Survival Knife Sheaths

I have been looking around for a "survival" Sheath, which would be nothing more than a decent sheath, with a pounch to carry a multi-tool and maybe fire-starter material.

Over at M4040's site, he built the Kukri based survival knife set-up with his PSK attached. http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/PICTURES/External-Sheath-Trans.gif

I must say, that while it is not high-quality, the sheath that comes with the Rat-7 is not a bad start. I've stretched the pouch enough to hold both a folding knife and a Gerber 600 sereis tool. It's a good start.

The Spec-Ops "Survival" sheath looks nice. $50 plsu shipping is gonna set you back a little.
http://www.1sks.com/images/spec-ops/2004/sop-sursheath.jpg

I found a cheaper mil-style, with the pouch that supposedly will house a stone, Looks OK, but I fear the pouch may be too shallow and too skinny to hold much of substance. http://www.campingsurvival.com/gitypennylkn.html

I just started working with Kydex, and am pondering an attchement system that might allow one of the Maxpedition M4 type of pouches to be affixed.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or input about what would make a good Survival Sheath????

any links?

I own a Spec Ops Combat Master Sheath, a Ka-Bar Eagle Sheath, and a few TOPS knives that came with Nylon/Kydex sheaths. All great sheaths! I even had to buy a spare Eagle Sheath from Kabar since I found it fit my SOG Tech Bowie perfectly!

I have been struggling to find larger Survivial Sheaths and to that end, posted in the below thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361684

Specifically post might interest you since I posted a few links:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4162939&postcount=6

I went the other way. I have a Maxpedition M1 with a Frost Clipper attached to it. I like the M1, but it is over kill, too many fasteners including velcro, which I hate - too noisy.

Attachments

• DSC01858.jpg
    DSC01858.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 306
Both great ideas, thanks.

I may lean toward a Kydex sheath, and then maybe a mil-style mag-pouch lashed to it? Still looking over all these ideas, thanks again.

I'm a big fan of the Spec Ops Survival sheath. Had one a Hell Razor I had and have missed it ever since I sold that knife. Just got this one in this week for my Badger Attack from the good folks at TAD. Think it was like $53 or $54 shipped. The pocket is plenty big enough to store an array of goods. I have mine stuffed with various fire starting stuff right now. I'm going to sit down sometime over Christmas vacation and put together a more complete survival kit for it.

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

I agree with the Spec Ops, but now I have to post pics of my favorite knives with Survival-type Sheaths!

2006-12-09_CRKMKVIwithSpecOps.jpg

2006-12-09_SOGTechBowiewithEagle.jpg

2006-12-09_TOPSToys.jpg

Being just an old Codger, and too much of a skinflint to spend knife money on a fancy custom sheath, I am constantly on the lookout for sheath deals. Also, being a Schrade collector and user and snapping up good deals on those knives, often sheathless, I gravitate toward that brand of sheaths. Since they closed up shop in 2004, there is a large stock of NOS sheaths available on fleabay. These range from the more traditional leather sheaths to the later ballistic nylon and plastic insert patterns. Sheaths of this latter type can be had for $15 or less, often far less. They are good quality, and the sewn on "Schrade" logo tags are usually easily removed if they offend your brand loyalty. The sheaths for the circa 1990's Safe-T-Grip series come in several lengths and have the rigid plastic inserts. Later X-Timer sheaths are the foldover type with a tricot fabric lining, available also in several sizes. It would not be hard to alter any of these by adding a matching flat sewn pocketknife pouch, or even the larger formed hard case that came with the oversized XT7B folder. I bought quite a few of these type sheaths on "twofer" and "threefer" deals just to play with. With less that five apiece in them, I can afford to ruin a few experimenting.

Not "dissing" you guys who are willing and able to spend $50-$100 on the nice sheaths shown, or those creative guys who make and sell the custom Kydex rigs, you understand. I guess I am just of a bent to do more with less, and enjoy my knife related "playtime".

Codger

I've moved away from the carry all type sheath.
Now I like simple sheaths, leather and kydex, to hold just the knife.
What I do like is holes on the sheaths to lash extra stuff to it.
Like pouches or such that hold what ever I want to carry with it.

Fire kits, survival kits, sharpening kits, etc, I carry in separate pouches
or containers, but I can fasten one or all to the knife sheath as the
conditions warrant.

Put them all on and with a carry strap, grab it and go.
Take them back off and and I have just the knife.

Works for me.

I ordered myself 2 Spec ops combat master sheats in foliage green. I've been looking a long time for a good sheath and I think the spec ops are great:thumbup:

Will post some pics when I get them.

Not "dissing" you guys who are willing and able to spend $50-$100 on the nice sheaths shown, or those creative guys who make and sell the custom Kydex rigs, you understand. I guess I am just of a bent to do more with less, and enjoy my knife related "playtime".

Codger

Codger , I am with you, knives cost a good deal as it is, even a $50 sheath to me is, well, quite a bit. I know that you can't quarrel with a hand made sheath, and that it is a true craft to make them.

This is why I am learning to do my own sheath work. $8 for a piece of kydex, that I can fathom...never been afraid to try something new. Might even be able to make some as gifts for friends, eventually. :)

I'm a big fan of chicago screws to hold a kydex sheath together, that way you can really clean it out if sand gets in it. definatly use locktite to prevent accedental loosening.

I've been messin with this idea for awhile, now. This is kind of "low rent" way to do it, but it works. The MH has a generic pouch from a diamond stone zip-stripped on; by luck I can also squeeze a magnesium bar in there. The Ka-Bar's aftermarket sheath has a GI 1st aid pouch instead, to which I can add a cheap multi-tool and 4-function whistle. The glob on the end is +/-15' of 550 cord, I had to duct tape it cause I suck at wrapping.:eek:

I cut little "button-holes" in the pouches, for the strips to go thru. I singed the edges with a lighter but I'm sure they'll rip eventually. It occurs to me that you could mount a piece of webbing on the front of the sheath, to accept ALICE clips and whatnot, but I'm just thinking out loud on that one.

If you move up to an M-16 pouch, you can just about camp out of it. Space blanket, garbage bag, more cord, small 1st aid kit, water tabs, nicer/bigger multi-tool, plus the above stuff, and it rattles around still.

I have been thinking along the same lines and here are a couple pics that may inspire my designs. Remember, these are not my photos, I just saved them off the net for future reference on my projects.

kdxmk6aurigasb5.jpg

img0136bw7.jpg

hrpants05.jpg

aurigacompleft026vq.jpg

07_okuden_back.jpg

Thanks for all the pics, man, got some good ideas floating.
Coyote, I really like the attachment system for those pouches!

It's nice to be able to make it "modular" and be able to use the knife sheath pouch together or separates.

Good show!

I bought one of those survival sheaths and can't use it. The liner was made from crushed tubing, not kydex and the sheath itself wasn't wide enough to take a BK-7. Useless. I know what I want and when I get to it I'll make my own. But it won't be a sheath with a pack added on, but rather a small pack with a sheath.

Skunk, I think Kydex is really good material. It is easily workable, all you need is a heat gun, it's definitely a DIY project. All you need are those really cool eyelets and rivets.

Now, if you really want to get ugly and primitive, try rawhide. I've posted a picture elsewhere, will post it again if you really want to see it.

Rawhide is like Kydex. It's slimy and sloppy when wet...easily cuttable with scissors...and when it's dry it is as hard as plastic.

Where do you get it? Local pet store. Buy one of those big honkin dog chewies, throw it in a tub of hot water, and wait for it to unravel. Then flatten it, cut it with a pair of scissors into what ever project you have in mind. Then wait a couple of days for it to dry.

Coldwood, have you stained rawhide? I'm thinking if stained when wet, and maybe poly'ed when dry, it would be pretty rugged. I need to make something for my 'hawk, and I already got a doggie bone, lol...

Back