Summarize your collecting "style" or tendencies ...

- I collect post 1970 Case knives almost exclusively.
- I'm an eBay bottomfeeder - never pay full retail.
- Through trial and error, I've narrowed down my preferences to a half dozen patterns I really like and focus on those.
- My wife says I'm not afraid of color ... I tend to shy away from the common reds, browns and ambers - I must be part magpie - if it's colorful or shiny, I like it ...
- I like to tinker with blade shapes - try to be imaginative & find ways to create wharncliffe's or sheepfoot's from factory blades where no man has gone before.

That's my knife collecting tendencies in a nutshell ... let's have your collecting style ---->

Hahahaha
Summarize your collecting "style" or tendencies ...
I collect all kinds of traditionals (as long as they are Trappers).
Well . . . large trappers.
I have many other styles but the glaringly obvious reaction someone would have while looking at my collection would be . . . TRAPPERS.
I like to tinker with blade shapes - try to be imaginative & find ways to create wharncliffe's or sheepfoot's from factory blades where no man has gone before.
Ever cut an entire blade off just to make the knife single blade ?
I can hardly resist doing that with most of my two blade Trappers.
I did once turn the Spay blade into a Wharncliffe on one of them in a fit of restrained Dremel surgery.

Given unlimited funds I could see myself having an embarrassingly large collection of Whalers and Elephant Toes.
Hey . . . a man can dream can't he ?

I have a wide range represented in my collection, but it seems that pen knives dominate when it comes to pattern. There doesn’t seem to be a certain huge majority of covers in my group, but I seem to go towards the natural materials.

Mostly multi-blade slipjoints.
I find them the most versatile and more than sufficient for my daily needs.
I do have a Buck 110 on my belt every day, but I seem to reach for the slipjoint 9.969 times out of 10 when I need to cut something.

Do I like it?
Do I have the funds for it?
Mostly single blades, no Lockbacks, toothpicks, or muskrats.

I look, I find, I buy...repeat.

Pretty simple really. Sometimes I even ask the Mrs.

Sometimes :D

Equal Ends. I have a wide variety in my collection but I have more Equal End patterns than any other type. I also seem to have more knives with a Sheepsfoot or Wharncliffe blade than knives without them.

• My sweet spot is between 3 5/8 and 3 7/8" long closed.
  • Bar far, I collect more scout knives than anything else. And of all those scout knives, the Remington/Pal scout knives and Camillus Army engineer knives are my favorites to collect. They have a wonderful history that intrigues me as much as the knives themselves.
  • My favorite traditionals are from the 1920's to the 1940's. There's just something about the Rogers bone from that era that I love.
  • The rest of my collection is a mix and match of anything that grabs my eye, with no real focus.
  • While I love natural handle materials, I am also quite fond of yellow delrin and natural canvas micarta.
  • I'm a bargain basement kind of guy, always looking for low price deals.

Stockmen and Trappers are my favorites. Specifically the 881/885uh/8ot stockman design I too patrol eBay and have got a few good deals and stubbornly have let a couple I really wanted get away :mad:. Also really like Tony Bose designed knives.

For traditional knives it is usually one blade models.

Many, many knives lol...but the predominate gravitation is back to GEC #15's. I look at my collection and suddenly I have 15 or 20 GEC #15s that are all exactly the same (or almost) but different handle materials. I liquidate to just a few #15s, rinse, and repeat.

And if it is isn't a GEC 15 then the knife is almost always a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot.

Hi my name is XXXXX and I'm a knife-a-holic.

As best I can do is say I really like smaller 3-1/4 or less 1-2 blade slipjoints.
I'm not confined to this and have no problem with lockbacks up to the Buck 110 or fixed blades up to the 119, but the little slipjoints I really like.

I don’t have a specific way I collect. I guess I like variety. Everything from vintage traditional slippies to modern folders to large fixed blades. I like to hold, use, and experience it all.

These days I’m focusing on single-blade jacks with frames 3-1/2” and smaller.

When I was actually a collector (even a card-carrying member of the Case Collector's Club at the time), I would say that what described my collecting style in a single word was "variety."

Like the OP, I primarly collected recent production Case knives and looked for bargains over rarity.

I tended towards wanting to try at least one of every pattern, and if I liked a particular pattern after trying it, I might buy multiple variations of it - different steels, handle materials, blade combos.

I branched out into other brands, but in less quantity, and not with the full-on "gotta try every pattern" mindset.
Buck 301 and 303 but only one of each, and only in yellow synthetic handles.
3 Queen knives - Country Cousin, #9 Stockman, small serpentine jack.
About 14 GECs, with a few duplicate patterns but different blades, steels, or covers (two 15s, three 12s, two 48s, three 77s, a Maverick, a Congress, a Pony Jack, the BF Congress Jack)
One Canal Street - the Eric's Jack, forum knife runner-up from 2014.
A few SAKs - several Pioneer variants, the alox Cadet in a few colors, even a red-handled Spartan.
I even tried a couple of Rough Riders and Taylor Brands Old Timers just to see how the imports stacked up. Verdict - RR makes good knives, the Taylor OTs are usable tools.

Once I got to a point where I had more knives sitting never-used in their boxes and tubes, with about a dozen that get regular carry, with maybe 6 of those the real go-to carry knives, it just seemed foolish to buy another one when I had so many already. I am not sure why that mental trigger waited until I had somewhere in the range of 150 knives and not at 50 or 15, but now, no matter how much I like looking at some new knife or variant of a pattern, I just don't feel any desire to add yet another one.

Last edited:
Back