Sydney Knife Show - Spectacular Knives from 'ɹǝpu∩ uʍoᗡ'

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What. A. Privilege.

Somewhere back in April I was approached by the Australian 'Knife Art Association' (who runs a few shows a year, including the BIGGEST one in Sydney) to join them as a photographer. The Show happens in the middle of their Winter at the beginning of August.

The burgeoning Australian makers are as skilled as any I've met, and yet insular in their land. The KAA wanted me to help them Show the World their talent!

Specifically the KAA principals: Corin Urquhart, Keith Fludder, Andrew Smith, Mert Tansu, and Kevin Slattery were on board with the invite. Would I travel? They would facilitate reimbursement for my airfare.

Well, yes. However....

I remarked I'd LOVE to go, yet I could NOT come back and say to my wife Susan "Oh, you should have been there...." :eek:

Nor could the two of us go and then tell my 16-yr-old son Trevor the same thing. :(

We worked it out. (They worked it out!) Bring them all. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fast forward and we have returned from an AMAZING SHOW, an AMAZING journey into the land of OZ, and an AMAZING show of hospitality from the people of the Australian Knife Community.

I will limit this thread to the Show and the knives. I will link to an interview, a podcast and my travel photos in another. Stay posted! :)

The Show hall was HUGE! (and well lit with windows). It was held at a local horse race track, and in the banquet hall. Very modern and clean facility.

This was late Saturday afternoon. The crown had thinned from madness earlier, but STILL vibrant.
xlarge.jpg

Opposite view
xlarge.jpg

Wait? Corin Urquhart's 'Gameco' Knifemaking outfitting truck INSIDE the facility?
xlarge.jpg

Well, look at that. It unfolds to become a walk-on store and display area. They will set up in the parking lot of a Show if it won't fit inside!
xlarge.jpg

I was asked to be a part of the judging for the 11 Knife Award categories. My first time as a judge, and it was fun, educating, humbling, and important. There were 7 of us inspecting and deciding.

We would each take time silently to inspect each of the knives in a category (usually around 6-7 knives), and on the count we would ALL point to our chosen pick. If it was four or more pointing at the same knife, the majority winner was decided. if there were less, we would start the conversation and discuss why it was our choice. I learned nicely from these informative and spirited discussions.

Here are our choices. ALL of them deserving:

Best Folder: Bruce Barnett, JS
orig.jpg

Best Art Knife: Wayne Barrett
orig.jpg

Best Forged Blade: Adam Fromholtz
orig.jpg

Best Damascus / Best in Show: Shawn McIntyre, MS
orig.jpg

His 'Hurricane' pattern steel!
orig.jpg

Best Hunter: Shawn McIntyre, MS
orig.jpg

Best Utility Knife: Shawn McIntyre, MS
orig.jpg

Best Production Knife: Spyderco 'Alistair Phillips Designed' toplock
orig.jpg

(This is HIS custom which did not win the above award, yet it was the inspiration)
orig.jpg

Best Chef's Knife: Dmitriy Popov
orig.jpg

Best Damasteel Knife: Dimitry Popov
orig.jpg

Best New Maker: Antony Richards
orig.jpg

Next up: A BUNCH of maker's who you may not have heard of. Boy, I was impressed!

Wayne Barrett was EVERYONE'S idol in Sydney. He's about 80 yrs old, ex-machinist, and his knifemaking gives him hope and pleasure in his lonely retirement. The two principals of KAA purchased these themselves and asked me to do a group shot. Corin Urquhart is a BIG fan of 'barrel' knives, and so this was especially dear. The pictures tell the story of it's construction.
orig.jpg

THIS one I wanted SO badly. Wayne called it his 'turbo'.
orig.jpg

Dominic Blinkert
orig.jpg

Andrew Blomfield
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tobias Bockholt
orig.jpg

I did some product shots for 'Creative Man' engineer and production Bjorn Jacobsen

Filing jig
orig.jpg

Adjustable bevel grinding fixture with the jig included.
orig.jpg

Stuart Kerr (he BLEW UP my Instagram when I posted this razor. More likes (over 5000!) than anything this year.)
orig.jpg

Tim Kingsford
orig.jpg

Christian Mathieson
orig.jpg

Pierre Mefflin
orig.jpg

Back