Techno 2 in my hands finally...

So... let me share also here my initial thoughts after about 3 weeks of carrying and using Techno 2. First of all - it’s easy to spot the similarities between Techno 2 and original one - very close handle shape, overall size, hole positioning vs handle. But it’s actually substantially different knife in performance and cutting action imho. It’s a matured design. In a small knife like Techno a modified warncliff blade style with slightly curved edge performs imho (!) a bit better. Mainly thanks to straighter (but not straight!) and effectively longer cutting edge, which is positioned lower vs line of a handle.

IMG_0065.jpg

Also I just like that blade shape a lot more - it’s kind of modified santoku with sharp tip (that’s also why I like so much Sebenza Insingo). Blade stock is slightly thinner than on Techno 1, so despite a lower grind line the cutting performance and V-geometry is on pair with excellent cutting power of Techno 1. Or even better (especially in hard materials) as the spine is considerably thinner. Tip is still very sharp (it’s absolutely NOT a safety tip, like classic sheepfoot blade). Also precize cutting through stuff like paper, leather, etc. on a flat board is so much easier with this „pointy warncliff” style blade.

Opening is easy, action is smooth (but it’s not a friction-less action of ballbearing pivot... thanks Lord!). Lock is very positive. Actually handle slabs are considerably thicker than on first Techno, so Techno2’s frame lock is even more secure and solid.

IMG_0066.jpg

Clip is a standard wire clip, works well with low signature. The lanyard hole positioning is perfect, at the very end of Ti slabs - so lanyard makes a natural extension of a handle. On a small knife like this - it’s a good thing.

techno2_woro_web.jpg

So far the weather locally makes it hard to test it in the field. Too much snow, everything is frozen. I tried it a bit, it cuts really well (as expected) but for a long term cutting review you need to wait a bit more. Anyway, so far so good! Should be great EDC, especially combined with SAK and/or small prying tool like this one pictured (by Woro Knives) or Atwood’s PryBaby.

Which one do I prefer? Well, both are great, original Techno is now a Spyderco’s classic. But for aesthetics (my own aesthetics, so ymmv) and performance I guess Techno 2 has a clear edge over the first version (thinner blade, thicker Ti, warncliff blade). Only time will tell.

blackops_coffee_web.jpg

But no worry, this thread WILL be continued :)

Very nice! I Had an original techno and I never really took to it. I love the insingo style blade.

Great review. I love the original techno and can't wait to try the 2.

Side note, glad to see they dropped the ugly blue back spacer from the original version.

Last edited:
I haven't bought a knife since the Techno 2 was announced. I finally got one in my hands last week and I dont forsee another knife in my pocket any time soon.

I already have a Techno 1 and have been critical of it's design. The blade thickness is unnecessary. I found the blade shape fairly unusable (too much belly). The quasi gimping is gimmicky. The philosophy of design, however, was always very intriguing.

The Techno 2 is a massive improvement over the original. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the wire clip. It functions just fine but I find the aesthetics and durability questionable for a knife of this quality. I replaced it with. Ripps Garage clip immediately.

All in all, the Techno 2 was well worth the wait. It will be tough to get this one out of my pocket.

Great review. I never had the first one, I waited once I saw the 2 was coming. I love it. Perfect little knife.

So... let me share also here my initial thoughts after about 3 weeks of carrying and using Techno 2. First of all - it’s easy to spot the similarities between Techno 2 and original one - very close handle shape, overall size, hole positioning vs handle. But it’s actually substantially different knife in performance and cutting action imho. It’s a matured design. In a small knife like Techno a modified warncliff blade style with slightly curved edge performs imho (!) a bit better. Mainly thanks to straighter (but not straight!) and effectively longer cutting edge, which is positioned lower vs line of a handle.

IMG_0065.jpg

Also I just like that blade shape a lot more - it’s kind of modified santoku with sharp tip (that’s also why I like so much Sebenza Insingo). Blade stock is slightly thinner than on Techno 1, so despite a lower grind line the cutting performance and V-geometry is on pair with excellent cutting power of Techno 1. Or even better (especially in hard materials) as the spine is considerably thinner. Tip is still very sharp (it’s absolutely NOT a safety tip, like classic sheepfoot blade). Also precize cutting through stuff like paper, leather, etc. on a flat board is so much easier with this „pointy warncliff” style blade.

Opening is easy, action is smooth (but it’s not a friction-less action of ballbearing pivot... thanks Lord!). Lock is very positive. Actually handle slabs are considerably thicker than on first Techno, so Techno2’s frame lock is even more secure and solid.

IMG_0066.jpg

Clip is a standard wire clip, works well with low signature. The lanyard hole positioning is perfect, at the very end of Ti slabs - so lanyard makes a natural extension of a handle. On a small knife like this - it’s a good thing.

techno2_woro_web.jpg

So far the weather locally makes it hard to test it in the field. Too much snow, everything is frozen. I tried it a bit, it cuts really well (as expected) but for a long term cutting review you need to wait a bit more. Anyway, so far so good! Should be great EDC, especially combined with SAK and/or small prying tool like this one pictured (by Woro Knives) or Atwood’s PryBaby.

Which one do I prefer? Well, both are great, original Techno is now a Spyderco’s classic. But for aesthetics (my own aesthetics, so ymmv) and performance I guess Techno 2 has a clear edge over the first version (thinner blade, thicker Ti, warncliff blade). Only time will tell.

blackops_coffee_web.jpg

But no worry, this thread WILL be continued :)

I had a techno 1 which I loved many things about but just found that a small Sebenza seemed like a more functionally designed knife for my hand.

Obviously the Techno 1 (and I assume the 2) have outstanding almost Sebenzalike build quality to them but I just felt like the tall stubby handle felt less secure in my hand than the Sebenza handle and left me kind of feeling; why does a knife this small need such a tall handle?

Obviously the techno is much more reasonably priced and is still a great watch pocket knife.

How is it to open compared to the Techno 1. I always felt that the notch in the scale was too small.

greatscoot,to be honest the notch is too small,it's for tiny (baby/women) fingers.i have xxxl hands so i had to put it in the collection instead of my pocket,sad,because it's a phenomenal little "big" knife!

greatscoot,to be honest the notch is too small,it's for tiny (baby/women) fingers.i have xxxl hands so i had to put it in the collection instead of my pocket,sad,because it's a phenomenal little "big" knife!

How was it for slower controlled opening with xl hands?

Hi Heirphoto,to be honest terrible,but my hands are not xl but xxxl,hahaha!the Techno2 is a beautyfull and excellent build little "big" knife,let there be no mistake about that!it sits nicely in my collection and there it stays with the others.wish Spyderco made a Slysz Bowie with the wharncliffe of the Techno2,that would make a nice knife!!

Nice thread! Really nice photos!! Had a Techno 1...thought the blade was way too thick. Was hoping to pick up a McBee......may take the plunge on a Techno 2 in the meantime.
Peter

I hope to get mine in the next couple of days, i thought of opening a thread then too but your prose is thoughtful enough if not technical-informative-detailed so i'll forgo my take np. Funny me is already looking for spare replacement clips since the wire clip has to be the weakest part of the product which could accidentally fail me. I've been EDC'ing a 24€-lookalike ever since i got it, even carrying it indoors all the time when at home(!), and totally fell for this knife concept, so i am stoked about getting the real deal. I'll be checking wire clip quality and (early? late?) blade lockup first, then smoothness of opening (thumb-flickability), compare edge retention, do the same mod, and eventually exchange the hardware. Most of all i am curious if i actually like the t2 better than the t1; i really hope so, otherwise what's the point of spending another 330$ on a similar design? For if we're being honest to ourselves, if you gave both models to a knife enthusiast who didn't know of the techno/mouse design, he would not be able to tell which were the newer model because one could argue either way about the various design changes between the two models. If the t2 had been released first on the market 8 years ago and the t1 introduced in late 2018 as the "improved" successor, we would have sucked up the marketing likewise no offense, agreed, reviewed it accordingly, and even started believing what we reiterated in our reviews.

So i am not fooling myself between a genuine t1 and genuine t2. As @NickShabazz fairly/correctly points out, neither model could be called the better or "improved" version of the other; it's a toss, a matter of personal preference, a matter of opinion. To me, my additional "330$" definitely feels like a severe stepup, a warranted upgrade because i want to enjoy the CTS-XHP supersteel and resharpening; i really enjoy 204-freehanding and freehanding on my proud 302UF. So i am mostly interested in the better steel, and that's by all means an objective improvement between my two t's which i see myself paying for.

If i had the genuine t1 in CTS-XHP, i'd be perfectly happy and not look any further. That i can tell you now already in all honesty!

"If you've got something good, appreciate and enjoy. Don't fool yourself into something better, because it ain't." — ©2019 kreisl ;)

Last edited:
$330 is just suggested price... street / online price is fortunately waaay below that ($215-$220)

Got mine finally (i left kudos to the seller White Mountain Knives for the great service and nice price shipped internationally), thanks! :cool:
Here is my share of thoughts, initial observations in random order:

my April-ordered unit was apparently finalized in March 2019 (datecode "CS"). I am pleasantly surprised because early adopters reported a dark gray boring matt finish, not stone-washed. my titanium handles have a stone-washed tumble dark grey super smooth finish; similar to the t1 finish, just darker:
img_20190505_1407418iknx.jpg

the blade lockout is at 50\50 (or 47\53), i.e. slightly less than 50%. in my books that's neither early nor late but optimal:
img_20190504_153313bbjzu.jpg

the original pocket wire clip has to be called strong, sturdy, that's my impression. and with 1.60mm wire thickness it is noticeably stronger than the flimsy 1.40mm wire clip of my t1l. having experienced now the physicality of the techno2 clip, i am herewith stopping all my endeavours to source a different/cheaper/better/stronger wire clip: the Milwaukee clip might be cheaper but it ain't better or stronger, no single doubt!
img_20190504_1530130cjdx.jpg

clearly, if i ever needed a t2 replacement clip, i will not hesitate to order the original part from SFO direct (at the time of writing, international shipping for this part is a friendly 5 bucks only, nice!); and when that happens, i will revisit this thread and let everyone know. I really don't know about the t1 clip, but the t2 clip instills confidence into critical user me; no shopper should be concerned about the strength of t2 wire clip!

however, i have substituted the t1l wire clip. why? because it is more flexible (or "flimsy" as i called it names) and because its lip is higher (lip height 5.2mm), making it easier to slide the clip over the brim of the pants pocket. the t2 clip has a rather low riding lip (lip height 2.6mm) to accept different brim thicknesses, making it a tight fit to slide over a jeams brim:
clip12-300cs-ojkb3.gif

i am keeping the t2 clip as original spare part, because it's only a matter of time when the t1l wire clip will fail on me. the potential disadvantage of a higher lip is that it could accidentally snag on something more easily; a flush/flat clip (lip height 1.3mm or lower) would have zero potential to snag on something.

on the t1 it wasn't, on the t2 the titanium lock cutout is chamfered (bevelled). however the old problem persists: the pants pocket brim gets caught in there, in the cutout. i have modded the part and eliminated this problem as i did on the t1l. BEFORE the mod:
img_20190505_111757mpjza.jpg

it took me like four times to achieve an acceptable result:
img_20190505_120701s8kos.jpg

img_20190505_120756d7jwp.jpg

after cutting off the excess hot glue with the sharpest blade ever ;), i'm good now. AFTER the mod:
img_20190505_130237akkmg.jpg

see the new clip lip and my clean chamfer cuts:
img_20190505_131340enk7r.jpg

poor photo, looks better in reality:
img_20190505_131611rikk8.jpg

ditto:
img_20190505_135403x6kqv.jpg

the right index finger sits on a new pressure point, when you choke up on the blade. really ouch. the t1 doesn't have that; choking up on the t1 blade feels comfortable. well tbh neither of the two model versions is very comfortable in tightly gripping hands thanks to the pressure points by the wire pocket clip ouch. bygones. :rolleyes:

it's easy to thumb-flick the knife open, the detent isn't as frikking strong as on the t1l. when unlocked, the blade swivels freely, and when locked, it is rock solid with absolute zero play whatsoever. crazy good stuff.

all the hardware requires the same sized head torx driver (T9). very convenient for disassembly/reassembly

the lanyard hole is smaller. only gutted (standard-) paracord would fit through.

yes i'll admit i like the t2 better because i had the t1l first. but honestly if had had the t2 first, i would have liked the authentic t1 better. twisted mind psychology.o_O and if i had had the authentic t1 first, i would have stopped looking. so i am glad that i got my filthy hands on the t1l first: of course the t2 feels and is a total upgrade compared to the t1l! needless to say, i have retired the t1l. both are absolute keepers. am glad to own both.

the techno's have become my favorite EDC pocket knife #1468, even ahead of my delica endura pm2. depending on the job day ahead, i'd either carry the techno or carry and use the Utilizer instead (to save the techno blade's edge for another job day ;)).

Last edited:
Reactions: UPz
Back