Talk me into a 940

I have had a 940 of some variety since 2004. I now carry a 940-2 because I really like the G-10 scales even over the carbon fiber 940-1.

Ahhh great post. Do you remember what the Benchmade employee said as to why it should be a 940 if you were to choose only one? I'm not a collector, so to me it's super cool to think of the one knife that does it all or the one knife you've had for years and years. Thanks for this response Elijay2!

So, at the time, I didn't know that I was going to be going back over the Benchmade deep end. I thought that I may just buy one knife to see what Benchmade had become since my old days of collecting. I pretty much just pressured him to tell me, "of I only bought one Benchmade" which would it be. If I remember correctly, I did suggest something that was relatively easy to carry, but he was already all in on the 940. He carried it, loved it etc. Called it "quintessential Benchmade."

The design just makes so much sense to me. Of course I can see uses from an Adamas, a Presidio or another tank of a knife but, realistically, I would never need something like that (notice I said "need," because I absolutely own and love them!). :)

Very cool. Well I'm definitely keeping this one. Decided I can't do the purple so figured I'd take out the backspacer and oxi clean it for a dark gray finish. But of course I stripped one of the screws and can't get it off! UGH! I guess I need to heat these things up before trying to unthread them for the first time. I don't think it's completely stripped, but I'm afraid if I try again I will kill it. Any ideas of how I can get this thing out?
So, at the time, I didn't know that I was going to be going back over the Benchmade deep end. I thought that I may just buy one knife to see what Benchmade had become since my old days of collecting. I pretty much just pressured him to tell me, "of I only bought one Benchmade" which would it be. If I remember correctly, I did suggest something that was relatively easy to carry, but he was already all in on the 940. He carried it, loved it etc. Called it "quintessential Benchmade."

The design just makes so much sense to me. Of course I can see uses from an Adamas, a Presidio or another tank of a knife but, realistically, I would never need something like that (notice I said "need," because I absolutely own and love them!). :)

Very cool. Well I'm definitely keeping this one. Decided I can't do the purple so figured I'd take out the backspacer and oxi clean it for a dark gray finish. But of course I stripped one of the screws and can't get it off! UGH! I guess I need to heat these things up before trying to unthread them for the first time. I don't think it's completely stripped, but I'm afraid if I try again I will kill it. Any ideas of how I can get this thing out?

I can’t offerand advice on removing the stripped screw, but I do look forward to seeing pics of that back spacer when you “de-purplize” it :)

Pretty much just matches the jimping on the back. I'd like to get the dang thing off and do it properly. This is good enough for now. Loving this knife more every day.

DOO IT!! DOO IT NOOOOWWWW! (Arnold voice).
That’s what I have to say about getting a 940. Thank me later.

I agree that the 940 is the best benchmade bar none. The caveat is that you need to make sure you get a good one. I have handled many in person that were less than perfect. I did eventually order a green one and it does have some blade play but i like it. A perfect example would definitely be worth the money but i have yet to see one. I think the standard green one is the nicest version. The cf is attractive but its getting to be more and more common among higher end knives. The green aluminum and purple backspacer is really unique. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I keep thinking a sweet revision would be a cross between the 940 and the 940-2. Use the green aluminum scales but slab style. Ditch the Ti backspacer and make it open back style using the same green stand-offs of the 940-2. I'm trying to not get too crazy but it's been a while since I've like a knife this much on the first go round.

Get a set of Wiha torx drivers as they are extremely nice and reduce the chance of problems. If it's stripped you may need to send it to Benchmade. They can fix this easily.

Yup, I figure a trip to Benchmade is in order but that ain't gonna happen any time soon! Too busy enjoying this thing to send him away already!

The backspacer looks awesome. It's the only thing I don't love about mine....

I'm not a knife guy, per-se. I bought the 940 based on a review by "Nutnfancy" of YouTube fame. I've carried it daily at work (policeman) for years, and it's a great knife. Not too big in the pocket, but large enough for anything I'm going to use it for. Kind of pricey, but it's good quality, and I've used the free sharpening service, so that's worth something to me.

Nope never got it out. The bottom screw came out fine, so I spun the backspacer while still attached in the center and worked on one half, then spun it back through the body the other direction and did the other half lol. If\when I can get it off I might try to anodize it to 10v or 15v. Might look cool with a copperish color.

Last edited:
Just picked up a standard 940 today. I now have the 940, 940-2 and a 943. The retailer tried to talk me into the -1 version, but I'm not sure on that one. I am crazy but not that crazy....yet....

Back