SURVIVOR! Try stick

The dark parts of the wood are the "late wood" growth rings. The tree grew more slowly during that period and so the wood is denser and more hard.
Those railings appear to be pressure treated lumber. It probably contains metals and other chemicals to prevent decay.

Yeah I didn't even think of that aspect! Treated or kiln dried lumber is some hard stuff to cut. I bet the material I used was just regular untreated pine because it bows like crazy if the humidity changes.

Green dimensioned lumber can bow when it dries. Wood is more stable if it processed to the final dimensions after it has been dried and come to the correct moisture content.
Furniture makers let their wood sit in the shop for a long time before they cut and plane it to size.
Wood always changes dimensions when it changes moisture content, and if the wood isn't uniform in structure it is likely to bow or cup.
So if you want a really pretty try stick to hang on to find some nice clean grained dry wood.

Yep. I always make sure that the wood flooring I do acclimates to the house for at least 3 days before I'll set it. The humidity out here in Socal will change it's mind quickly and I've seen straight lumber turn into a propeller real quick.

Well I had some time today so gave this a shot. Pretty happy with it. Will have to try another due to not getting everything on it that I wanted.
6a0846b62ae8c81cc85b06ef4fd1df66.jpg

I used yours as an example. First time trying one of these. Happy but not up to yours yet. Will keep working on it.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it bud! You blew my Christmas tree detail out of the water! That's one of the hardest for me to do and I have broken a few of them.

Finally finished my second Try stick. No rolls, no dings and the knife is as sharp as ever. A+ on the new heat treat!

Finally finished my second Try stick. No rolls, no dings and the knife is as sharp as ever. A+ on the new heat treat!

Nice work! I was at Home Depot today and forgot to get some of that damn material again!
I need to test my ability on that harder stuff.

I always forget to get it when we're there. My wife is the one that reminds me.

Thanks!!

Nice one OBX351!
I just started one yesterday with some seasoned mulberry to finally break in my recently re-acquired 4.1.

Nice one OBX351!
I just started one yesterday with some seasoned mulberry to finally break in my recently re-acquired 4.1.

TY! Recently re-acquired 4.1? Did you send it off to get sharpened? I just got a shipping notification for about 15 of my GSOs. I've missed 'em!! Hopefully my new 4.7 is in the shipment.

TY! Recently re-acquired 4.1? Did you send it off to get sharpened? I just got a shipping notification for about 15 of my GSOs. I've missed 'em!! Hopefully my new 4.7 is in the shipment.

I traded this 4.1 with one of my friends last year and he never used it so I bought it back.
That would be sweet if you got your 4.7 with all of the others coming back! I can't wait to use mine!

Well it's good to get one back. I called S! and my 4.7 is still in production and coming soon.

Way to bring back a wayward 4.1!!! I think it's still my favorite survive knife. Classic in design. Now I need to get in on this try stick business.

Back