Tacticals Made by Us for Special OPS Forces

I just read this thread and think it is a great idea. I have already sent some through what was called Operation Enduring freedom: http://www.knifeshows.com/freedom/index.html
I also sent 1 for a prise in a turkey shoot held over there.
I am currently working on something for the adopt a sniper program: http://www.adoptasniper.org/index.html. Funds and time are not great right now, but I will try to get something together and send it when I can. Maybe I'll send something with Scott when he sends his.

Larry

I think of something a lot bigger than 13" overall. If there was a good

Possum, in the very rare instance when a soldier has to do something like take out a sentry, the accepted method is from behind and either a throat cut or more often, a choke hold to keep him quiet and occupy his hands and a reverse thrust through the heart.

The blade should not be overly long (6" to 8" max). Much longer and it gets unwieldy and with extremely long blades, you run the risk of over penetrating during the struggle (people don't die quickly from a knife wound) and cutting yourself.

A knife over there will probably be used a million times for utilitarian type stuff for every time its used as a weapon. They have guns and alot of other better options before resorting to knives. If you make a large utility/camp type knife it will serve them very well and in extreme circumstances will still be a viable weapon. I would concentrate a lot more on something that can slice,chop, dig, or pry than something dedicated to fighting. These guys are pretty much living outdoors and need tools to get through normal day to day type things on top of the fighting. Just my 2 cents.

They made several models that were considered perfect combat knives Mark. If memory serves me, one was 6" and the other 8" depending on the branch of the service.

here's the sheath I was talking about, made from web belt in black. looks like it would accomidate a 7" blade no more that 1" wide.

Whoa there, fellas. I had a feeling there was more to the initial request than met the eye.

Matt, and others, I completely agree with that philosophy. I've read a hundred posts on the general forum about blades in Iraq, and 99% of them recommend a folder or small fixed blade. I agree. OK? Lemme put some smilies in here... :) ;) :p :cool: :D

I just stepped outside and started second guessing the true purpose of these knives. However, I'd like to point out the requirements in the initial post were quite clear:

The knives, one per maker, should be made for the purpose of carrying into engagement and with the knowledge that the primary knife function and probability of function is to kill the enemy when and if necessary.

The knife I'd design for the above purpose would be very different than the one I'd design for general use. A knife that would be a dedicated offensive weapon, to me would look very different than one designed to handle mundane cutting chores. I took the request at face value, and perhaps I should have questioned it... But then again, all you guys seem to have interpreted it differently than I did, so maybe I'm just slow.

Peter-
I mean no offense by this, I'm merely gonna try to better explain my thought process, as I think you may have misunderstood me judging by your reply.

You said, "in the very rare instance when a soldier has to do something like take out a sentry, the accepted method is from behind and either a throat cut or more often, a choke hold to keep him quiet and occupy his hands and a reverse thrust through the heart. The blade should not be overly long (6" to 8" max). Much longer and it gets unwieldy and with extremely long blades, you run the risk of over penetrating during the struggle (people don't die quickly from a knife wound) and cutting yourself."

Well, I don't want to get on the topic of sentry removal, but why would I want to cut a throat when it would be so much easier to lop his entire head off? Whey would I want to thrust a little slice through him, when I could remove a leg at the thigh, or arm at the shoulder? People don't die quickly after being split open from the shoulder to halfway down their torso? Because that's the kind of cutting power I'd want at my disposal. I really believe my big Bowie would have no problem with any of these feats, considering what it can do to animals. Though the long blade would be a disadvantage in a grapple situation, again, I'm thinking offensive use. I apologize for being so frank here, I guess I'm just feeling a little defensive.

And once again, upon reviewing what I've written, I've probably just made myself look even more like a mall ninja.

My words will stand, but I think I may as well try to bow out of this conversation gracefully.

Ya'll have a great New Year.

Matt Shade said:
A knife over there will probably be used a million times for utilitarian type stuff for every time its used as a weapon. They have guns and alot of other better options before resorting to knives. If you make a large utility/camp type knife it will serve them very well and in extreme circumstances will still be a viable weapon. I would concentrate a lot more on something that can slice,chop, dig, or pry than something dedicated to fighting. These guys are pretty much living outdoors and need tools to get through normal day to day type things on top of the fighting. Just my 2 cents.
Very well stated Matt. This was my thinking upon getting involved in this. My thought was making a knife in the size range similar to a Buck 119. Five inch handle, 6 to 6 1/2 blade. Their knives are used more so for the things Matt said then actually killing someone. They need a good strong cutting tool in a knife more then a weapon. Just my 2 cents. :)
Scott

I can see this is going downhill again. Lets try to remember the reason behind it....SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.
Make a knife you think would be useful if you were in there situation, don't worry too much about what others are making. In the end, regardless of design it will make a big difference in 2 ways:
Number One: It will be a quality tool, better than what they had available to them before.
Number Two: It will boost morale. The fact that its handmade, that you took the time to plan it out thoughtfully and build it just for them, will make all the difference in the world.

edited out, having now fully read the entirity fo this thread. my comments were completely off topic, sorry bout that

Possum, I's say you are already contributing since you are making one for the Air Force. Nowicki, same thing. Looks like you have and are making plenty already for the cause. Kit was correct in having to take care of the home front too. The forces will see your posts and believe me, you both will be appreciated. I don't want anyone over burdoned. The truth is all I believe I will be able to donate is one knife and sheath.

Thanks.

RL

Hey Roger.....Since you have a contact in the special ops why don't you ask him for their input as to what they would want and then we can gear our efforts to their needs. I'm sure they will apreciate whatever we send but if it is more useful to theit situation it will be that much better. Just my $.02.
Let us know what develops.

Larry

Yes Larry I believe most of us would like some input on that. It is one of the outgoing email questions this evening. I have been away all day but will do that this evening. Have no idea how long it may take to get a reply.

RL

rlinger said:
Yes Larry I believe most of us would like some input on that. It is one of the outgoing email questions this evening. I have been away all day but will do that this evening. Have no idea how long it may take to get a reply.

RL

GREAT....If we are going to do this let's put our time to good use and get them what they need.

Matt Shade said:
I can see this is going downhill again. Lets try to remember the reason behind it....SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.
Make a knife you think would be useful if you were in there situation, don't worry too much about what others are making. In the end, regardless of design it will make a big difference in 2 ways:
Number One: It will be a quality tool, better than what they had available to them before.
Number Two: It will boost morale. The fact that its handmade, that you took the time to plan it out thoughtfully and build it just for them, will make all the difference in the world.

Double what Matt said, well said. Worth reading again.

Back