Summarize your collecting "style" or tendencies ...

1. Traditional
  2. Carbon steel
  3. Folding
  4. Single-blade
  5. Inexpensive
  6. Not made in China
This is just since my interest in knives was rekindled a few years ago. I have made a few exceptions to these rules except numbers 1 and 5.

The knives of my childhood and teen years were almost all traditional American multi-blade folders of various patterns, used daily for tinkering, pencil-sharpening, fishing, and whatnot. Sometime in my teens I made an impulse purchase of a Japanese made Precise Deerslayer fixed blade, which I never used and still have.

The one single knife which saw me through the 12 years or so of my working life when I really needed a knife daily was my Case Mako lockback. During these years I did also acquire an Opinel, an Okapi, and a Laguiole, which were (in the same order) lost, stolen, and given away. If such a thing as a modern folder existed during this period, I was blissfully unaware of it.

Started out by just keeping the knives I've used over the years. Case, Old Timers, SAKs. Never got rid of the ones I didn't use anymore, so I guess that was a "collection."
Then I got a GEC bullnose. Then another. Then... well... then the disease started.
Started buying multiples of GEC patterns I liked. A few multi blade traditional here and there. I got into looking at small town hardware stores for well built Case knives.
I thought it would naturally slow down when the fixed blade curse started, mostly Bird and Trouts and smaller knives. Now they are growing in size too.
My collecting style is "getting out of control."

Laugh all you want, but thanks to that silly Konmari book I'm slimming the collection down and selling more than I buy in 2019. For now at least...

Usually:
- what the pocket can fit.....stretch to, even (by pocket, I mean £$, as there's stuff I see I cannot afford)
- less is more ie., I'd rather have one real beaut at $500 than 5 at $100
- style and tendencies have changed as I've become older, much older :D

Lately, I've been trying to "steal" mid sized multi-blade Case knives.
Steal means "as cheap as possible"... no more than $35... plus shipping if it's one I really want.
It's been a fun part of my collecting and I've been able to acquire a few really beautiful examples.

my knife collecting tendencies

Oh, Oh, Oh,....pretty...

There are some things I prefer, but mostly it's just what crosses my path when I have spare change. Kind of like a dog chasing squirrels...

Back