Swords for Home Defense

W.T. Beck said:
Based on the criteria that has been discussed, I would say that the Kris Cutlery Baselard is an ideal home defense sword. It is not too long (the blade is 19 inches, I believe), and it is capable of thrusting and cutting with both edges, needed attributes in confined spaces. The sword is also well-made, strong, and not overly heavy.

As long as we're talking about Kris Cutlery.....what about their butterfly swords?? http://www.kriscutlery.com/Kris/chinese/butterfly.html

Blades not quite 16" long. Strong (3/16th at the base of the blade), relatively light and quick........ and this version is slim enough at the tip to be a good thruster (unlike other butterfly swords that appear to be made primarily for hacking and slashing). I can't imagine an intruder in my home, that didn't have a gun, getting very far if I had one of these in my hand......let alone, two. Even if he has a gun......if he hesitates.....he might be in big trouble in little China. <g> :p :eek: :D :D

FullerH said:
Little Claw, with all of this talk of Bali-songs, I hope that you're living in an area where they may be legally owned amd used.

Of course not! :rolleyes:

They may be legally owned here (UK), but have to stay in the home. Not sure whether using it for home defence would be treated any differently than if I used an equivalent non bali (eg. AFCK) but the first line of defence is the baton and inova. The bali is reserved for when my flatmates try to climb in my window when they forget their keys "click-click-click" in the darkness is usually enough to make them announce themselves. :p

and you are thinking you will encounter an intruder armed with a gun, consider equipping yourself with a sword AND shield. Shield, as in ballistic riot shield. Keeps the bullets off ye while you're trying to press in close.

They can be found fer 80-300 USD on the internet. Considered one meself!

Keith

Gentlemen,

I've read this thread with great interest, having had a long love affair with things pointy and sharp. However unless you are going to put the intruders into the garden with the rest of the night soil, be advised that you will have to defend yourself twice...

Unfortunately, the method you use for defending yourself is almost as important as the justification for lethal force in this country. Cutting someone in two (or more) pieces with a sword will be a hard sell to the police, compared to using a 45. Most people seem to be afraid of even small knives these days; to use a large piece of steel designed to do so (as opposed to a large kitchen knife) could be a problem.

I realize that firearms are not an option for many people; a baseball bat or bokken may be your best bet, along with a high intensity flashlight and a lot of attitude :D

Personally, I use a Colt! -backed up with a British Army Kukri- for my home defense. Also remember, whatever you use may not EVER be returned to you even if you are never charged- so don't use a family heirloom unless you have to-

Just a few more things to think about-

Steve

I get mad as hell every time I think about this. It is one of the greatest miscarriages of justice currently occuring in this country, that people who act in legitimate self-defense are then attacked on their choice of weapons. If you have a right to defend yourself from criminal attack, it should not matter what kind of weapon you use.

I think criminal charges should be brought against prosecutors and lawyers who try to turn the tables on someone who legitimately defends themselves. Perhaps there should be some civilian equivalent to war crimes trials, to hold these people accountable.

I keep an HI 25" (overall) Chainpuri kukri next to the bed. If I sleep with the windows open, I will keep a fighting Bowie on the nightstand as well, since I'm on the first floor.
I do keep a shotgun, but because my place was broken into (and an entire small gun safe unbolted and removed!!) I keep it in a locked case behind a bunch of crap. In apartments with thin walls, I don't consider it suitable for defense anyway.
Swords, personally are too large for house fighting. A kukri is big enough to be threatening and capable of serious damage in a single blow, yet is maneuverable. A wakizashi (the Wally Hayes Tsunami comes to mind) would serve well.
The thing about the kukri is, you don't have to unsheath it :)

Due to overpenetration in an apartment living situation, the option to use a firearm carries a lot of "legal" potentials... So I do think a blade has a place in home defence, regardless of the legal issues if used - I know, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six... So, I've a Criswell waki ready to grab... right next to a 3' lahti... I figure I can swing either through a doorway, down a narrow hallway and if I have to - heave the lahti at the POS and slash as he ducks...

Okay... so far, we're only talkin' "what-ifs"...

Otherwise, I'd use my 20 ga or the Glock... whichever I get to first and over penetration be danged!!! :eek:
:D

W.T. Beck said:
Hi Joeshredd,

What is a lahti? Is it a type of spear?

It's a length of rattan (ususally about 4 feet long) used by police in India, et al, for crowd control and such. Better than a baton.

Mr. Beck,
Sorry, it's a rattan 'bo' that used to be available from the Cold Steel catalog - I got two in 3' sectoins for stick practice and a 6' one for a hiking staff... The stuff is about an inch and a half in diameter and rattan is maybe sturdier than actual bamboo... The police in India and Hong Kong I believe were really into them as opposed to firearms...

I would think that an expandable baton would be more practical in this instance, rather than a sword.

I really don't know how I feel about the idea of swords for home defense, given especially the legal implications.

However, that being said, I would have to say that I would personally feel most comfortable using something like a gladius, or a Filipino sword like a bolo or talibong--I especially like the forward-set blade of the talibong, which facilitates both powerful cuts and in-line ("within compass") thrusts. Atlanta Cutlery used to offer a kit to make a very talibong-like short sword/long knife--perhaps they still do. Does anyone know of any other major manufacturers who make examples of this sword?

The Iberian falcata and related types are good too, and have a similar quality to the talibong, due to the forward sweep of the blade. Years ago, I handled an example of the falcata made by Del Tin, and it felt solid, light, and responsive--all at once. A nice piece.

The naval cutlass would be another good option (though in the upper length range), but I'm not too crazy about the overall heft or balance of the CS 1917 model.

Basically, any short sword that is equally lethal with both point and edge would be most useful, IMO.

W.T. Beck said:
If you have a right to defend yourself from criminal attack, it should not matter what kind of weapon you use.

Darn :(.., I guess these restrictive laws rule out c4 also... :rolleyes:

I'd better get that stuff off the door jams....

I also think its sad we have to pay so much attention to the potential legal ramifications of the tools we might use to defend ourselves that said I can't think of anything a sword can do in a home defense role that a large ASP baton couldn't do as well and with less of a freak out factor when you go before the Jury. If you like swords and haven't had a chance to play with the large collapsible ASP baton(I forget the exact length) go find one to play with. Do some sword forms with it. IMhumbleO its friggin awesome. Its sorta like combining a really nice4 wakizashi with a really nice metal pipe and yeah for some reason this appeals to me.
If one were to use a sword for home defense my blackwind khyber would brobably work as well as most. Very pointy, sharp enough and cost me about twenty bucks so I won't mind (quite as much) when it doesn't find its way back from the evidence locker.
One more quick point to throw in, all of this talk brings to mind images of the homeowner creeping thru there home stalking the intruder with there trusty sword or stick or whatever. This is a really difficult and dangerous thing to do and unless absolutely a must (l9ke ya gotta get to a kid or something( I think just getting the hell outta harms way and calling the police is the best bet.

Sam

Sam

edgetrip said:
I can't think of anything a sword can do in a home defense role that a large ASP baton couldn't do as well and with less of a freak out factor when you go before the Jury. If you like swords and haven't had a chance to play with the large collapsible ASP baton(I forget the exact length) go find one to play with. Do some sword forms with it. IMhumbleO its friggin awesome.

no need for an asp, it offers no great advantage (in the home) over a simple stick (or bokken) but is expensive and has potential disadvantages.

Although I have an asp and a knife by my bed, the real weapon is a short stick just nearby.

What do you see as the disadvantages to an ASP? I I agree that a stick would probably do as well but the fact you can use an ASP closed or open depending on scenario, the metal construction and the general good quality of these tools makes me think they are a very good option. Personally I have a few bats tucked out of the way as well as some sticks but my primary home securty is a German Shepard. Certainly more of a deterent then a weapon but there is that old saying about an ounce of prevention. Anyway what are the problems with the ASP?

Sam

edgetrip said:
What do you see as the disadvantages to an ASP? I I agree that a stick would probably do as well but the fact you can use an ASP closed or open depending on scenario, the metal construction and the general good quality of these tools makes me think they are a very good option.

Welcome to Bladeforums, btw... :)

You ask a fair question and the ASP is a useful, practical weapon for many people. I'd take an ASP over a knife for defence any day, but in the home, a stick is more practical and just as effective, perhaps more so. For the sake of argument, when I say stick I'm thinking of a baton from about 24-26", although the range could be from about 18-30"

An ASP's main weaknesses stem from one fact that you have to open them, this means that:

1. You have to perform an additional step before being fully armed.

2. You need space to deploy it properly, not always a problem, but more likely with a sword sized one (31")

3. It’s noisy, you may want to arm fully without giving away your position

4. There's a possibility that it won't lock out properly, this could be due to poor technique or something interfering with your motion, possibly your attacker or even your own hesitation. This doesn't entirely take away its effectiveness, but until you get it opened properly its now unpredictable and unreliable, particularly from a defensive standpoint. Sometimes they seem to lock out but loosen after a few swings. Sometimes they lock out so well you have to strike the side of the tip to align the sections before you can close it (a couple of block or misses that hit something else could have the same effect.)

5. There's a possibility that it could unlock due to a thrust - most likely if 4. has happened

6. It doesn't offer a great deal of versatility in grip, you pretty much have the options of one or two handed grip at one end, or a 'bar' grip (hands at either end). With a stick there's no disadvantage in swapping ends for quick redirects (like having a double ended weapon) or holding it in the middle, like having two shorter weapons in one hand.

The only advantages over a stick I can think of are:

1. retention is better than with a normal stick in a conventional grip - decent retention techniques for a normal stick will balance this out, though.
2. ease of carry and concealment. very important benefit of an ASP, justifies a price 10x that of a simple stick and is the only reason to select one over a decent stick, however not an advantage in a home defence situation.
3. the higher density of steel give a thinner weapon with similar weight to a hardwood stick = concentration of force. for me this isn't an advantage anyway, due to the way that I put power into the strike, however an octagonal or oval stick (like a sledge or tomahawk handle) gives the stick user back this feature.

-I don't consider the materials to be an advantage over a decent piece of wood. QC can be an issue for wooden weapons but a decent hickory sledgehammer handle cut to length will cost about $10 and could easily last longer than an ASP
-IMHO the fact that you can use it closed is not an advantage but a way of offsetting the fact that you might not be able to open it in time. This is a salesman's way of removing an objection ("what if I don't have time to open it?"). Ask anyone whether they'd rather have a pocket stick or a baton in their hand when the SHTF and I'd be surprised if anyone said pocket stick (I know someone out there's thinking "don't bring a stick to a gunfight" :) ). What's more, a fight is more likely to go from long range to short range (then sometimes back to long) so the fact that you can’t close the ASP mid fight takes away the only manner in which this could be an advantage. If the fight starts at close range, then you've been ambushed, stupid or both. In this situation a pocket stick is more manoeuvrable, but not more effective. A two handed grip on a stick or extended ASP will allow you to deliver much more power than a collapsed ASP at ECQ, and these techniques are easier to deliver with a stick due to the grip characteristics of the tip section of an ASP. Anyone who has worked with sticks for a decent amount of time will have discovered that they can still be used at close quarters in a conventional grip and if you choke up to a middle grip you effectively have two short weapons in one hand. Pick up two sticks and you're ready to party.

None of these disadvantages make the ASP an ineffective weapon and they certainly don't outweigh the advantages in terms of carry, but why would you accept any small percentage of a disadvantage, when you can have the whole package at 1/10th the price?

Back