Tantos: do you love/hate ‘em?

What do you think about tanto blades?

• Total voters
Just ordered two more tantos for my collection. Decided I better grab any Cold Steels I liked before something bad happens to them.

ZQmJBgx.jpg

ht13uxi.jpg

Oh yeah, you gotta have a couple of these.

The Kobun is just a fun little piece. I've given away several, and now the last one I bought is gonna stay with me.

I have the Magnum Tanto IX in 3V, but I think the collection is still missing that Master Tanto. Gonna have to jump in with both feet.

When I worked on the docks I used a BM 970 (CQC7) to "sound" piling by stabbing into them and prying out. Not an issue with a tanto.

I don't carry a tanto blade every day any more, but if I did I certainly wouldn't feel slighted in the least. They work just fine.

Oh yeah, you gotta have a couple of these.

The Kobun is just a fun little piece. I've given away several, and now the last one I bought is gonna stay with me.

I have the Magnum Tanto IX in 3V, but I think the collection is still missing that Master Tanto. Gonna have to jump in with both feet.

When I worked on the docks I used a BM 970 (CQC7) to "sound" piling by stabbing into them and prying out. Not an issue with a tanto.

I don't carry a tanto blade every day any more, but if I did I certainly wouldn't feel slighted in the least. They work just fine.
I use my Kobun for food prep.

Hahahaha! Awesome! I totally can't see why, but here's the rub...

Last one I gave away was to a chef at our local pub! He liked it so much when he saw it I couldn't help but give it up to him.
Sounds awesome. Can’t help but think an FFG would probably improve the slicing ability, but I’m plenty happy with the hollow grind. The baby sings just fine.

They are just fine UNTIL you have to sharpen one...with multiple bevels...it sucks.
I find that it’s manageable with rods? I still use my Lansky crock stick sharpener, but I imagine a Sharpmaker would do just fine. I can see it being difficult on a flat stone though.

I remember seeing my first tanto in a Cold Steel advertisement many moons ago. I remember thinking it was weird and unattractive. As time went by, they slowly became more popular. I finally tried one in the way of an Emerson CQC-7V. I was not committed enough to try a full chisel grind version. :rolleyes:

I liked it and was surprised to find the blade is handier than I expected. I have that Emerson and a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto in my EDC rotation these days.

I keep looking at the Kobun as a budget entry into fixed-blade tantos, but the fact that the thin guard is made of the same material as the rubber handle has me hesitating... do you Kobun owners find it an issue? I was thinking it might eventually break or split away from the handle.

Last edited:
They are just fine UNTIL you have to sharpen one...with multiple bevels...it sucks.

that's why I enjoy a chisel grind with the tanto... while I do agree with many of Emerson tactical knife critics, I have to appreciate the grind he favors for many of their knives - but much more as a left handed person than otherwise

I remember seeing my first tanto in a Cold Steel advertisement many moons ago. I remember thinking it was weird and unattractive. As time went by, they slowly became more popular. I finally tried one in the way of an Emerson CQC-7V. I was not committed enough to try a full chisel grind version. :rolleyes:

I liked it and was surprised to find the blade is handier than I expected. I have that Emerson and a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto in my EDC rotation these days.

I keep looking at the Kobun as a budget entry into fixed-blade tantos, but the fact that the thin guard is made of the same material as the rubber handle has me hesitating... do you Kobun owners find it an issue? I was thinking it might eventually break or split away from the handle.
The Kobun’s rubber handle hasn’t failed me yet. It seems sturdy enough. It’s not the floppy kind of rubber.

the kobun is a great knife, but I'd prefer the handle a tad thicker. I realize it's a boot knife and that ruins it a bit for that, but i don't use mine that way.

Tanto knives are really cool but not much use outside of the obvious intended use. That being said, I wished I had grabbed up a 3v recon tanto.

Love tantos They have great penetration power and are very durable. second favorite blade style to clip point.

Back