Swords for Home Defense

Just once, please JUST ONCE, can this topic be discussed without firearms taking over the thread?:confused:

Honestly there are places in the country I know a gun may be hard to come by or even have. If that is the case I guess a good /sword knife beats nothing but it certainly don't beat a gun. As far as it being off topic! If someone were looking for the means to defend themselves, could have a gun, I think anyone recommending a sword over a firearm is doing that person a disservice. I don't have nothing to prove to any would-be attacker except he made a mistake in attacking me. I don't plan on giving him any chance at all! I have no plans to get close enough to use a sword/knife on somone unless they have become my weapons of last resort.

Gun owners almost always underestimate blades, cops are taught that if they let a guy with a knife within 20 feet without drawing their weapon they are dead.
A short sword is better than a long one for fighting indoors. A knife is much quicker to bring into play. At the range of most civilian gunfights a knife is as deadly as any handgun. The only advantage handguns really have is you don't need as much strength or training to use one effectivly and killing someone is less personal and messy. Give me a rifle and a good fighting knife
handguns are for yahoos and people who are self concious about their manhood.

Yup. That's a post where every sentence is calculated to trigger a response. We must be tired so late into the year.

A knife is much quicker to bring into play. At the range of most civilian gunfights a knife is as deadly as any handgun. The only advantage handguns really have is you don't need as much strength or training to use one effectivly and killing someone is less personal and messy. Give me a rifle and a good fighting knife handguns are for yahoos and people who are self concious about their manhood.

You made the point very well. The handgun does no requires the same skill and strength to effectively stop someone. You don't have to get close and take a chance of being bested by that attacker. The idea here is to sop the attack without getting hurt or killed yourself. Anyone promoting a knife over a handgun is either far better than most of America with a knife or they have an overblown opinion of their own manhood.

I've always considered the handgun to be the great equalizer to superior strenght or number. For sure a rifle caliber has more stopping power in general but to say a knife is as good as a handguns seems lacking common sense. My Dad always told me not to bring a knife to a gun fight. Always seemed like good advice to me.

I did qualify that, a sword is better than a gun within 20 feet. My first choice for self defence would be a rifle with bayonet.
I was being a troll with that last statement but I do get tired of people thinking a handgun makes them invulnerable. I live in canada so I can not legally carry a gun but if I am attacked by criminals they probably have one. I am alowed to carry a knife so I have practiced tecniques for fighting a gunman with a knife and practiced with airsoft. It is a 2 step plan
Step 1 cover the ground between us very fast
Step 2 pray he is one of those idiots who holds their gun sideways.
What I have found is what is important is how far has he got his gun out before you rush him. If he has it cocked,safety off pointed at you 20 feet away your dead. But if he walks right up to you with the gun stuck in his baggy pants the trick is to let him go for the gun that way his hands are away from his neck.

I certainly would not want to have to try this with a SF soldier but I feel pretty confident aabout my chances wiht the type of threat I am likely to face.

The thing I don't like abut handguns is it has made it to easy and impersonal to kill someone. I am not for banning them as long as you are an adult and accept responsibilty for your actions it is none of my business.

Filipino Ginunting sword. That's my first choice... also a Filipino Barong with the straight spine.

Gun owners almost always underestimate blades, cops are taught that if they let a guy with a knife within 20 feet without drawing their weapon they are dead.

True, knives are with out a doubt the single most deadly thing to face at close range.

A short sword is better than a long one for fighting indoors. A knife is much quicker to bring into play. At the range of most civilian gunfights a knife is as deadly as any handgun.

Swords both short and long also including large Bowie knives and similar designs actually have more "Stopping" power than any handgun.

OK, shields are up I'm ready for the fireballs on this one. LOL

The only advantage handguns really have is you don't need as much strength or training to use one effectivly and killing someone is less personal and messy.

What about age and physical limitations? guns have their place.

Give me a rifle and a good fighting knife

Not a bad choice.

handguns are for yahoos and people who are self concious about their manhood.

People with big sharp things could also fall into this catagory. ;)

Bors

Back