synthetic sarki strikes again!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Check it out:

attachment.php

Whatcha think?

Finished these up earlier this week...but I was, um, a little too distracted to take pics until today. :D

Attachments

• Sheaths102.jpg
    Sheaths102.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 437
Very nice Dan.

I would be interested in getting something like this done for a kuk or two. Except I think I would go for one without the spot for the chakma and karda.

Dan,
That is a nice looking rig...I have thought about doing one myself (for the site) but I just cant get it in my head to include the chakma in the sheath...:)

Good work bro!!

Sweet. I personally love the Chakma and Karda at the bottom. I did that on my dads sheath in leather, but it really looks better here. Kydex is cool for large knives. Your WSK I bought at Blade Show is a perfect example.

Great work.

Damn nice work Dan:thumbup:

I think that would be very functional for taking a khuk out and using it for work. I tend to "work around" the traditional sheaths for the most part. Especially when bending down to pick something up while wearing an 18" plus length khuk.(with chape still attached that is;) ) I like the break away idea...

I assume you can draw these one handed off the belt?

I do have to admit that the top one is mine and that the bottom one is going to my dear friend James in Iraq. I will be certain to write up a blazing review once it makes it's way to my house and I have a chance to work it up a bit. Thanks Dan for a LOVELY sheath to go with the knife I hold so dear.

Jack

Looks great, how is it for shake/drop resistance? Hard to tell by looking, but I'd want a snap strap or other secondary means of securing that in the sheath.

I must admit that the top one is for me (with my Suripati in it) and the bottom one is for my bud James who is in Iraq. I will be certain to write up a review as soon as it gets here and I have a chance to work with is a bit. Also, James has assured me that he will send pics and a review of his when it finally gets to his APO address over there. Many thanks and blessings to Sarge and Dan for their generosity towards our fellow soldiers over in Iraq. You guys should feel proud of your support, I know I do!!

Thanks again,
Jack

Oops, double posted, sorry about that

VERY nice work, Dan. Any chance of a pic of the backs to show how the fastener is attached?
Even better would be one of your tutorials -- yours are among the best on any of the forums.

Nice work as always Dan!:thumbup: :cool: :D
Do the snap, screw on, belt loops come in just the one small size or do they come in larger sizes?
I'm of the mind it would be better to have something you could put on one of the old webbing belts.

Man, that might just be the best military khuk sheath I've ever seen! Very slick, Dan.

Keep up the awesome work!

Chris

pic as requested:

attachment.php

And, because sometimes it's easier done than said...

Shake test

http://www.kosterknives.com/vid101.wmv

http://www.kosterknives.com/vid102.wmv

I told Jack that these would not be "Jump Certified" and they're not. But I'll be danged if you can shake either of these out of their sheaths - no strap needed. They are secure. Yet because of the quick-draw, they are not hard to draw.

I know it's hard for people to wrap their heads around it...kinda like cutting bread with a non-serrated knife. But the kydex quickdraw is the best sheath for a khukuri, hands down. I only make it on request, though, because I'm not in the business of trying to talk folks into something they don't want.

Look at the back of the sheath and you'll start to understand why it's so good. The rivets are all real close to the blade. They will hold that blade in there tight. Then look at the top pic - at the spine. You'll see that the kydex just slightly overlaps the spine...just enough room to get the blade in...and just enough to "hold" the spine in place. It's all about leverage. Hard to explain - easier to understand in person.

I'm not posting this to pick up more business...I got plenty on my plate already. One of these is a freebie going to a soldier, the other to his buddy above. I just wanted you guys to see that kydex is a viable sheath for a kukri - and is something probably most of you could do yourselves. All you need is a way to set the rivets or use screws instead...and the rest is not that hard.

Anyway...I'll get around to making a tutorial for it someday. Trying to spend my time near the crib today....and I'm not talking about MTV "Cribs". :D :p

Attachments

• Sheaths103.jpg
    Sheaths103.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 354
Do the snap, screw on, belt loops come in just the one small size or do they come in larger sizes?
I'm of the mind it would be better to have something you could put on one of the old webbing belts.

The TekLoks come in two sizes - what you see is the larger size, which comfortably fits a 2" belt (police belt).

you forgot to add... how much how much how much!!! :D
after seeing those videos of shaking... IVE GOT TO HAVE ONE!!! maybe even a few :thumbup: keep up the good work dan.

Dan, nice work!

I am more attracted to leather myself, but Kydex sure has it's advantages in some enviroments. I'm interested in how the Tek-Loks work with such large and heavy blades - I dont like em much, they always seem to pinch somewhere :eek:

Dan, look for a box with about 25 khukuris in it headed your way for copies of these sheaths!

Seriously, this is really cool, and another project on my list for you. I actually have 3 more "Dan" knife projects sitting here for you after I get the current one paid off.

Great work, and thanks for sharing.

Norm

Back