Summer Plans?

We will be going camping, to the Poconos, anyone have any place in particular up there that will not take hours and hours to get there from Virginia? So the ones closer is better.

Hope to get lots done around the house and yard. Do lots of camping, and pass the last part of the CPA exam. Also have about 30 yards of concrete to pour too.

About hour south of Coos Bay.
I used to live out in the coburg hills outside of springfield as a boy. Me and my best friend brent use to have a blast out in the woods. I left for the military hes the current bellator light weight champion. Beautiful state just not a fan of the cities.

when i drove down to benning i drove thrpugh canada too a one lane highway thrpugh british columbia hoping it wasnt the one i drove up. It was entered on I5 and drove to my parents hpuse in oregon stayed there a few days then cut between the rockies and the sierras i think they are. It was a nice drive

I like to run across the US to Sweet Grass MT - then up into Calgary. I do this to avoid the high cost of gasoline in Canada, and really there is not a lot to see across the plains - lots of canola growing but flat as a pancake.

From there it is really just the "only road" to get up to Tok and into AK.

There was some pretty harsh road in the Yukon Territory; I found myself standing up on my motorcycle a lot in that area I remember.

best

mqqn

I like to run across the US to Sweet Grass MT - then up into Calgary. I do this to avoid the high cost of gasoline in Canada, and really there is not a lot to see across the plains - lots of canola growing but flat as a pancake.

From there it is really just the "only road" to get up to Tok and into AK.

There was some pretty harsh road in the Yukon Territory; I found myself standing up on my motorcycle a lot in that area I remember.

best

mqqn
There is a place in tok that has the best pepper jack cheese burger ever. I think its fast eddys grill. I got it on my way up. On my way down it was to late and they were closed so i had a protein shake and a mre. Not a good dinner.

Nothing too crazy planned this summer. I have a month long "summer camp" for my degree, after that I will just be working my butt off and getting ready for last semester of college. If I have the time I hope to go on my annual family vacation to the lake or a spur of the moment road trip out west with some buddies. We'll see what happens.

That's pretty epic. I've summited Mt. Whitney twice. But we took the "long
way round" and hiked it. We're planning on attempting it again in 3.5 years, to celebrate my son's 10th b-day and my father-in-law's 70th.

This is a bucket list climb for me. I reconnected with an old climbing partner of mine who lives in the Bay Area for this one. Got about four months left for training!

Jeff

This is a bucket list climb for me. I reconnected with an old climbing partner of mine who lives in the Bay Area for this one. Got about four months left for training!

Jeff
That should be an amazing climb. I'll hike anything, but I've never done any technical climbing.
The last time we where there we did the 21+ mile round trip hike in 12 hours. It was 104 degrees in Lone Pines and 30 degrees & snowing at the summit. Awesome day!

That should be an amazing climb. I'll hike anything, but I've never done any technical climbing.
The last time we where there we did the 21+ mile round trip hike in 12 hours. It was 104 degrees in Lone Pines and 30 degrees & snowing at the summit. Awesome day!

Sounds like you had the full Whitney experience! We plan on taking two days to hike to the base of the climb so we’re good and acclimated. The East Buttress climb and decent by the Mountaineers Route will probably take ~ 12 hours. Then we get to hang out for another day before hiking out.

Jeff

One thing we hoped to do this year was camp more often. So far that hasn't worked out. The weather, tee-ball, and all the germs shared by pre-school have gotten in the way. My wife's birthday is tomorrow so we planned to get away for the weekend to one of our favorite camp sites. It's government owned rustic with no amenities other than a fire pit and picnic table. No reservations or fees only first come first serve. We went for a ride yesterday and were surprised to find only a few vacant sites. Looks like we'll have to change plans or postpone again.

We our trying to get some house projects completed as fishing season is starting and then later this summer my in-laws will be coming up to visit and we do a lot of fishing together. I'm hoping the wife and I can at least one camping trip in this summer along with some good atv rides.

Back