SURVIVE! Starter

Edit: I missed your comment about the ferro notch. We'll most likely still offer the ferro notch in the future. It really does improve the amount of hot sparks when compared to just using a flat spine.

Before I reply to quote I just want to say thank you for your product and like others have said listening to the people I really can't wait til you get some pics up of your new models especially the GSO 12.

In reply to the flat 90 degree spine. I agree a ferro notch may give more surface area per strike in sparks. However utility wise and I have this problem with other knifemakers but most spines are rounded or contoured and I'm assuming that makes the spine of the knife stronger? Can't blame anyone for wanting that especially with your awesome warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong but utility wise. Usefulness I for one get more use out of a flat spine. Now I do a lot of bushcrafting and most might not but being able to scrap with that sharp spine on bark or whatever really makes acquiring tinder bundles a dream makes fuzz beautifully. Is that a requirement? No but I do love it. Not to mention being able to strike from wherever has an appeal to me.

Just my opinion I'm sure others feel the same or differently but I thought I'd share like I said your certainly not the only one that doesn't have flat spines.
I usually end up flattening a large section of most my fixed blades on water stones which takes awhile but theres little room for error on my part.

Thanks again for listening and making a great American product! Wish I could've swung by the sharp while ya were still in Gettysburg. Born and raised Adams County here.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere but what kind of time frame are we looking at here. I read where it says there is no guaranteed deliverary date but I was wondering if we could get some kinda of idea of how long it could take, like 2 months, 6 months, a year? Also, of all the models you have available which will get built first or will that be decided after the end of April when you have a better idea of which is in more demand? Thanks for your time. I'm excited!

7/7 ordered, now it's time to forget I made the order so it just shows up one day!

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere but what kind of time frame are we looking at here. I read where it says there is no guaranteed deliverary date but I was wondering if we could get some kinda of idea of how long it could take, like 2 months, 6 months, a year? Also, of all the models you have available which will get built first or will that be decided after the end of April when you have a better idea of which is in more demand? Thanks for your time. I'm excited!

Before I answer this I do have to clarify for those who may have missed it that there is no guaranteed delivery date. Do not come back in 6 months being all, "but Ellie, you said!"

IDEALLY, the first batches should be done in about 3-4 months. The last of these runs should be done closer to 6-7 months from now. We will decide which models are produced in what order by looking at the trends we see in the starter. We do already have steel for the mid-sized knives so one or more of those will likely be done first.

Before I answer this I do have to clarify for those who may have missed it that there is no guaranteed delivery date. Do not come back in 6 months being all, "but Ellie, you said!"

IDEALLY, the first batches should be done in about 3-4 months. The last of these runs should be done closer to 6-7 months from now. We will decide which models are produced in what order by looking at the trends we see in the starter. We do already have steel for the mid-sized knives so one or more of those will likely be done first.

How about adding more employees? the way I see this, you guys can have unlimited funds from consumers but with 3 employees doing all the builds and sharpening, I don't think is going to help the cause.
Also, are your service providers and vendors ready for the ramping your production? unless you bring some of the production in house with an adequate amount of employees. I can almost guarantee that it will take close to a year to finish a production run.

Guy, you're going to have customers that are new to knives or getting into the hype. I can almost guarantee you that the same customers that supports you right now and buys in to your kick starter plan are the same people who will B****, whine and complain. I think that's just going to be a headache and I don't want to sound too negative but i think this kickstarter could be your downfall. if you fail to deliver, your image will suffer. correct me if I'm wrong but you might be biting more than you can chew on this one.

Last edited:
Yes PLEASE continue to offer the ferro notch. I absolutely love it. It throws way more sparks than a flat spine does, like massively more.

I know the 4.1 is slated for a release in less than two weeks. Would it be smart to do a pre-order(Starter Knives) for a 4.1. Problem is - not sure what steel you guys are releasing the 4.1 in. Also, would a 4.1 pre-order pull a knife from the upcoming release - if so I will pre-order in whatever steel you guys are releasing and hope I pick a handle that will be in stock.

Hope this makes sense.

How about adding more employees? the way I see this, you guys can have unlimited funds from consumers but with 3 employees doing all the builds and sharpening, I don't think is going to help the cause.
Also, are your service providers and vendors ready for the ramping your production? unless you bring some of the production in house with an adequate amount of employees. I can almost guarantee that it will take close to a year to finish a production run.

Guy, you're going to have customers that are new to knives or getting into the hype. I can almost guarantee you that the same customers that supports you right now and buys in to your kick starter plan are the same people who will B****, whine and complain. I think that's just going to be a headache and I don't want to sound too negative but i think this kickstarter could be your downfall. if you fail to deliver, your image will suffer. correct me if I'm wrong but you might be biting more than you can chew on this one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! lol On a serious note though, adding more employees isn't what we need right now, please trust me on that. We went down that road when I was working with "professionals" who thought throwing people at the problem would fix it. Employees will suck the cash out of your endeavors faster than you can even imagine. On top of the base hourly wages you pay a person, there is the unemployment compensation fund, worker's comp insurance, and a litany of taxes the employer has to pay for the pleasure of hiring someone. The more people you have, the more you have to pay, the faster you have to work just to cover your fixed costs. If you happen to have a slow couple of weeks, the employees still need paid, the taxes still need paid, the insurances for having them still need paid. When I saw the amount of money we paid out just in taxes and mandatory tariffs last year, even only having a few people, I wanted to vomit. With all that money we could have purchased a lot of equipment and steel.

What we need right now is money to boost our production run sizes and proper industrial finishing equipment, so that I can have my own two hands on more of the manufacturing process. That alone will sustantially reduce our spoilage, increase our overall quality dramatically and cut down our lead times considerably. Before I go hiring people, I need things for them to do. I need to gather together infrastructure and set up procedures for people to follow. I do have one guy who used to work for me coming out here after he graduates college in about two months. He is a very capable and intelligent guy, who is willing to do anything we need him to. He is a valuable asset to me. Those unfortunately don't come along too often.

I know the 4.1 is slated for a release in less than two weeks. Would it be smart to do a pre-order(Starter Knives) for a 4.1. Problem is - not sure what steel you guys are releasing the 4.1 in. Also, would a 4.1 pre-order pull a knife from the upcoming release - if so I will pre-order in whatever steel you guys are releasing and hope I pick a handle that will be in stock.

Hope this makes sense.

Hey There,

There are some differences between the GSO-4.1s being offered on the SURVIVE! Starter for preorder and the current production ones that will be releasing in two weeks for the spring cleaning sale. The SURVIVE! Starter preorder is for a new spec GSO-4.1, where you get to choose exactly the options you would like, the choice of either CPM-3V or CPM-20CV steel and the fit and finish will be to a completely new standard. The GSO-4.1s releasing in two weeks are the very last of the previous production run. We'll only have a limited amount of handle color options and the blades will be our standard tumbled finish. The blades are all CPM-3V and most of them don't have spine jimping. The up side of those though, is that for one they'll be out in two weeks and two they'll be 20% off.

Thanks for the quick response! Sounds good. I'll be waiting for this batch then.

So will it be possible to get the 10% discount / bonus if you purchase a mix of knives and store credit with a combined value of $1000+? There's definitely a couple of the new models I want, and if there's a folder and machete coming out, would make sense to get a bit of store credit as well.

One day, I hope to see a hard-use GSO balisong.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the 12 and new 7/7.

The GSO-4.1s releasing in two weeks are the very last of the previous production run. We'll only have a limited amount of handle color options and the blades will be our standard tumbled finish. The blades are all CPM-3V and most of them don't have spine jimping. The up side of those though, is that for one they'll be out in two weeks and two they'll be 20% off.

Oh, I need one of those!! You'd better get a fast web server to handle all the reloading until they are released as well... ;) Please release them in the morning so we sleepy Europeans have a snowballs chance too! :)

Yap, europeans are not able to get hands on smaller batches. They are sold out way to fast for us.

I only need ONE knife, its a crazy chase for 18 month now

Guy or Ellie,

Maybe I missed it, but are planning a cut off date or some threshhold that stops the kickstarter? Like $30,000 of knives ordered or 500 knives ordered or even just a date? I am trying to decide on what to get next and would like a ballpark idea of the possible timeframe.

Thanks

Riz

Remember guys, this is a starter program. Even after this program ends there is no timeline to receive the blades you ordered. I am excited as the everyone, but lets keep this in mind. It has been said before but it's worth saying again, If you are looking to have a blade by a certain time DO NOT use the starter program it will only cause heart ache. If you can wait patiently you will be rewarded with a price discount and and great tool!

Last edited:
So will it be possible to get the 10% discount / bonus if you purchase a mix of knives and store credit with a combined value of $1000+? There's definitely a couple of the new models I want, and if there's a folder and machete coming out, would make sense to get a bit of store credit as well.

One day, I hope to see a hard-use GSO balisong.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the 12 and new 7/7.

The discount only applies to the Starter knives. The store credit does not count toward the total dollar amount assessed for the discount because we are applying a credit, rather than a discount. We wanted to avoid discounting the store credit, which would be counter productive. It would also be incredibly time consuming, since I will be that one sorting through all of these and doing the math to add that extra percentage to store credit orders.

Oh, I need one of those!! You'd better get a fast web server to handle all the reloading until they are released as well... ;) Please release them in the morning so we sleepy Europeans have a snowballs chance too! :)

We have quite a few of the GSO-4.1s so I expect them to be in stock for at least a few days. There is always someone sleeping when we open up ordering, why can't the world be flat?! hahah. I will see about getting them listed a bit earlier in the day.

Guy or Ellie,

Maybe I missed it, but are planning a cut off date or some threshhold that stops the kickstarter? Like $30,000 of knives ordered or 500 knives ordered or even just a date? I am trying to decide on what to get next and would like a ballpark idea of the possible timeframe.

Thanks

Riz

April 30th is the cut off day. We were planning for 45 days but April 30th is easier to remember. We didn't want to put any limits on it. The more we take in from the promotion, the more we will be able to invest in production runs and equipment.

It wasn't asked but I also thought I should mention, the images will be up in the next week. So you don't have to worry about getting an order in without seeing the knives. There should be plenty of time to look at the renderings and think about it before the promotion ends.

Back