Takedown Damascus Bowie WIP

The wa handle I made came out to be 5 3/4”. I made it irregular octagonal (cross section wise) with the side flats being the longest the top and bottom next and the corners the shortest. It is also tapered towards the blade.
I said octagonal in previous post, but that's not true. I did just like 357 said, sides longer than the corners. Length of handle from 5" to 6" depending on size of hand and size of blade.

Although it may not be the most traditional or attractive; that was by design... just playing around. It's not a single curve, rather 3 sections separated by two curves
Oops, I did not mean to criticize your design. It's pretty subtle, so I thought you meant to smooth the clip from when it was a Bowie but left a flat spot, that's why I pointed it out. I look forward to seeing the completed knife!

Although it may not be the most traditional or attractive; that was by design... just playing around. It's not a single curve, rather 3 sections separated by two curves
Just playing around ..................... :thumbsup: well , it is ugly to me , especially when there is no effect on knife performance .
This look much pleasant to me
xDb1LyZ.png

Drilled a hole in the dowel to avoid it acting like a piston:

kveRSR8l.jpg

Glue Up layout:

BSTKLrVl.jpg

Got all the epoxy in there along with the blade and used my modified clamps to hold together the handle. I'm using some Roge epoxy from Combat abrasives so it started to set up in about 15-20 min:

MI09cwul.jpg

It was pretty hard to get out! (I did put a little wax on the tang...):

e8baB78l.jpg

XBVAPsnl.jpg

Brought it down on the grinder with a 60 grit:

LBLD7zkl.jpg

heated the tang and burned the epoxy out of the way:

5N3znpOl.jpg

5bS6sRil.jpg

Got a nice fit here:

b2SBTVRl.jpg

Marked some targets:

DuKUr6Il.jpg

Getting everything parallel to the blade:

bEM9k5Ul.jpg

Trying out the front scallops:

OgBz1Y7l.jpg

1N8b22ll.jpg

dlDb5fKl.jpg

After the grinder cleaning up the chamfers on the surface plate:

d95wDEjl.jpg

HnY64qZl.jpg

This wood had some voids.... I filled with super glue and sanded down:

O6XubDkl.jpg

After a light buff:

YePGnSol.jpg

RRBy1nzl.jpg

notching the tang to help lock it in with the epoxy:

ZP67Ovyl.jpg

Built this etching tank out of 3'' PVC... 1 part Ferric Chloride and 2 parts water... I may leave the top off so the water evaporates some and beef this mixture up with more acid... etching took forever:

bUMpWYLl.jpg

Cleaned blade with soap and water:

aGNNsz9l.jpg

rP3c5kOl.jpg

Started etching:

nfswohEl.jpg

Took the blade out at 5 min increments then 20 min increments when I found out how weak the mix was:

buDPbp2l.jpg

9Zyc8MNl.jpg

Steel wool between cycles:

3Px3dKml.jpg

Baking soda to neutralize at the end:

cxivyE8l.jpg

I rubbed this in:

QjMGmOKl.jpg

Looks like you did some real nice work on that handle.

Built this etching tank out of 3'' PVC... 1 part Ferric Chloride and 2 parts water... I may leave the top off so the water evaporates some and beef this mixture up with more acid... etching took forever:

Most will mix 1 part Ferric Chloride to 4 parts distilled water. “Stronger” won’t necessarily etch faster or better.
I wouldn’t leave the top open period, especially near anything any metal as it will begin to rust very quickly.

Last edited:
Most will mix 1 part Ferric Chloride to 4 parts distilled water. “Stronger” won’t necessarily etch faster or better.
I wouldn’t leave the top open period, especially near anything any metal as it will begin to rust very quickly.

Maybe the acid is just weaker than the last stuff I purchased.... Just working way slower than my 3 year old 50/50 mix

That knife turned out really nice - good job.... and a GREAT WIP.

Have you tried a coffee etch? I've done a couple and at this time I like coffee :)

That knife turned out really nice - good job.... and a GREAT WIP.

Have you tried a coffee etch? I've done a couple and at this time I like coffee :)
Thanks! I haven't... I heard the
coffee etch isn't durable?

Cleaning up the back end:

WHEAIr2l.jpg

S0JDspbl.jpg

Used the WEN water cooled sharpener to set my angle to 17.5:

psNrOREl.jpg

Refined with an 800 grit norax on the "house/work system"

amHKnTSl.jpg

Stopped with leather wheel on WEN:

Odbgz6Wl.jpg

Prelim-Final-Shots.... I'm going to take my time with some good ones later:

C4nCoHNl.jpg

I really like how the fit turned out here:

w4bWVNrl.jpg

BKLgqahl.jpg

paEfXd6l.jpg

FyEM8iZl.jpg

Not bad for almost being scrap steel!! lol

Last edited:
Very well done, that’s a great save.

I’d suggest a small chamfer on the butt just to break that square transition.

Very well done, that’s a great save.
I’d suggest a small chamfer on the butt just to break that square transition.

Thanks! I did round over that corner by hand with sand paper. Very small radius. maybe a 1/32'' radius.

Yeah, what he 👆 said!
Soooo......are you addicted?

To WA handle kitchen knives? Yeah... I like the process on these. Pretty fun.

To damascus?! YUP

Reactions: weo
Are yall concerned about the strength of my handle? That tang felt a little short. If I remember right it only went into the box elder about 2.75''

I guess no one will be battoning with this guy... but I'm just not used to kitchen knives. 🤣

Back