Tactical Pens!

Tactical Parker Stainless Jotter

PARKER_JOTTER_PREMIUM_SHINY_STAINLESS_STEEL_CHISELLED_BP_640__53972_zoom.jpg

I'm gonna have to take another look at some of these suggestions. Ideally I'd like a reasonably lightweight pen that doesn't look tactical, doesn't cost a lot ($30ish) and has either the ability to use Fisher Space Pen refills or another easily obtained refills. I've got a couple Space Pens that I like mainly for their small size. Something a little bit bigger might come in handy.

I would Highly Recommend the Hinderer Extreme Duty Pen as well. I have a Hinderer investigator pen as well, but it is extremely small and I have larger hands and its uncomfortable writing for a length of time. The Extreme Duty is very comfortable to write with. Is a very usable tactical pen. I have one in Black Aluminum. New, they are $80 and accept the Fisher Space Pen cartridge that will write through anything. It also comes in several different colors. I had a Hinderer Titanium pen, the old original version, but was afraid of losing the $300 pen, so I sold it. Personally, there is not much difference between the Aluminum and the Titanium. I have carried the aluminum extreme duty on my work lanyard for 2 years and love it.

Just got my Kley Zion Stinger yesterday and used it at work last night. Nice pen, great balance, the clip is a bit brutal (big, oversized in my opinion, and very stiff), but I just slipped it into my shirt pen pocket slot, and the length and flared end let it rest very nicely in the pen pocket. Doesn't scream "TACTICAL PEN" like this. I LOVE the screw on cap feature. For the price I paid (Google-Fu my friends), and free shipping, I am sure I will buy more of Kley Zion pens.

I have the Benchmade 1101-1, which comes with blue ink and a carbide tip. I bought it because I thought it was a cool concept, but I rarely touch it because it's too heavy. I use Uni-Ball pens at work every day, which I find more practical.

The stainless Parker is a lovely pen and I have one. The only problem I have with it is that it is very slick and tiring to write with, much like the bullet pens. The 701I had was very grippy and easy to use, but the clicker on mine self-destructed after a couple of years. For the last few years I've been using a Fisher 'Military' clicky. All metal, flat black and easy to grip with out getting hand cramps during extended use. I'm still on the lookout for a super tough clicky.

No offense, but the Zebras and Parkers are pretty weakly built. The steel used are paper thin. Just open if up and see for yourself.
I've owned a couple of Hinderer's, and those are very well made. Problem is, the Extreme Duty version is a bit large for writing while the Investigator is a bit small.
I have a Titanium version of the Boker bolt action pen coming. I always wanted the original, custom version, but I didn't want to cough up $500 for it. The production is about $80.
I also just received a polymer tactical pen made by ProMag Archangel. It is very cool pen, and it is not too light or too heavy. And you don't have to worry about the color scuffing off like on many tactical pens that are anodized. Very satisfied with it at $20 shipped. Great tactical pen or second tactical pen. Brining mine to my vacation to the Philippi SS where it might end up getting lost.

As mentioned in an earlier post I EDC two pens, for writing a Zebra 701 S.S. fine point (the body is not solid stainless s.) at only $5.99 it's inexpensive
to replace when eventually they get lost.
For a so called 'Tactical' pen, I've carried for the last several years a Kley Zion (KZ) Stinger, inexpensive at under $20.00, underrated and possibly the best kept secret
in the 'Tac. pen scene, a FULL 6¼ inches long, not heavy, fat, over built, overly tooled, attention getting rainbow Titanium, red, blue green, striped or polka dot.
It's relatively thin, light and has a design which I prefer... the end cap is a flat mushroom shape which gives me superb thumb purchase allowing for greater powerful striking.
I have one in subdued matte black and one in subdued gun metal gray.

Recently while surfing around I came across a Tac. pen by Japanese designer/photographer Ichiro Nagata called the Kunai Tactical Pen.
It's made by Tuff-Products.
I immediately liked the design as I like these type of flat cap ends, but at $299.99 the price for me is completely prohibitive.

But I did discover a 'Tac.' pen made by 5.11 ('5.11 Tactical Black Double Duty 1.5 Tactical Pen') which has a flat end cap, a body with a nice slight palm swell and comes in two finishes: a subdued matte black and a glossy black.
It's 5½ inches long (I'd prefer another ½ inch).
While the MSRP is out of my usual range, I found one for $45.00, purchased one in matte black.
Will let you know how it is after it's received.

511_1_zps54a184e6.jpg

511_2_zps9d6e1423.jpg

As mentioned in an earlier post I EDC two pens, for writing a Zebra 701 S.S. fine point (the body is not solid stainless s.) at only $5.99 it's inexpensive
For a so called 'Tactical' pen, I've carried for the last several years a Kley Zion (KZ) Stinger, inexpensive at under $20.00, underrated and possibly the best kept secret
in the 'Tac. pen scene, a FULL 6¼ inches long, not heavy, fat, over built, overly tooled, attention getting rainbow Titanium, red, blue green, striped or polka dot.
It's relatively thin, light and has a design which I prefer... the end cap is a flat mushroom shape which gives me superb thumb purchase allowing for greater powerful striking.

Recently while surfing around I came across a Tac. pen by Japanese designer/photographer Ichiro Nagata called the Kunai Tactical Pen.
I immediately liked the design as I like these type of flat cap ends, but at $299.99 the price for me is completely prohibitive.

But I did discover a 'Tac.' pen made by 5.11 ('5.11 Tactical Black Double Duty 1.5 Tactical Pen') which has a flat end cap, a body with a nice slight palm swell and comes in two finishes: a subdued matte black and a glossy black.
While the MSRP is out of my usual range, I found one for $45.00, purchased one in matte black.

511_1_zps54a184e6.jpg

511_2_zps9d6e1423.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the KZ. Really liking that one and the price is right!

Jason over at DarkSucks (Prometheus Lights) is going to be producing some pens in the near future... They Use Montblanc refills supposedly. Keep an Eye, They look nice!

For people who are truly into the "writing experience" as much they're into having an elegantly crafted, extremely overbuilt writing instrument, Jason's Alpha Ti Premium 3-piece Executive pen may be right up your alley. As was mentioned, the pen is completely designed around the various Montblanc ball point and rollerball type refills. I've not used one of these refills yet personally, but Jason is adamant about their quality and performance. He just wrapped up a very successful campaign on
Kickstarter to raise funds for some CNC machinery and should be going into production soon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darksucks/prometheus-writes-a-premium-3-piece-executive-pen

There will also be a less expensive aluminum model and even though the Kickstarter campaign is fully funded, you can still get on a preorder list through Jason's website.

http://darksucks.com/kickstarter/?page_id=14

Last edited:
xICEMANx, what I like visually about the 5.11 'Double Duty 1.5' is it's 'subdued', I don't want to attract attention by having a highly polished or 'colored' pen and if by chance it gets lost, I'm not out of 60-80-160 or more dollars.
Other than the knurling at the separation section of the body, there are no lines or tooling marks or concentric rings running all over the body of the pen.
I should get it on Wed. this week, will post some pictures of it alone in my palm and together next to my KZ Stinger.

511_1_zps54a184e6.jpg

511_2_zps9d6e1423.jpg

I was actually considering buying that one a couple of months ago. I couldn't find one single thread or in depth review on it so I just couldn't bring myself to spending all that money on it before I knew if it was a good pen or not.

I look forward to your thoughts on it when you receive it. Please do an in depth review if you can!

Received it last week.
Quick review/impression:

Paid $45.00 USD.
Model: the 5.11 Tactical "Black Double Duty 1.5" Tactical Pen in the matte black finish, much nicer and more 'subdued' finish then the less expensive 5.11 'glossy' finish 1.0 model.
Great moderate palm swell design of the body of the pen and the 'flat' cap end allowing for a very firm/secure grip.
The cap end has a 'flat' thumb platform design covered in a textured TPR (Thermo Plastic Rubber) for superb thumb purchase, allowing for a more power backed and forceful application towards a potential aggressor.
Excellent steel perfectly sized clip.
All threads are superbly and cleanly threaded yielding a completely water tight O-ringed seal.
The defensive stylus tip has a very nice point with four (4) scalloped cutouts tooled into the tip, all four edges of the scallops have rather aggressive edges sort of like a tac. flashlight bezel, but will not cut your clothes.

I did have to change the default Parker style ink cartridge, as when I tried to write at a horizontal angle (on a note pad against a wall), the ink stopped flowing.... I simply replaced it with a Fisher S.P. refill and it now writes at any angle, in any temperature and through any liquid (as you know).

The only thing I would change regarding it's design is its length as it is 5½ inches long, I'd prefer another ¼ inch or make it a full 6¼ inches as is my KZ (Kley Zion) Stinger which gives that extra bit of distance between the operator and potential aggressor.
Overall, I'm satisfied with the quality of the 5.11 Tactical "Black Double Duty 1.5" Tactical Pen and at $45.00... no complaints.

photos:

DSCN1291_zps408d53cd.jpg

DSCN1301_zpsed15c67c.jpg

DSCN1304_zps8f0083c9.jpg

DSCN1305_zpsf3ca57f7.jpg

DSCN1307_zps24f8e5ad.jpg

DSCN1294_zps85bff30a.jpg

DSCN1295_zps83f73253.jpg

DSCN1300_zps64a6dfdd.jpg

DSCN1297_zps5e44f97f.jpg

DSCN1296_zps31c3b49d.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a Kley-Zion pen other than Botach??

Botach sells them for $19.99 on their site... but they also sell the same exact pen on Dweebay for $14.99 free shipping no tax.
You won't find them less than that.
There is however the same exact pen sold somewhere online, I don't recall where I saw it, but it's the same exact pen as the KZ Stinger it just has a different logo.

Last edited:
Botach sells them for $19.99 on their site... but they also sell the same exact pen on Dweebay for $14.99 free shipping no tax.
There is however the same exact pen sold somewhere online, I don't recall where I saw it, but it's the same exact pen as the KZ Stinger it just has a different logo.

See my recent post on GB&U for my experience w/ Botach. Anyone else w/ one for sale??

I'm gonna have to take another look at some of these suggestions. Ideally I'd like a reasonably lightweight pen that doesn't look tactical, doesn't cost a lot ($30ish) and has either the ability to use Fisher Space Pen refills or another easily obtained refills. I've got a couple Space Pens that I like mainly for their small size. Something a little bit bigger might come in handy.

Why don't you check CRKT tactical pen made by James Williams.It is one of the lightest pens weighing around 1.2 ounces an it is at a decent price($40) on amazon.It also looks pretty good in my opinion.

Although the most popular tactical pen based on what i have seen by reading online is the gerber impromptu tactical pen which has pretty decent reviews.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone wants a comprehensive,combined guide on tactical pens that you can check it out at Tactical Pens Guide.

Last edited:

Dealing with Botach is a disaster in the making. Kley-Zion is a subdivision of Botach.

Back