Suggest a knife directly comparable to a Field Knife...

So the FK has to be my favorite knife around the 4" blade length mark. There are a couple small things that I would like to change could I do anything I wanted to it, but overall I have not found anything that beats it.

I would like to do a comparison, perhaps something like a shoot-out.

What knife would you suggest is close to the FK either slightly better or worse?

I have some ideas, and some comparable knives but I don't want to lead the comments so I will keep my thoughts to myself for now.

Don't need suggestions that are no where near the quality or performance wise.

I look forward to what you all suggest!

YouTube?!? Helllllllllll no. You will be lucky to get decent pics.

I'll probably just buy a bunch of the suggestions while denying this whole thing is intended to feed my confirmation bias and claim all competitors are inferior within seconds of seeing them.

Then I better not name any names on a public forum because of my own extrajudicial bias :)

The TRC K-1 is a 4.5 inch knife made of Elmax that I have looked at online long and hard and seems to be a good knife from what I've read. I contacted them about a 6.5 inch version but they weren't planning on making one.
Maybe someone who has handled one will chime in but it looks to be a good contender but since I've never handled one I don't know, just a suggestion.

Busse Badger Attack or SAR would best compare to the FK in terms of size and intended use.

fallkniven f1 is pretty comparable

The TRC K-1 is a 4.5 inch knife made of Elmax that I have looked at online long and hard and seems to be a good knife from what I've read. I contacted them about a 6.5 inch version but they weren't planning on making one.
Maybe someone who has handled one will chime in but it looks to be a good contender but since I've never handled one I don't know, just a suggestion.

I've got a K1s, a scaled-down K1.

Similarities:
-similar size class.
-well fit and finished.
-utilization of modern steel and handle material.
-even grinds.

Differences:
-OAL, the trc is shorter than the cpk in both blade and handle.
-flat slabs on the trc, no palm swell contour.
-more heft to the fk.
-leather sheath on some of the trc's, usually pouch style, although some come with kydex.
-rounded spine on the trc with a short section of nice jimping.
-satin finish trc vs the cpk tumbled finish.

Subjective stuff: Although they are similar in size, they feel very different. The trc would make a better concealed or high-ride carry blade than the FK, whereas the FK excels during long work sessions and is more substantial. The two trc's I have are very nice though, and I would recommend them, but don't see them as direct competition to the field knife. If you're looking at the K1 cold one, the TRC is a nice blade.

OK then, I won't stay mum any more. Survive! Knives 4.1 with new HT in 3VD ;)

That's the first thing that came into my mind as well Mat. I don't have a new model 4.1, but have everything around it, and going by the specs, it should be close. Did you end up with the new model?

That's the first thing that came into my mind as well Mat. I don't have a new model 4.1, but have everything around it, and going by the specs, it should be close. Did you end up with the new model?

Nah, but told the young Mr. Fournier where to find one for the sake of his research.

The FK has also become my favourite blade in this size range.

I'd really like to see someone do a detailed comparison with the new S!K GSO 4.1 model. Supertac916 did a comparison not too long ago, but it was with a pre-delta FK.

Two of my favorite Busse knives, the anorexic BOSS Street (INFI) and Basic 5 (modified INFI) are similar in size to the Field Knife.

IMG_2993.jpg IMG_2994.jpg

The profile isn't similar but I keep thinking of the Winkler II Belt Knife. There is a TAD version in 3V. If you compare models I'd try to rule out steels. D3V is superior to all and kinda not fair to any other steel. I also immediately thought of the new 4.1.

Two of my favorite Busse knives, the anorexic BOSS Street (INFI) and Basic 5 (modified INFI) are similar in size to the Field Knife.

Wow, that picture confirms that I need to lock down a CABS some day. I didn't realize it was that close in this size, thanks for that :thumbsup: Also that anorexic version looks slicey!

How about a Busse S.O.B.? Same overall size as the FK, both excellent steels and HTs

Busse SOS is a comparable size blade. The handle is smaller though.

Back