Stockman roundup.. Lets see 'em...

Thanks, looks like that's going to be an expensive answer. Always looking for "the one". I've got baby bear and papa bear, hope the Calf Roper is mama bear.

Alan

IMG_2594_zpswlgensxi.jpg

I would say this is a very early 8OT [Pre 1965], looking at the Match-strick... Ken

Really?! I had no idea it was that early, makes it all the more interesting.

Here is a pic of the match strike pull, and the back tang showing the 8OT which is quite large compared to many tang stamps I have seen.

I just received my GEC 66 Calf Roper and although it's not "the one" it is a beauty. I was hoping for a slightly larger main blade but it will be a fine user. And, contrary to popular opinion, I LOVE the etch. It reminds me of bygone days. Here is a comparison shot with my Case Humpback Stockman.

Alan

Really?! I had no idea it was that early, makes it all the more interesting.

Here is a pic of the match strike pull, and the back tang showing the 8OT which is quite large compared to many tang stamps I have seen.
This is my 1961 Saw-cut Bone 8OT.
The early 8OTs had the blade chamfer, that goes almost to the end of the match-strike.
image.php

They also made these "935 Old Timers" for John Primble, in 1971-73. They sold for $4.57 each.
image.php

Last edited:
Very nice collection of Schrade stockman. Those red bone are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

My two most recent additions, a primitive bone Calf Roper and a green bone Fight'n Rooster.

c5f596d2-3b83-472b-bc69-d7c023286f28_zpsjzhnph1i.jpg~original

b5896b39-a66d-4e1e-9eca-784303b7028f_zpsc7kiaj5z.jpg~original

Thanks, WA. The dark patina looks good to me against the light colored bone. It's a user for sure.

My two most recent additions, a primitive bone Calf Roper and a green bone Fight'n Rooster.

c5f596d2-3b83-472b-bc69-d7c023286f28_zpsjzhnph1i.jpg~original

b5896b39-a66d-4e1e-9eca-784303b7028f_zpsc7kiaj5z.jpg~original

Those are a couple of standout stock knives, Jeff! :thumbup::thumbup:
I saw the Fight'n Rooster recently in another thread, but didn't realize it was a recent addition; congrats! Do you know anything about the Lockwood Construction Company? Fight'n Rooster would be a good addition to the recent Tang Stamp thread! :cool:

- GT

Thanks, GT, not much info other than they made 200 of them in 1996. This is one of the Frank Buster Celebrated Cutlery knives, not the earlier Frank Buster Cutlery mark, which ended around 1982. It is also an unusual size for a stockman, measured with a caliper at 3.80 inches. Most of them drop from 3⅞ down to 3⅝, but this one is right in the middle at just a hair over 3¾ inches closed.

That is beautiful bone. What does Case call that particular series?
Kentucky Blue Grass. The one on display and another had a light blue hue. Two others had a dark green like mine. The clerk was nice enough to open all and let me choose which one I wanted.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

After scratching it up with a brass wire brush, and cleaning the pivots thoroughly, I'm carrying this a lot more.

c358bb18ffd9b6ecf912f7538528bb57.jpg

Connor

Böker Germany, Large Stockman, Grand Canyon Bone/carbon. Carries better than the Big CASE due to its rounded bolsters and more svelte lines. A good old school carbon Stockman at a decent price.

IMG_2841.jpg

Back