Suggestions for Randall Model 14

Hi everyone. I've read a bit about Randall Made Knives, but I don't have one. I'm getting ready to place my first order, and I want to pick the brains of people in the know. I'm thinking about a Model 14, and I'd like to hear what you think about this model, and the different options that are available. If you have pics that you could easily attach, that would be a welcome addition.

I've also had my eye on the Sportsman Bowie. If you have any thoughts on that model, as compared to the Model 14, I'd be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.

TC

It rather depends on what you want to do with the knife. Heavy duty fighter? Skinner? Bushcraft? Cleaning pan fish? What?

Oh Lord, that covers an awful lot of ground. The 14 is one of my favorites, but at 7-1/2", be warned that it's a pretty big knife. I guess the first thing you should consider is stainless steel versus carbon steel. Most everyone I know prefers carbon steel, but if you live in a place that has high humidity or plan on using the knife in wet conditions, maybe stainless will be a better choice.

Will this knife be a "user" or a "safe queen?" If you're going to use it, you'll probably be better off sticking with the Micarta handle that comes with it at no extra charge. You still have the options of going with the stock finger grips, a Border Patrol handle, or a single finger grip handle. All are good, all are slightly different, and a lot of the choice comes down to just personal preference.

If you want to get a little more fancy, you can go for a "cut-down tang" version, which opens up a wide array of other options: stag, wood, and so on. You can use shop-supplied handle materials at a modest extra charge, or supply your own at a slightly higher cost.

Nickel-silver furniture is an option on all of these knives too, but it costs more than brass.

There are many other, more obscure, options available too if you want to really go crazy.

The 12-9 is even more of a favorite of mine, but if the 14 is a "big" knife, this one's "huge." Not the most practical thing in the world (and kind of heavy, too), but if you're out to impress someone, it's definitely the way to go. There are a gazillion different options here, too, including a #14 grind in stainless steel, a standard clip-point grind in carbon steel, and even a #25 handle style.

Hope this helps; feel free to ask any more specific questions you may have. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions too, and maybe even some photos.

I appreciate the warning. I am comfortable using larger knives. I've got a variety of knives in that range, and a modest collection of khukuris that goes much larger.

It will be used, although it will be part of a rotation, so it won't have to fill too many niches. I agree with the carbon and micarta. I looked at a variety of handles, and I think border patrol would suit me well. I like the nickel silver, especially with the black sheath and green micarta.

I don't want to go crazy, but I am really curious about the other options. I have only been looking at the online catalog, so I'm poorly informed. is it possible to get a single finger guard on the 14? I think that would work well with the way I handle my knives.

What sort of grind options are available?

TC

Hondo.3, you wrote:
I don't want to go crazy, but I am really curious about the other options. I have only been looking at the online catalog, so I'm poorly informed.
If you haven't done so already, request a copy of Randall Made Knives' printed catalog, which will include the 2010 price list for the knives themselves, along with the options that can be specified. See: https://www.randallknives.com/catalogrequest.php

It'll arrive within a week, and is incredibly helpful.
Is it possible to get a single finger guard on the 14? I think that would work well with the way I handle my knives.
Yep. Here is an example from my collection:

randall-14-fch-sfg-tbm-1.jpg

randall-14-fch-sfg-tbm-2.jpg

randall-14-fch-sfg-tbm-3.jpg

Hmm. You can certainly get a single hilt on a CDT 14. I'm honestly not sure whether you can get one on the full-tang models. I've certainly never seen one, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Call the shop and ask them.

Grinds. Well, you're getting into interesting territory with that question. For the 14, in addition to the standard modified clip point, available options are sawteeth (which makes the blade look like a #18 blade), sawteeth/no sawteeth (ST/NST), which is the sawteeth blade contour without sawteeth, and Bowie Clip Point (BCP), which gives the false bevel a full clip.

Single Hilts are possible with the Full Tang. The Standard #16 Diver is like this. My #15 is configured in this way, too:

rmk-15-wm-bph-5.jpg

rmk-15-wm-bph-6.jpg

Here is my #16 Diver with Single Hilt and Single Finger Grip handle made of Black Micarta:

randall-16-sfg-1.jpg

randall-16-sfg-2.jpg

Thank you, everyone, for your information and pics. It helps a lot.

I tried to order a catalog years ago, but it never made it across the border to Canada. I'll try again, and not let it slide if it goes rogue.

Right now, I'm thinking carbon, single hilt, border patrol handle in green micarta, and a wrist thong. I'm up in the air on grind, but I'll check out the different choices in the catalog, and see what fits me best.

I do like that bowie, and the 9" blade would be a lot of fun. It was the smaller one that I had my eye on, though.

Now all I need to do is find something else to keep me busy for the next four years...

TC

You will find no mention of the different grinds in the catalog, which is why I said you were getting into "interesting territory" with that question.

And make that "the next five years," not four. About 61 months, to be more accurate.

Although it is a #1 hilt and Black Micarta, my #16 SP#1 will give you a good idea what the Border Patrol handle will be like:

rmk-16-sp1-bph-alt.jpg

BTW, the Wrist Thong is standard on the #14.

I ordered my first Randall 16 months ago. My delivery date is June 13 2013. I got the #5 with a 6" blade and black micarta handle. Lets see, how many more years do I have to wait?

Are there any stories out there about knives being delivered posthumously?

TC

Thanks for making me laugh. None that I'm aware of, though it's something I've also wondered about.:)

Here are a few variations to consider... :cool:

Attachments

• Model 14's.jpg
    Model 14's.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 86
Hondo.3, you wrote:
I do like that bowie, and the 9" blade would be a lot of fun.
The Non-Catalog #12-9" with #14 Grind, which has a #25 handle, might be the ticket. I have two of them. One has Nickel Silver furniture, and the other has Brass. Here they are:

rmk-12-9-14grind-4.jpg

rmk-12-9-14grind-1.jpg

Lastly, consider ordering through an authorized Randall dealer, which can bring the wait time down to a year or two, and possibly a few months. Of course, you can select the options you want just like ordering direct. And, if you choose the right dealer, you'll be paying catalog price, not an inflated one.

TC, that's a loaded question; in part because everyone seems to have their favorite, and if ya leave anyone out, someone is sure to get pissed off...but, being that I've been pissing my fellow RMK collectors off for over ten years now, have a personal dislike for several of the dealers, and pretty much don't give a flying rip about what others think (or say, for that matter), I'll give you my short list of faves*...

*Bear in mind that there are close to 50 'authorized' RMK dealers, but only (maybe) a dozen get regular press...

In no particular order, these three have always come through for me...and through them have received advice on ordering some very cool 'less-often-seen' Randall knife configurations...

Nordic Knives, Dave Harvey; Sullivan's Holster Shop, Greg Gutcher, Sr.; and Sharp Stuff, Gary Clinton. And, let's not forget that Classic Jewelery and Pawn (formerly Silver Dollar Pawn), Wayne Buxton; Spyderco Knives, the custom shop, Sal Glasser; and A.G. Russell Knives have at times also come through...although much less often now than in the past for whatever reason...

Hope that helps.

p.s. Don't overlook the unaffiliated resellers. I've personally had well over 40 RMK #14 variants pass through my hands in the last 10 years, and I only buy high end knives--six to eight options aren't unheard of, and of course are no longer orderable...

Last edited:
Back