Swords - big frighin knife - Legal in WA?

I might consider an unsheathed sword a potential threat , depending on context .

This type of legal question is central to justified use of lethal force, in self-defense .

Trouble with swords is that there are few innocent , non-threatening contexts for even carrying around a sword openly .

In my area , open carry of firearms is perfectly legal and not too unusual to see in public . Walmart etc .

Some people might not like it and even feel threatened , but it's not illegal unless brandished or used to threaten purposefully .

Normal type belt knives , not normally a problem either ...but some BA sword ?

Some cosplay or sword related event , yeah . Acceptable context .

Random sketchy stranger in public packing a real sword for no good known reason ...?

Except on my own private property , I almost never "open carry" anything that's primarily and obviously a weapon .
Open carry is legal in my state, Washington, a very liberal state, but I rarely see it. I have had a concealed carry license and carried daily for decades. But anyone walking down the street with a sword in their hand would have my full attention till they were out of sight. If it can make me feel uncomfortable I would guess most others would have a lower threshold. And I think most people are decent by nature.

I would think that a major factor in how threatening a sword is perceived to be, is the general apparel & appearance of the person carrying it, aswell as the type of sword in question.

Extreme example:
Young man with tattoos, a black hoodie, sweat pants, worn sneakers and a baseball cap horizontal carrying a blacked out tactical Katana.
Middle aged man in a brown 3-piece suit with a 18th century small sword, hanging straight down his left side.

Who will most people be more concerned about? I know its prejudice but that's just how it is. The guy with the small sword is probably a curiosity to people, rather then a threat.
In general; more formal, neat clothing in combination with more modern, elegant, high class swords will probably be perceived to be less of a threat. Hanging a sword vertically rather then horizontally or at an angle will also seem less intimidating.

I'd like to understand whether there are any specific laws preventing someone, from carryong a sword in their vehicle (i.e. plainly visible, to avoid concealed laws. But hidden when im not in vehicle).

I've read the laws and I can't find a definitive answer if swords are illegal. There are even exemptions saying this law does not apply to self-defense, implying that a sword used in self-defense is legitimate use

The single catch all is this. But it also applies to guns, and I know guns are legal.

"(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

But this is very vague. "Time and place" , "manner", "display", "draw", "exhibit". Whatever applies to swords applies to firearms. "In a manner" seems to be the relevant part.

I would think having a sheathed sword, with no attempt at drawing it, would be ok. But I don't trust that mearly having one with you wouldn't be seen as illegal, under this law.

More relevant to the point of my question is the case where I have a sheathed sword on the back seat of my jeep, or an ATV, or even slung across my back, while out in the woods.

Does anyone know of any law that makes that illegal, in WA.?
You could try and use the open carry of firearms as precedence, where merely having a holstered pistol is not illegal and does not appear to intimidate or create alarm. IF you got into an argument, left, then came back with a pistol on your belt then you could be arrested as coming back with a visible gun would be seen as an attempt to intimidate. The same could be argued for a sword. There are a number of training bulletins that were sent out by various police departments and sheriff's offices about this because of people getting arrested for it, then suing for a violation of their rights.

And don't be the dumbass a few years ago walking around the Tacoma mall with a sword like object (that was sharp) just stuck in his belt. No scabbard. So first he was breaking the length limit in the city, then it wasn't even in a scabbard and kind of not reasonable to do. It was known it was sharp because then the police stopped him and he removed the sword he cut his belt and his pants fell down.

But it also comes to what is considered reasonable. Walking around downtown with a sword is generally not reasonable. A machete in the woods probably is reasonable. And of course some cities are pretty strict. Seattle has a 3.5" limit and no fixed knives at all unless openly worn for work (like say someone with a linoleum knife) or while going hiking or fishing or in a tool box, Tacoma has a 3.5 inch limit, Yelm and Everett have a 3 inch limit.... so a sword would be illegal in those areas.

or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
This terribly worded sentence of the code is dangerous for any open knife/sword carry.

As noted above, it’s extremely broad and is dependent on the OPINIONS of others.

Along with the below incredibly broad sentence regarding concealed knives, the two laws together make essentially any carried knife illegal if someone decides it is.

From RCW 9.41.250:
b) “Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon”

That means that if you’re unlucky enough to encounter both a cop and a DA that doesn’t like knives, you could end up in jail with a “gross misdemeanor”, for carrying ANY knife or “dangerous object”. No thanks.

Back