Suggest a knife for my next purchase please - in the $450 - $700 range

Like the title says, I'd love to hear from the forum on what they think the knife to buy would be in that price range, $450 - $700 tops.

A few that I have had my eye on for a long time, are

Chris Reeve Large Inkosi. All iI model. Knifeart has it for $445.

Strider SNG CC, flame Ti lockside, either stonewash or tiger-stripe blade. $495 at Monkey Edge and others.

Farid Mehr Mini K2. D3 tool steel. This is a beast. $550 at KnifeCenter

Jake Hoback Kwaiback. UHEP model, stonewashed blade and anodized green, or purple, or bronze handles. $695 at Monkey Edge. This is the top of my price range.

I have no specific task requirements for this knife, but would prefer a knife that has all-around utility. I can pretty much carry up to a 4" blade with me at all times, even to work (suit and tie). Along the lines of my desire to have a utilitarian knife, I am very much leaning towards the Reeve Inkosi. I hear so much about his knives. My concern with the Kwaiback is the spine is quite think - not the greatest slicer. The SNG is somewhere in between I suppose. I love a flipper, but this new knife does not have to be a flipper. I already have plenty of Emesons, ZT's, Spyderco's, and a Hinder XM 18 3.5 inch. I was really like the look of the new 3" inch XM flippers floating around out there. But that size blade, 3 inches, is as shot a blade as I like. I don't want to go any shorter in blade length than that.

I am sure there are many knives I have zero knowledge of, that would be a great fit here. This will be my most expensive knife purchase to date by the way. I will be selling a number of knives on the exchange to fund this.

So anyone with personal experiences with these knives or others in this price range, that you think I might find interesting, let's hear about them.

Thanks Fellas

f80100c3180b8f09d81db2542b84ba77.jpg

The KA large Inkosi has been my pick and it has became my favorite folder
I had a break in period of 5-6 weeks but now it is completely smooth
The CF scale contribute to keep it light for its size

Let's see...

The Olamic 247 is very popular these days (mostly for good reason) and fits what you after fairly well, personally I would recommend looking at a couple Ferrum Forge models, Maybe a Curtiss F3 (not a great, but not that bad either of a slicer) and at the upper end of your range you could buy some nice/mint condition used Shirogorov's or even a new Neon. Saw the ultralight Neon available for sale brand new at $550 a GOOD deal IMO. And of course, when sticking with ANY of the CRK's (21, 25, Inkosi, etc.) you really just can't go wrong.

I like flippers, so I'm biased. Both of these are amazeballs and are at the bottom end of your price range (so less knives have to be sold before they're in reach):

Olamic 247
Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken

I'm not really a CRK fan, but if you don't already have one you should probably get one at some point to see if they're for you or not.

I vote for the CRK Umnumzaan.

$425 new. It's extremely well-built , good looking and is a slim carry.

I've looked at all the great suggestions, thanks fellas. The CRK Umnumzaan was a new one to me. I love the look of the harpoon-style blade.

I had heard of Olamic but never really looked closely at them. Very well put together knife from what I've seen. And the Curtiss F3 looks great with the compound grind blade, they do have some starting at $695. I little on the short side and they must be thick in the blade and handle stock as they all weigh close to 6 ounces. Some of the antique green or bronzed ano Ti handled ones look amazing. I've looked at the Begg Kwaiken, it never really did much for me.

And back to the Inkosi. The CF model shaves just about an ounce off the full Ti version - 4.0 OZ versus 4.96OZ. 4 ounces for a knife with a 3.65" blade is impressive.

Rex I am off to look at some FF knives.

Thanks Gentlemen

FYI, the Strider SnG cutting edge (effective blade length) is less than 3". Just saying, since you pointed out your >3" preference. I'd really like to try a Hoback myself, but he has to come down in overall thickness/weight for me to do so. That, and I don't like screws threaded directly into titanium scales. No experiential reason, just a preference. Of what you have listed, if you've never had a CRK, I'd suggest trying whichever model you find most appealing.

"if you've never had a CRK, I'd suggest trying whichever model you find most appealing."....

I've tried quite a few but no Inkosis. Maybe thirty-forty total small and large Sebbies, two Zaans...love the inlaid wood so I look at them for a month and then sell them again. I carry a large Sebbie (Classic "MM") and it does everything that I need.

The two knives I was looking at in that price range were the Olamic Wayfarer 247 and the Southard Tolk midtech. I would put CRKs up there as well.

I would also include the Hinderer xm18 in your list. I have a Kwaiback with carbon fiber scale and it sure lightens it up. I have a 25 which is very similar to the Inkosi and I have no complaints. I also have a Cutiss F3 and it is the best buy out of all the ones in your price range. YMMV

I would also recommend the Olamic 247. Had mine for a few months and very happy with it. Gave up my CRK Umnumzaan to get it. I will say that I miss the Umnumzaan, but would rather have the 247. Olamic will work with you to get you the knife exactly the way you want it. If you have the means, which I do not, get both.

Last edited:
Southard Tolk.
I've got an SNG CC; and like it quite a bit.
CRK Inkosi - if I made that choice, my money would go for the KSF version with red linen micarta...at least until Wilson Combat starts putting out their version (see Starbenza 25)
Olamic 247 is probably next on my list, as soon as I find one in stock that I like.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing Ferrum Forge a lot lately. Heard good things, too.

The Large 21 Micarta CRK in your choice of blade style with the leather CRK pouch. Comfort, grippy, rides well in the pockets and ease of maintenance.

I am really looking closely at the Curtiss F3. Lots of frame texture and anodizing options. I love the compound grind, but I am leaning towards the Wharny. The medium size I'm looking at.

That is a fabulous looking knife, and I hear that if flips as well as the Shirogorov if not better. Users of both Curtiss and Shirogorov say this.

I'm going to look closer at Olamic..

I just recently purchased a TA Davison knife (custom/handmade) traditional and quite pleased with it. They are in the $350-$600 range.

How about a Bob Terzuola Century Starfighter? Bob's knives are incredible. Or how about a little something, something Michael Zieba?

How about a Bob Terzuola Century Starfighter? Bob's knives are incredible. One of MY very favorite knife makers is Jim Harrison of Seamus Knives. Perhaps you can have something made.

Back