us become friends over a period of time but not all.
I use it from time to time, just as camo I suppose.

Dick

Uh huh. That's certainly reality. I wonder what contact, what words could have been exchanged but for 'stealth'? Stealth is good to monitor an area. It is not good for clear, open handed participation.

I am just wondering- thinking aloud with you all. No accusing going on.

munk

I'm like you Munk. If I see somebodies name at the bottom and I have something to share that they might enjoy, it makes me more likely to post that knowing they might be there and answer right away.

However I have seen instances where like a member had a tendency to harass the female members, or somebody has a grudge against somebody and goes around and craps on their posts if you understand the terminology, and the stealth mode allows the person being trolled or harassed to get on there, make posts and contribute without the person being able to follow them as closely.

I personally have never used it though cause I am like you in that it's neat to see who all is home:thumbup: ;)

One of the things that I try hard to live by is to not say anything on a forum that I wouldn't say to a person if they were standing in front of me. It (hopefully) keeps the dialog civil and shows that you are willing to stand behind what you say. For me, I'd feel very uncomfortable hanging around a place where I felt I needed to go stealth.

Lots of people like to keep secrets and not let other people know they are reading or watching, hence the common use of anon internet identites in general.

-Cliff

I'm here. I turned it off. I only got to be a man behind the scenes for 24 hours.

munk

"stealth mode" is 24/7 for me.

No secrets to hide.

No unwillingness to post or chat.

No games being played.

Just a choice.

Kind of like the choice I made to use my full name for my handle - we all have our reasons.

That, to me, is the beauty of the cantina - no homogeny, whether forced or implied. All are welcome, regardless of whether they come cloaked/masked, or completely exposed.

Yes, it is a choice. But I'd still like to hear more reasons 'why'. Dan, you did not address that, only the rightness of the choice for you. And no, if they are too personal to reveal, I am not asking. (lol)
Still hoping some one can come by and tell me
Why?

munk

The stealth mode could be used be a forumite to monitor someone they were suspicious of. Example, a troll is banned and a few days later a new guy/girl appears. If I thought the new guy might be the troll, I could see which threads he was reading without detected. If the newbie is reading several threads that the troll was banned before he was replied to, the newbie could be the troll. However, newbies (and those just passing through) often check out locked and large threads out of curiousity, so my example isn't the best. I like HD's reason of avoiding harassment.

Bob

A Slightly tounge in cheek comment on on some "stealthys" possible mind set. ;)

They are watching you. They can see your every move. They are closer than you think. They know all that you do, all of you online forum idiosyncrasies. Can you see them, or feel their presence? No You can’t, because they are cleverer than you. They are the "stealthys" !!! :D :D

Spiral :rolleyes:

If people knew I was online, they'd steal my toilet paper coupons more often.

This way I don't have to use leaves as much. :rolleyes: ;)

Bruise, its OK to use leaves, but please remove them from the shrub when you're through.

munk

Back