Suggestions for Randall Model 14

I recommend Gary Clinton, who took over his father's Randall Made Knives dealership a little over a year ago:

Clinton Knives
5383 Harlem Road
Loves Park, IL 61111
815-282-1171 (phone)
clinton4@msn.com

Just dealt with Dave Harvey at Nordic and I highly recommend him!

Anyone ever dealt with Gary Nelson at Nelson Custom Knives?

I have used my #14 for awhile now. I love it, i will never part with it.

that being said, the double hilt wasn't to my liking on my first #14, so i chopped it off, if you use the hell out of your knife seriously consider the single hilt option. if you are gonna use it for camping and chopping up wood, the false edge plays hell when batoning (but that is using the knife other than it was made for obviously), and the single tube fastened and epoxied handle doesn't like it either, after a few trips out camping and beating it around the handle started to slide forward on the hilt from its mating location with the spine.

This is a combat model not much more, stab, slash, pry, and trust completely. JMO

Just dealt with Dave Harvey at Nordic and I highly recommend him!

Anyone ever dealt with Gary Nelson at Nelson Custom Knives?

uh, I have resolved to keep this info to myself around here. Its out there to find if people want to find it, but i don't go around sharing it, for reasons.... (can i please get a few amen's on this one??)

anyway, Nordic all the way. I had no problems the first time nor the second, and will stay with them until otherwise.

Last edited:
Amen, Ron.

Getting back to your original post, do you think a model 5 with a Micarta handle would suit your needs better? The false bevel isn't sharpened on that, and it comes with a single hilt.

do you think a model 5 with a Micarta handle would suit your needs better?

Yes sir, it would, i believe the hidden tang is somewhat better suited to high impact stress to the handle area, compared to the exposed tang in the current configuration. And the model 5 would work much better for the way i use my model 14.

I collect Model 3's and this is one of my favorites:

standard.jpg

It was born with a double hilt during the Vietnam era and sometime subsequent to that the top quillion was lopped off for more "mundane" uses.

Best,

Well there you go. Your mission, if you choose to accept it. . . .

All in due time. but in the interim, i will still be carrying my #14. ;)

I have three new knives coming in shortly after the first of the year, two of which are randall's. All in due time.

I hope that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by bumping this but there is a lot of good information here. And some beautiful blades.

I'm about to order my first Randall from the factory. I'm a bit of an instant gratification kinda guy, but I have to admit... the thought of ordering one right from the makers is very appealing to me. I'm leaning towards the #2, I love the shape of a dirk. It's not real practical though I guess. And even though I have quite several knives that probably SHOULD be safe queens, it's hard for me not to carry and use such excellent knives.

I'm really having a hard time deciding between the 2 and the 14. Also, has anyone here bought the non-catalog chef's knife? If so, do you use it in the kitchen?

What are your thoughts on the difference between the full tang and the CDT? Is the strength difference enough to concern any of you? What about weight/balance?
I'm betting that for someone that uses them like I do, the strength won't be an issue but the balance and the optional handles might be.

Motey, since you are an instant gratification kinda guy I have a model 14 with stainless blade, standard black micarta handle with finger grip in the for sale area. Here's the link for you:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/906121-Randall-Model-14. It will at least give you a good look at a 14 in standard configuration.

Dan in Kalifornia

Ha! Thanks for the link. I'll give it some thought, it's not exactly the handle I'm partial too, but you never know!

Motey,

As a more serious response FWIW, my first Randall ordered was a Model 14, stainless steel blade, forward curved hilt, and Border Patrol handle.

Back