"Tactical" Sword Belt

I would want the sheath to swing a bit on an over-the-shoulder draw. If it's any kind of a long blade, it's much harder to get out if the sheath can't move. Looks pretty secure, although the one question I have is how easy it is to get at the hilt. On baldrics with the hilt off to the side, I've noticed I have a tougher time reaching the hilt than ones with the hilt directly behind the head.

believe it or not, it is actually optimal for a fast draw as long as the blade isn't too long...

it's also very comfortable to carry with a backpack on over it. I can easily see it being perfect for an SHTF situation

How sad is it that everyone who commented on that vid is like "ZOMG DO WANT" ? (as far as I could stomach reading the comments). I'm far from being an expert in blades, but I know damn well the guy in the vid would have been better off sticking that blade in the sash of his kimono. Much more secure and not as cheesy (for lack of a better term).

How sad is it that everyone who commented on that vid is like "ZOMG DO WANT" ? (as far as I could stomach reading the comments). I'm far from being an expert in blades, but I know damn well the guy in the vid would have been better off sticking that blade in the sash of his kimono. Much more secure and not as cheesy (for lack of a better term).

Tell me about it. The folks desiring it have likely not ever tried actually carrying a sword. The reason they were worn in the ways they were is because they work, and work well. A sword is a rather long object to carry on the hip, and the various methods that evolved to meet that need were designed the way they were to address the specific problems encountered when trying to move with a sword. For instance, the two-point sling and belt hook of many cavalry troopers allowed the straps to be adjusted for the longer hang needed for comfortable carry when mounted, but the hook allowed the top suspension ring to be hung from it when on foot to prevent the sword from dragging on the ground.

Agreed. People need to realize that unorthodox methods are called such for a reason.

<thread drift>On a similar note, what is it with people and oversized weapons? I'm 5'6" and 160 lbs so I tend to default to lighter blades since they're easier for me to use. But I've seen guys the same size as or smaller than me trying to swing a claymore/warhammer/battle axe as tall as they are. It's partly amusing, but mostly terrifying the sheer lack of control they have. Then they turn around and thump their chests about how "badass" they are. It's easily one of my biggest pet peeves.</thread drift>

Heeheehee! Yeah I know what you mean. If I'm gonna' use a large weapon it's going to be a hewing spear. Plenty big, but it doesn't weigh half my body weight! :D

I'd probably use a spear of some type as well since the training I've done with staves translates pretty easily to spears and halberds. Just need to adjust for the shift in the balance and the fact the staff now has a pointy/sharp end.

At any rate there have been a wide range of methods developed over the centuries for carrying different styles of swords in different environments and circumstances. The Sudanese "kaskara," for instance, is worn horizontally under the non-dominant arm via the short loop you can see in this image. I used to have an image of a fellow actually wearing one but I can't dig it up at the moment. :eek:

2009_0418ab0002%u00255B1%5D%5B1%5D.jpg

Just saw something else I really don't like: those plastic clips. Those things just scream "point of failure" when they break and your sword is clattering on the ground. Call me old fashioned, but give me good leather and buckles any day.

Back