Terminology: Emergency Knife

In an emergency, I don't have time to dig through the safe for the proper knife. I MUST use my EDC. The last emergency that I experienced, I used my EDC...my CRK Zaan... to pry a cast-iron lid off of a water main so I could turn off the water. My Zaan worked just fine...and yes, I had a few small chips out of the edge that were easily repaired.
I guess that if you were a cop or EMT, you might carry an "additional" heavy-duty knife that could be used to pry things or to cut off seat-belts.

In an emergency, I don't have time to dig through the safe for the proper knife. I MUST use my EDC. The last emergency that I experienced, I used my EDC...my CRK Zaan... to pry a cast-iron lid off of a water main so I could turn off the water. My Zaan worked just fine...and yes, I had a few small chips out of the edge that were easily repaired.
I guess that if you were a cop or EMT, you might carry an "additional" heavy-duty knife that could be used to pry things or to cut off seat-belts.

The Umnumzaan makes a fine emergency knife too; I have never felt "under-knifed" when carrying it. :)

I guess a knife I wouldn't consider an emergency knife is my Junglas.
It's an awesome workhorse of a knife for out in the woods, and is tough as all hell.
However, I don't walk around town with it, and not just due to cops...it's pretty darn big. It's a knife that stays in the pack till I take it out for use.

For someone in a rural area that found it comfortable to wear all the time, it could be an emergency knife.
For me though, it doesn't fit into that category.

Back