steel or rubber watch band?

shootist16

knife law moderator
Which one do you choose and why?

I like the looks of a steel band but admit I prefer the comfort of the rubber ones.

I like steel, though I have had problems with my wrists when wearing haevier watches, so I am back to leather again.

I actually prefer the Waterborne nylon strap (depending on the watch). It is a solid piece of gear and is more durable than rubber, IMHO. Check out www.broadarrow.net for details. I bought mine at Extreme Outfitters in Jacksonville, NC.

Chris

Attachments

• wb8.jpg
    wb8.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 586
I like the looks of steel. But I haven't ever seen a secure closure method for steel. The ones I've tried kept popping off during various activities.

That leaves the rubber (on your list of options). These will last a few years, then need replacing. Not counting just the band, which I replaced a number of times, I even wore the rubber surround off my G-Shock too. Took about 8 years though. I didn't trust the rubber bands as a long term wear solution in the end.

I prefer dial watches, but haven't found one I can afford that could survive my lifestyle. My latest time piece is a cheap Timex Indiglo set up as a plastic carabiner. That's been Ok so far this year.

Phil

My watch is on a leather band that goes all the way around, with the watch face sitting on top of the band, rather than being a part of it. On most watches the weakest part is those pins, but on mine the face is on top of the band, not a part of it. I find leather much more comfortable than rubber, though metal is nice too.

Jason,

I have a band like that only it is nylon. Would love a leather one for daily use. Is it nice enoguh for business wear? Where'd you find it.

THANKS!!

My Luminox 3005 came with a rubber wrist band...I hated it! It just felt weird and didn't "breath." Sweat would build up under it. The watch also came with a nylon/Velro band. I put that one on in a quick heartbeat! Very comfortable! I like leather and steel, depending on the watch.

Steel is the way to go. If you get a Rolex or Tag with the additonal diver clasp they are very secure (at least I have found them to be during activities such as Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing and war - sorry peacekeeping :D ).

Regards,

Ed

CPR,

By any chance do they have anymore of those Waterborne nylon straps in-stock where you bought yours? That looks just like what I'm looking for...

I wore a Swiss Army Watch (Renegade) with rubber strap for about 5 years and liked it.

View

Now I ware a steel bracelete watch and like it even better. :)

View

Security is much better with a rubber/nylon/leather band. You only have to worry about the two pins, but in the case of a steel bracelet, you have a lot of "potential failures" with all these links.
Although a top quality steel bracelet should be well made and dependable, I have seen such a failure. It only happened once in my lifetime, but once is enough for me to feel uneasy about holding my hand outside the boat when powerboating or jet-skiing.

For top security, choose one of the nylon watchbands that are threaded through the pins and passing under the watch. Even if one of the pins fails, the watch is held on your wrist by the other pin.

Hey Dann,
Originally posted by glockman99
CPR,

By any chance do they have anymore of those Waterborne nylon straps in-stock where you bought yours? That looks just like what I'm looking for...
That band looks very nice...and at an attractive price. If you pick one of those up, I'd be interested in how it compares to your Luminox nylon band.

Those nylon bands do look good. Do the metal loops tend to hit the watch? Any way those could scratch it up?

I like the velcro bands with a woven design ... there's no metal at all. You can get them in dive shops and a lot of sporting goods stores have them now, even discount stores have them ... you can get different designs....

Originally posted by CD Fleischer
Jason,

I have a band like that only it is nylon. Would love a leather one for daily use. Is it nice enoguh for business wear? Where'd you find it.
I found it at Hot Topic. I checked their website for a picture to post but they don't have it listed on there. I suppose "business wear" is different from person to person, but it has seven silver spikes on each side.

I'm with CPR!

I've been using one for my G-Shock for about 2 years now. I've broken a couple of pins but the way the band is set up, I have never lost my watch. Best money I've ever spent on a watch part.

Dan

You like rubber but think metal looks better. That's exactly what I have, a rubber band covered with metal. It's made by Seiko one of the Kinetic models. I don't have a pic but can take one if you want.

I like steel. My 10 year old Tag has been in salt water a lot but there are no signs of rust.

I went to the website given by CPR (the military watch resource), contacted the email address given, was quoted a price of $15 bucks (delivered) for the "waterborne dive strap" and within a week, wallah! It arrived today. I got the 20mm strap, which did not come with that extra inner lining you see in the above pic. Nonetheless, it seems like it will hold up quite well.

Back