• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Survive GSO knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any experience with this company. I called them before placing my order and they told me my knife would ship within 3 months. I ordered it on April 18 2017. It is now July 21 2017. They told me that there are many orders ahead of me. What I can't understand is that the demand payment in full up front, yet they conduct " Wednesday sales" and sell knives that should go to ordered knife customers. I don't get it. The thing is that you can't get a straight answer out of them, just a run around. I have been told it is worth the wait.
Thanks
Mark

Has anyone had any experience with this company. I called them before placing my order and they told me my knife would ship within 3 months. I ordered it on April 18 2017. It is now July 21 2017. They told me that there are many orders ahead of me. What I can't understand is that the demand payment in full up front, yet they conduct " Wednesday sales" and sell knives that should go to ordered knife customers. I don't get it. The thing is that you can't get a straight answer out of them, just a run around. I have been told it is worth the wait.
Thanks
Mark
I've never dealt with them but I have read a lot about them.. I've heard they were some of the best knives you could buy and also that you'll probably be waiting for awhile to get them.. in fact that's the only negative thing I've ever seen about the company is you have to pay for your knife and wait.. good luck I hope it comes soon

I have a 4 & 10 that I really like, however, last week a guy that put in his order in 2014 was finally getting his order shipped, so I would be prepared for a wait...

In on 1!

@OP: Don't expect to see that knife anytime soon, there are people that have been waiting 2+ years for their knives.

I have absolutely no proof about this so ymmv but I'm pretty sure that company is operating in the red and using current orders to fund their past orders. Even refunds take several months (and public shaming)before they are issued.

Sorry, OP, but you may have made a grievous error. Survive is well known for the high quality of their knives, particularly given the price, but they are also infamous for simply lying about wait/shipping times, production schedule and other issues. If you're a patient man you will almost certainly recieve a very nice knife, but there is literally no telling how long it will take. If you don't feel like being taken for that ride I recommend requesting a refund from the company as well as starting a polite refund request thread in their subforum, as that seems to expedite the process.

Magtrucks,

It sounds like you ordered a second. If that's the case, it seems like the seconds have been shipping at around six months or so. If you didn't order a second, you will have a long wait.

It sucks they don't provide/update their lead times so you know what you are getting into, but I think they are worth the wait.

I think it took between 3-4 months for me to receive my 4.1. This was back in 2015. I wasn't in a hurry to get it though. Survive! knives are excellent quality. I'm not sure I'd wait again though. There are other great options available from other makers.

Has anyone had any experience with this company. I called them before placing my order and they told me my knife would ship within 3 months.

Was there a second digit in that number, because I'm not sure Survive has ever shipped a knife in 3 months. They're a text book case of how not to run a business I'm afraid, and a quick search of any knife-related forum will unearth quite a few unhappy customers due to the exact same concern you have.

The GSO 5.1 I had was nothing special, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about really. At the time I bought that knife - about 2 years ago - Survive was basically just assembling them. The blanks were cut off site, heat treating was out-sourced, primary bevel grind was done by someone else, handle scales were bought already shaped, sheath work was farmed out. They bolted everything together, put the final edge on and shipped them. It makes you wonder why they have such lengthy delays, but it's been that way for a long time now.

The Quarterly What's Wrong with Survive! Knives Thread.

Survive! Knives has been able to convince a few people that making a knife is a mysterious art form and not simple manufacturing.

There are far superior knives readily available from responsible manufacturers and makers. There's no reason to accept otherwise.

yet they conduct " Wednesday sales" and sell knives that should go to ordered knife customers. I don't get it. The thing is that you can't get a straight answer out of them, just a run around. I have been told it is worth the wait.
Thanks
Mark

Wednesday sales are 90+ days to delivery as well, at least for all the ones I bought in the last 2 years.

They are only worth the wait, if you find it worth the wait and your experience is the norm not the exception. For me and the 2nds/Ugly Betties I bought, it was worth the 3-5 months for each one, although only kept 2 of the 4 I bought as I went a little Survive crazy. They are amongst my favorite heavy duty knives, but wouldn't make myself crazy buying another.

They are who they are and have/will not be changing any time soon. I would suggest wait or get a refund, as you will get one or the other eventually.

I'm glad I got in back when it only took literally 7 days to receive these two.
There was no pre-ordering back then.

DSCN2722_zps2s7rpeg8.jpg

I ordered a GSO 5.1 May 16 still had no news approx 1 year latter working on their monthly production newsletter I anticipated another 2 year wait as it had taken 9 months on one model production and 8 models were in front of the 5.1 I requested a refund and received the refund after chasing on numerous occasions about 2months later. Ordered a adventure Sworn Explorer 3v received it in 3weeks and am really pleased service from Cody super great quality knife happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back