"Tactical" Sword Belt

That is absolutely ridiculous. The first time you have to bend over it's going to flop around to your front. The original "tactical sword belt" is the Sam Browne, and is--in my opinion--still the best basis for sword belt design. Distributes weight easily, prevents rotation on the torso, and also happens to look pretty snappy.

^^^^^I see your point. To bad there isn't a modern version of the Sam Browne belt. I think the idea is interesting but it might not be so good in practice.

^^^^^I see your point. To bad there isn't a modern version of the Sam Browne belt. I think the idea is interesting but it might not be so good in practice.

I have one as a back-burner project. The concept is all done out but prototyping and producing it are the big hurdles and I have bigger fish at the moment. Keep your eyes peeled, though. It's pretty slick. :)

My rig for my SHTF blade is called the Assassins Baldric.

It holds my blade 100% secure with zero movement. It is also quite comfortable

1210.jpg

1210-2.jpg

Very nice, and it operates on a similar principle to a Sam Browne to immobilize the sword, but can you carry it in a position where the sword can actually be drawn?

On a related note, I recently discovered a way to use a single length of paracord to carry a knife under the arm using two lashing points on the sheath, and the finished result bears a strong layout resemblance to that baldric of yours, only with the knife carried under the left arm.

with my Tactical Waki, i can very easily and quickly draw my blade. Getting it back in requires some focus, but for the uses i have in mind, returning it to the saya is not an important issue.

i've put it on my full sized katana, and it certainly can be drawn, though not as fast as with the waki.

it's optimal for a 20" blade, and a 20" blade is optimal for the SHTF uses that i expect/plan to use it for.

with my Tactical Waki, i can very easily and quickly draw my blade. Getting it back in requires some focus, but for the uses i have in mind, returning it to the saya is not an important issue.

i've put it on my full sized katana, and it certainly can be drawn, though not as fast as with the waki.

it's optimal for a 20" blade, and a 20" blade is optimal for the SHTF uses that i expect/plan to use it for.

:):thumbup:

IMHO, unless you're looking a full on zombie apocalypse in the eye, a katana is not the best bug out blade

they're too long for CQB situations, and too heavy for the lightning response to unexpected danger that you might face

A 16-20" Waki is much better suited to use against human opponents (unless you can get them to agree to a duel) , and is much less cumbersome to carry in most any situation.

Of course, i also plan to have a nice 12" chopping blade with me for utility purposes, so between the two, i think my sharp thing needs will be well met

Agreed. Though my Condor Bush Cutlass carries very nicely, and it has a 24" blade that I can rapidly deploy. :D

On a related note, I recently discovered a way to use a single length of paracord to carry a knife under the arm using two lashing points on the sheath, and the finished result bears a strong layout resemblance to that baldric of yours, only with the knife carried under the left arm.

This is how I like to carry. Allows me to wear a coat or pack on my back.

BePrepared: While I don't see your rig as being that practical, at least not for me and my uses, it is certainly beautifully made. Do you have a close-up of the front buckles and three-way-strap-splitter-thingie?

FortyTwoBlade: That paracord solution sounds quite interesting. Would you care to share it here, and/or provide a link?

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding the original post: I agree with FortyTwoBlades. This thing looks like it would move around a lot. I sometimes use a single-point sling for a rifle when I need my hands free, but I would not like to try and run with it hanging there. It all depends on your planned use I guess, but I would definitely go with a solution more similar to the Sam Browne.

The rest of the shots of the paracord rig since I can only attach 5 per post:

Photo on 2012-04-18 at 18.41 #2.jpgPhoto on 2012-04-18 at 18.42.jpgPhoto on 2012-04-18 at 18.42 #2.jpg

In terms of a Sam Browne-type setup this is what I use for my machetes:

CIMG8897.jpg

Pardon the scowl--the sun was in my eyes at the time! :p

Also, a two-point paracord sling in action:

CIMG0494.jpg

CIMG0495.jpg

CIMG0477.jpg

CIMG0474.jpg

@fourtytwoblades pretty damn cool. I would love to get something like that for my tactical katana. For now I just tie the ok sheath to my hip with the paracord when practicing.

I've got a comprehensive design for a machete/sword/big knife/carrying heavy stuff in general cross-belt that I'm potentially collaborating on, but we'll see if it goes anywhere. It would be a pretty slick rig if it makes it off paper and into the real world.

No associated. Bought it from them at RenFest... they're great. Their baldric didn't fit my sword properly, so they custom fit it for me and it's AWESOME

Cool idea, but probably a little too much room for the sheath to swing when you draw, also kinda high up on the body, for my taste anyway.

Back