Sub 3 inch Spyderco knife with very tough steel?

I need a short blade knife for city EDC and think spyderco's grippy designs will be good for handling.

any good new models with preferably non plasticky handles?

pics appreciated.

thx

A few depending your budget.
Native 5 in G10 and S110V
Techno
Chaparral in CF or ti scale
A fancy Damascus Delica with Ti handle
Para 3
Sage series
Dice

All are favorites but if I had to pick 3 for rotations
Native 5 in S110V with G10
Techno
Dice
Back lock, frame lock and a flipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few depending your budget.
Native 5 in G10 and S110V
Techno
Chaparral in CF or ti scale
A fancy Damascus Delica with Ti handle
Para 3
Sage series
Dice

All are favorites but if I had to pick 3 for rotations
Native 5 in S110V with G10
Techno
Dice
Back lock, frame lock and a flipper

thanks a lot.
Native 5 looks great. especially with G10.
does it have same type of compression lock as PM2?
also, how light does it feel in hands?

Native 5 with G10 .Feels great in the hand.
65f669fd7b9ad2b7f7d55ec41e8ecc8b.jpg
74ff016e056896d096f2618e47d3e6a7.jpg

thanks a lot.
Native 5 looks great. especially with G10.
does it have same type of compression lock as PM2?
also, how light does it feel in hands?

Sage 5 has the same compression lock. I just had a thread with a similar but different objective, I wanted a thin option for EDC with 3" being the max allowed in the city I work in. Here's the link and the list it generated below that (not all spydercos). The spydercos were the native, sage series, chaparral, para3 and the delica. The persistance was a cheaper option.

Native 5 is a backlock.

Native, sage, and chap got high recommendations from the group. Native and sage are right about at 3" and the chap is more a split between the dragonfly and the sage/native in size. Native is suppose to win out on ergos over the sage and sage wins out of looks, IMO. The chap has a very thin blade in comparison, is very "slicey", and is more of a gentlemen's folder than the other two. The sage and chap have the wire clip (my fave from spydie) and the native had a more standard clip.

If you like red and black and serrations there's a limited edition native 5 on spyderco's website that bennies the fallen fire fighter's coalition and is at a good price, IMO. It is the FRN, plasticy, handles. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41NSSRD5/1008

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1458184-Sog-Mini-Aegis-Like-Knife-Recommendation

Delica
Sage
Leek
Mini-grip
native
HK mini axis
Chaparral

I'm curious what you mean by "tough?" Tough as in wear resistance or tough as in it won't chip easily?

S35vn is a good wear resistant steel but it isn't as prone to chip as something like S110v which should hold an edge longer.

Dragonfly nishijin ZDP-189. The FRN scales are more grippy though.

Is this still available as regular production for purchase?

It was a sprint run, so it's no longer regular production. Last I checked a few places still had new ones though. The G-10 version is regular production however, and is grippier.

If you're looking at the Techno I'd also recommend the Burch Chubby, which has the same blade thickness with a different profile:
d55cd491e78c024838d119e5594c7e26.jpg

Native 5.
S35
S90
S110

Or a Dragonfly in ZDP.

Out of curiosity, how much nicer is the ZDP over VG-10 that's on the regular dragonfly? I always considered VG-10 a very nice steel for the money though I'm fairly new to the more premium steels. It seems like most recommendations I've seen recently on the dragonfly always add in the ZDP option as a "must".

You have to remember you are speaking to a bunch of folks crazy about knives! Nicer is relative especially since some of the fellas have 100+ knives in their collection. As a regular everyday user its better to have DMT sharpening equipment. It will handle regular everyday cutting and keeping a working edge for quite some time. I think for BF members its fun just to try out new to them steels and figure out what they like best.

I had a ZDP Dragonfly and loved it, but I loved the H1 and VG10 versions the same.

Thanks cchu for the information. Sounds like the uniqueness is big part of the consideration factor, which I completely understand.

Out of curiosity, how much nicer is the ZDP over VG-10 that's on the regular dragonfly? I always considered VG-10 a very nice steel for the money though I'm fairly new to the more premium steels. It seems like most recommendations I've seen recently on the dragonfly always add in the ZDP option as a "must".
I've had both, and I have to say the vg10 is probably better for everyday use, mainly because sharpening the ZDP can be kind of a pain. Vg10 is much lower maintenance, and perfectly serviceable unless you're doing a ton of cutting in one session. I don't think the ZDP is a must by any means.

My 2¢: don't worry about the steel. That's what the knifemaker does for us, practically any modern steel that Spyderco (or any other reputable brand) uses is fine. I have a large Spyderco folder I purchased in 2000, made with AUS-8 steel. People are more than willing to tell me how AUS-8 steel is outdated, doesn't do this, won't do that, is inferior because...

I used that knife as my EDC for, oh, 16 years. I never once sharpened it. I've cut open innumerable boxes; broken down pounds and pounds of cardboard; cut hundreds of zip ties; made more cuts of CAT-5 cable than I care to admit; I've used it to cut relatively thick plastic; in a pinch, I remember using it as a screwdriver.

I finally sharpened it last month for the first time. Took me all of 10 minutes on the Sharpmaker. This week, I touched it up with a leather strop, a leather shoelace, and some green compound. It is back to extremely sharp, sharper than when I purchased it. (Aside from the very tip. I always have a problem with my tip. Once we get past the tip, things go smoothly. :highly_amused: )

There is not a spot of corrosion on the blade. No chips. The only problem my eye can detect is that two of the small teeth show the slightest amount of rollover to the back of the blade; I might be able to hone that out, haven't tried.

The entire knife works fine. Lock-up is great. The action is perfect. Zero blade play.

But that AUS-8 steel...really sucks. /sarcasm.

Back