Sunglasses

miltmaldo

Gold Member
image.jpeg

My wife got me a pair of Oakleys fuel cell sunglasses for Father's Day . Been using them but not sure I like them . so now I'm looking for a second pair of sunglasses .

What sunglasses do you guys wear and what do you recommend .

REVO Heading X.
Great American made sunglasses, but I think these were $180 ( they were a gift ).
I prefer aviators most of all, but I do love these.

Smith
Parallel DMax

Here in the high humidity of the south I'll only consider open frame glasses.

Ever since I tried Serengeti sunglasses with the rose/amber/whatever color they are "drivers" lenses, maybe 15 or so years ago, I've worn almost nothing since. I do have one pair that has grey/green lenses, which I occasionally wear, typically only on cloudy days (we don't have many of those in Tucson). If you're used to the typical grey lenses, it'll definitely seem weird going to amber/rose/bronze colored lenses, but when you're used to them and take them off and/or switch to grey lenses, suddenly the world seems so bland, drab, and dull.

Serengeti's also all have their "photochromatic" technology. Meaning the brighter it is the darker they get. The change is subtle, not even remotely as dramatic as "Transition" eyeglass lenses. But it does help when you're going from inside to outside or from out to in.

I also like that Serengeti's - at least the models that I've owned - use glass instead of plastic lenses. I stick with simple shapes, thin frames, etc. I can't pull off the Wayfarer style, and I feel like a douche wearing aviators or wraparounds. My favorite pair is the "Getaway" (center, 2nd from top). They were the first that fit me without modification. I've worn several through about 15 years or so, and they've only been replaced because of accidents, not because they "wore out" or anything (no big scratches, but lost 2 pairs, stepped on one, a lens slipped out and broke from one because the screw got loose, and I endo'd on my bike and faceplanted wearing another). Unfortunately they've long been discontinued so I'm constantly trolling eBay looking for NOS or gently used ones. None of their current models interest me at all, but that's just me.

The only other brand I've considered is Maui Jim. I've heard nothing but good about them, they use glass in some of their models, and their amber/rose lenses look like they're not dissimilar to Serengeti.

There are alot of great options out there like the ones already mentioned, but my absolute favorite pair of shades in the world are the Persol 2747. I am no expert, but I do have a decent collection of shades, and the combination of clarity, comfort, and a style that fits any occasion has made these my go-to pair.

5XcnBnn.jpg

i been wanting to try Costa not sure where I can go to check the out . Also I never heard of the other brands . And to my surprise no mention of RayBan .

What are the best fit over top sunglasses for folks that wear perscription glasses? Not going to get contacts so I can wear regular sunglasses....

I found these on my Facebook page and actually ordered a pair. They’re called Shady Rays for $45. They come with a free replacement for the cost of shipping if they are lost, broken, or stolen. Their site says each purchase provides 11 meals to hunger. I like them and I’ve had them about a month now. Before these I just wore whatever $20 would get me at Walmart.

6B458C42-B13D-46E9-89A3-332E2A5C6C2E.jpeg 21F63EFA-C071-4506-B83A-79B4EE850DE2.jpeg

I’ve had Costa Tropic Star and Harpoon. While they are great glasses, they are a little to frat boy for my taste, also last time I checked they no longer offered any open frame glasses.

Costa blackfin, I love them but would rather where America made, I just can’t find any that get along with the schnoz on my face!!!

I love my Oakleys but I miss my Arnettes. Gatorz are suppossed to be good from what I hear.

Rayban Wayfarer's both polarized and non polarized. Worn this style for 40 yrs or more and I ain't kiddin. When fishing though I have an older pair of Costa Cays that are perfect for the water. Also Typhoons are pretty damn good. keepem sharp

Back