Swords for Home Defense

I have a Practical katana Plus next to the bed in an upright sword stand. On the nighttable next to it is my Becker Extreme. Behind them both is my police issue mag-lite. Across the room are 2 more swords hanging on the wall. A modified Practical katana (4th gen) with dual pins and removable custom handle as well as a Hanwei straight blade samurai sword. Some call it a ninja sword but that's a discussion for another day.

I'm just glad I don't live in some liberal Democrat run inner city where people are denied the God-given right of self-defense. I live just outside of such a place - Atlanta - but the suburbs such as the one I live in are different worlds from Atlanta. One suburb, Kennesaw, is famous for having passed a (unenforced) law that says every homeowner must keep a gun for home defense. And yes, Kennesaw has a very, very low crime rate. Other suburbs around Atlanta have strikingly lower crime rates provided they aren't havens for the same kind of liberal jerks and low life elements that populate the city of Atlanta.

Fuller, this may be true... But I am pretty sure that if they cant own a gun, can they really own a sword???? I dont know for A FACT but i am pretty sure swords are illegal in the places you listed sir.
As Fuller suspects, I'm not aware of any US place where owning a sword is illegal.

Carrying one in public is a different story, and as Hugh says, laws vary based on intent.

I'm just glad I don't live in some liberal Democrat run inner city where people are denied the God-given right of self-defense. I live just outside of such a place - Atlanta - but the suburbs such as the one I live in are different worlds from Atlanta. One suburb, Kennesaw, is famous for having passed a (unenforced) law that says every homeowner must keep a gun for home defense. And yes, Kennesaw has a very, very low crime rate. Other suburbs around Atlanta have strikingly lower crime rates provided they aren't havens for the same kind of liberal jerks and low life elements that populate the city of Atlanta.

Correct me if I am wrong. If convicted of certain, gun/violent crimes, you may not be able to own a firearm. Therefore you are not allowed to live in your suburb.

I would like to meet that legislator.

The philosophy liberals follow is that if no one has guns then the criminals would be much less likely to top you. The failing of this idea is that in violent areas, like South Africa, it fails to deal with violent crime, rape, gang entertainment etc. I have seen it reduce violence related to robbery but there it ends. Breaking and entry clearly is a terrible threat to family so where a firearm gives a huge advantage to a responsible what is the rational of restriction?

Correct me if I am wrong. If convicted of certain, gun/violent crimes, you may not be able to own a firearm. Therefore you are not allowed to live in your suburb.

Mostly correct. If convicted of certian crimes you will loose your rite to own a firearm however there are no restrictions on where you can live.
There is a caveat and that is if your a convicted of a sex crime you have to register where you live which is a matter of public record.

I would like to meet that legislator.

The philosophy liberals follow is that if no one has guns then the criminals would be much less likely to top you. The failing of this idea is that in violent areas, like South Africa, it fails to deal with violent crime, rape, gang entertainment etc. I have seen it reduce violence related to robbery but there it ends. Breaking and entry clearly is a terrible threat to family so where a firearm gives a huge advantage to a responsible what is the rational of restriction?

There is no advantage to restriction except for those who are paranoid and wish to control. Crime brings in billions of dollars every year for our legal system what can you say :rolleyes:. It is getting better but slowly many states have laxed their concealed carry laws and are writing better legislation but we still have a long ways to to go.

Hey JD,

The topic has been discussed many times in many places. Survey says (and common sense too) that if it is home defense you are interested in purchase a handgun. It's easier to use, more powerful and will give you a parity with whatever intruder comes in your house.

Wrong! Home Defense... DO NOT get a handgun! Get a SHOTGUN. The only purpose for a handgun is to lay down covering fire for the SHOTGUN! :thumbup:

handguns for HOME DEFENSE>>>>:jerkit:

Reconseed it can be argued that a handgun is more manueverable in a house than a shotgun. Also the blast and flash can limit your two most important senses in the dark.

I wouldn't equate a handgun being used for homedefense to one giving himself a handjob!

Wrong! Home Defense... DO NOT get a handgun! Get a SHOTGUN. The only purpose for a handgun is to lay down covering fire for the SHOTGUN! :thumbup:
Not wrong. This is an ancient argument. The conclusion among people who know is that neither is better: what matters in this context is the shooter.

For some, the shotgun allows you to use #9 bird shot which is less likely to penetrate two layers of drywall but still likely to deter an attacker. Others recommend #4 or #5 bird shot--some say nothing less than 00 buck--but acknowledge that while this should stop any attacker, it can also do severe damage to occupants within other rooms. Anyone with a family knows that that's the first priority, not "laying down cover fire" or whatever it is you're trying to promote. I maintain that one can't knowledgeably discuss shotgun usage without equally discussing what you're loading into it. That's the whole science behind their usage.

On the other hand, the shotgun is clearly not everybody's weapon. Lots of people find them awkward to handle, shoot, and even ready. I can sympathize with the concern that it's tough to store one in the house in a readily accessible location like a bedroom--especially with kids around the house. As such, lots of people prefer to rely on a handgun. Easy to conceal in a nightstand, and grabbing one at three in the morning requires little to get it ready besides tripping the safety.

It's what your experience and comfort level dictate, because that's all that will likely function at that time of night.

Lots of people don't like the idea of firearms at all--that a sword or spear is safer to the other occupants of the home, and in many ways just as effective at the very close distances we're talking about in a home...in all ways, better than nothing.

"the blast and flash can limit your two most important senses in the dark."

and a handgun doesnt? have you ever fired a handgun of any caliber inside a house? well if you havent and its in the dark, any blast from a gun is going to "limit your 2 more important senses." bottom line is this, go on any gun forum and ask what is the best gun for homedefense... you will get "shotgun." and the comment saying you cant amneuver a shotgun as well as a pistol is about as obvious as night and day.... so i wont respond to that one...

either way, ANY gun would be better than a edged weapon for Home defense. however, if some people cant own guns... owning a tactical tomahawk or a sword isnt a bad idea either... (but the sword will be harder to maneuver around the house than that ole shotgun;)) either way do whatever ya like man.

Using a sword takes training and understanding on many levels. Sharp pointy things have been defending home and country longer than guns think about it.

Reciently a man was cleaning an assult rifle he bought for protection and had a AD/ND. He put it away and went to bed ony to be awakened by a woman screaming next door. When his rifle discharged it went through the wall and hit the womans sleeping husband in the head killing him instantly. Guns can be a bad choice for protection in appartments.

Sharp pointy things may be considered "Old Technology" but those who are familiar do not question their effectiveness.

Rec, I'm not saying that a shotgun is a bad choice. I'm saying that using a handgun to defend ones self in the home is not a bad idea either.

I have shot a handgun in a house before, and I've shot a shotgun outside before. The shotgun was worse on my ears outside than the handgun was inside. As to the flash I have no idea, but I'd imagine unless you were using a large caliber revolver with short barrel, that the flash from a shotgun would be worse.

Rec, I'm not saying that a shotgun is a bad choice. I'm saying that using a handgun to defend ones self in the home is not a bad idea either.

I have shot a handgun in a house before, and I've shot a shotgun outside before. The shotgun was worse on my ears outside than the handgun was inside. As to the flash I have no idea, but I'd imagine unless you were using a large caliber revolver with short barrel, that the flash from a shotgun would be worse.

You are correct, but if you have the money, go for the shotgun. Facts have it that the shogun, which is able to be had in more places than handguns (think inner city)...

Also in response to the guy who talked about edged weapons defending home and country longer than guns... Sir, your comment is factual. BUT..... the longevity of knives and hawks and swords vs guns in terms of whats better is irrelevant. The fact is, technology has it that guns are better for HD. I will never say a gun is more deadly than the knife, hawk, or sword, b/c as you said, in the right hands, an edged weapon can be EXTREMELY deadly. good thread guys.:thumbup:

Get a little yapping dog that barks at every sound. This is a detourent to start with. Also my dogs sleep on the floor at the foot of my bed and can feel the vibrations of the floor when someone is walking about the house. If they growl it's one of my kids if they bark I need to take a look. As for the self defense with a sword? I think we all have that primative need or instinctive desire to defend ourselves or what is ours with an edged weapon. But as those who know, know. Most people under a stress-fire situation will have a second thought or freeze in the belief that this is not happening to them and that can be deadly. Not that you won't have the same issues with a firearm but once you have gotten over it you will be much better off that you have 20 or 12 gauge or a .38 in your hands. A good Chen or a Cold Steel will set you back as much as the fireams mentioned. Think this one out a bit more before your final choice is made. Remember, it is better to have a plan than a weapon, but it's always good to have both! ~baba~

There is a place for the rifle, shotgun, and handgun. Of the three the handgun would be my last choice but I do favor it under certain cirumstances.

There are two places a handgun works quite well.

1.)One would be on hidden on your person when your on the street or on your hip at home. That rifle or shotgun might be hard to come by if its in your car, house, or even another room.

2.)In the home or other confined areas where a longer barrel gun would be a hindrance to movement. I've worked my empty 870 through various points in my home and for me it's optimal at certain points. Down hallways, down steps but checking rooms out I've found it to be cumbersome to say the least. Who knows, that thing going bump in the night might simply be something falling off the wall or a loved one bumping into one.

My home defense handgun is a Glock 23 with a laser mounted to it. My light is the Gladius light. I don't like a light mounted to the weapon simply because you might be putting the muzzle on something you don't want to shoot.

I like the shotgun idea. I have an old slide action in the bedroom { unloaded ]
and if I hear a noise, I stand at the top of the steps and chamber it like I ment it. It's a pretty scary sound.

I like the shotgun idea. I have an old slide action in the bedroom { unloaded ]
and if I hear a noise, I stand at the top of the steps and chamber it like I ment it. It's a pretty scary sound.

Assuming your goblin knows what that sound is. If he doesn't fall for it, you may consider a backup plan.

Just once, please JUST ONCE, can this topic be discussed without firearms taking over the thread?:confused:
Well, they took over in the second post. This may be a weakness within the topic, as opposed to the readers. In other words, it may be like trying to discuss automotive maintenance without discussing the need for frequent oil changes. That is, it tends to *be* the topic.

Edited to add: but to be fair, in the Axe and Tomahawk forum, we can go for days discussing how to take down and buck trees without once discussing chainsaws. However, when it comes to defense of life and property, many people see no reason to exclude an obvious slightly-more-modern solution. And that may be why.

I'm with Hitokiri find one thats short and you feel comfortable with...I like my Bowie or my tanto but for sure don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

Back