Suggest a knife directly comparable to a Field Knife...

Carter Cutlery Compact FS1. No experience with it, but I do want to check one out to verify the hype.

Last edited:
The profile isn't similar but I keep thinking of the Winkler II Belt Knife. There is a TAD version in 3V. If you compare models I'd try to rule out steels. D3V is superior to all and kinda not fair to any other steel. I also immediately thought of the new 4.1.

I would like to own something in 80crv2. Anyone have any experience with this one?

SOB vs FK. The blade shape and handle on the SOB is quite different.

30018097683_a6443f2e3a_b.jpg

I guess Fiddleback Bushfinger might be quite similar to the FK. Does anyone has both to do a side by side picture? Unfortunately, my Bushfinger has not reached home yet to do this shot.

Closest that I could find, at the moment, is the Busse S.O.S LE. Length/width wise are pretty similar. The handle on the FK might be better suited for medium-large to x-large hands tho...
Eta: the FK it's the most comfortable knife I've ever held (THANKS Lorien!); don't think the hand size matters (weird, yeah) :)

sos fk 11.jpg
sos fk 21.jpg
sos fk 31.jpg

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:
I would like to own something in 80crv2. Anyone have any experience with this one?
WKII Field Knife. Extremely easy to sharpen; I used to freehand sharpen the edge on-site atop concrete slab (finished floor) and plenty of water. Not a fan of the WKII Caswell finish and poor corrosion resistance of 80CrV2 once the coating wears. Nothing that #0000 steel wool failed to take care of, but still. I recently picked up the WKII ERT from BTactical Blades in order to verify its utility as a non-ERT multitool in a general construction environment.

Last edited:
A knife I think would be comparable to the field knife (though I own neither) is the Spartan Harsey Hunter. They are pretty comparable in terms of size, geometry, and handle ergos. Though the Hunter is S35VN, not D3V.
1_zps2bed9482.jpg

The picture isn't mine, it is from the Mistwalker Review.

I love Bill Harsey's work. He's an outstanding designer

I love Bill Harsey's work. He's an outstanding designer

Since his designs make up the majority of my collection, I would have to say I agree. Of course I am hoping that as time goes by more of your designs will also figure in my collection.

WKII Field Knife. Extremely easy to sharpen; I used to freehand sharpen the edge on-site atop concrete slab (finished floor) and plenty of water. Not a fan of the WKII Caswell finish and poor corrosion resistance of 80CrV2 once the coating wears. Nothing that #0000 steel wool failed to take care of, but still. I recently picked up the WKII ERT from BTactical Blades in order to verify its utility as a non-ERT multitool in a general construction environment.

I like Dave Wengers stuff too, great deal for forged work.

I still do want a stainless field knife, not sure which one id go with. I do like the TRC K1 and FB duke. I wish I got my 4.7 in CPM 154, since I'll be getting a 4.1 in d3v delivered probably next year.

Since his designs make up the majority of my collection, I would have to say I agree. Of course I am hoping that as time goes by more of your designs will also figure in my collection.

thanks dude!

The BHK Battlelore is fairly similar to the FK blade length and handle. The major different will be the grind.

34407844622_af8ccf679d_k_d.jpg

Definitely want to see a higher sabre grind on the FK2. Compound FFG is nice, but I would rather have a surface that a Wicked Edge can secure with confidence.

I would also say the new spec SK! 4.1 in D3V is a good comparison to the FK. They're both great blades with top notch quality, a similar price range, and also difficult to acquire. Each of them have their Pros and Cons in my opinion depending on the purpose of the blade. However, two of the best all around blades in my opinion for a general purpose camp knife in that size.

I would also say the new spec SK! 4.1 in D3V is a good comparison to the FK. They're both great blades with top notch quality, a similar price range, and also difficult to acquire. Each of them have their Pros and Cons in my opinion depending on the purpose of the blade. However, two of the best all around blades in my opinion for a general purpose camp knife in that size.

I was hoping you'd respond to this one bud. I like reading through your cold weather camping trips, which make great conditions for comparison/contrast of equipment. I know you've had some GSO's out like that, remind me, did you get your field knife out for one of those?

Back