Swords for Home Defense

FullerH said:
All of the above considered, I think that I would stand by my recommendation of a good, handy short sword that has both cut and thrust capability. Since I already have one, a Gladius Hispaniensis that is delightfully light and quick, I don't need to go looking, but I do understand that the Kris Cutlery gladius in the Pompeii style is quite solid and very handy.

The Gladius Hispaniensis is a good non asian choice. Personaly I like a good large bowie or a good viking sword.

FYI Roman swords are on sale at Albion.

Guncotton
AKA Bors

We have swords, knives and axes all over the house (we collect them and use them in WMA training) and although I would feel comfortable having one in my hand as a defensive weapon, I'm MUCH more comfortable with a handgun.

As I have said many, many times, not everyone has a firearm available. Some cannot because the laws do not allow it and some choose not to have one available for whatever reasons so we should not jump up and down on them so hard over that issue. Once said should suffice.

"Never bring a knife, no matter how large, to a gunfight."

Respectfully, I'd say one's mileage may vary on that one.

Run a test with a shinai and a red gun. I'd be willing to bet you don't do as badly as you expect.

Just to throw a kink into this discussion.....
While I would only grab a sword (3) or a knife (6 Bowies, fixed blades or daggers) because they are stashed about in strategic places, I also have a 6 foot spear with a 12" blade on the business end.
For a non-firearm armed intruder in a narrow place it makes for a helluva hard time getting past the point even in the hands of my 13 year old daughter. I've tried it. It can be parried with, thrust and withdrawn quickly, keeps the attacker at a distance and cannot be turned around easily if taken away.
I might even throw it as a distractor while I get all Modern on 'em and pump 'em full of lead.....

No one wants to be the idiot who brought a knife to a gun fight. The weapon of choice is a gun; the alternative is multiple concealed knives. If the bad guy has a gun aimed in your direction you do not want to be standing their fiddling with a knife or sword.

If I did have to use one then the ideal candidate would be relatively short, pointy and double edged.

623166SiegleWelshswordsm.jpg

Something like this rendition of the well known Welsh sword from WWI.

n2s

I agree across the board with Merek.

I think a spear is a vastly underrated weapon. And remember, the sword (and most polearms) survived longer than many types of swords because of the spear's effectiveness against them.

I'll let the argument go for another time, but basically the spear is ideal in a narrow area because it doesn't require a lot of room to thrust.

Crouching down into a knee-up kneel, you can hold the spear comfortably below the line of obvious sight of an intruder. When he comes around the corner or through a doorway, pop, there's a thrust into the throat. Works very well in test conditions, particularly in low light (the thrust works at close range without needing to see the actual target--keep forward motion until he hits the tip of the sword).

Easily chucked under a bed for safe storage, and quick to retrieve.

Best is difficult to quantify.

Love the spear idea. IMO the thrust is superior to the cut - especially in hallways.

I like the Gladius idea too. Especially if coupled with a shield - even a makeshift one (backpack, chair, sack of rice - whatever is handy)...

people and people's indoors vary some of have an open floor plan while others live in tight flats, comfort with weapons also vary a weapon that fits you and your home is what is best, not any weapon in particular.

James Green Dragon said:
Best is difficult to quantify.

Love the spear idea. IMO the thrust is superior to the cut - especially in hallways.

I like the Gladius idea too. Especially if coupled with a shield - even a makeshift one (backpack, chair, sack of rice - whatever is handy)...

If your going to use a shield you might as well make a proper one. Get some lexguard and make a full size scutum that way it will be resistant to to bullets.;)

Guncotton
AKA Bors

Cornelis Böhms said:
Best indoor sword is the wakizashi.

Because it's Japanese, THAT makes it best?????

I stand by the cutlass over ANY wakizashi as more versitile, better protected and easier to use

Lion of Narnia said:
Because it's Japanese, THAT makes it best?????

I stand by the cutlass over ANY wakizashi as more versitile, better protected and easier to use

Dont jump to conclusions, Cutlass Pirat.

My,my,my. All this talk of whats best. I grew up in Chicago and had the chance to live in some seedy areas in my life. I am 54 years old and never sheltered myself. Only once have I ever needed a weapon in my home and it was not used to defend myself. It was a 22 rifle that was used to shoot a rapist in the arse that I caught raping a teen girl in my hallway outside my apartment.

Have you ever awakened in the middle of the night and stumbled to the bathroom to pee? Do you really think you will be effective in those opening moments after arousal from sleep to be effective in wielding a sword and a shield?

A good dog will wake you and buy you enough time to get your senses to use whatever you decide is best.

If you need something after the intruder confronts your dog and your presence........I vote for a good revolver with subsonic ammo of a frangible or safety slug design.

Back