Photos Terrible Factory Edges

Hmm it just seems odd to me that these "high quality" production companies don't offer a option to have someone actually take their time and give you something better than just slop..lol? You guess they finish on 600 grit but it looks absolutely nothing like my 600 grit bevel lol. All I use is the Edge Pro with the standard stones that came with 120grit-1000grit and I'm getting these results? I guess it's just skill and time sadly..
I like other makers will use say a worn 22 or 320 grit or even a new 400 or 600 grit belt to set the edge. I have never seen one of those belts cut a ragged edge like I have seen on some factory knives. Of course, my edges are much thinner to start with, so that may be a factor.

You can set a "rough' edge on a belt and then go to another machine like a Tormek and do polished edge with their 4000 grit Japanese wheel and/or their leather wheel and I suspect that it wouldn't take an hour per blade to do it. i would suspect that even a CATRA machine would leave a better finish than some that I have seen. IMO, there is no excuse for a "washboard" edge on any knife.
Im so glad someone with experience can partially agree with with I'm nagging at haha. I almost feel like its just poor quality control..?

The best factory edge I've ever found came on my Guardian3, their edges are most definitely not 'slop'. Also, Bradford knives are under $200 new, that is the same money that one would conceivably spend on a ZT, ESEE, or Benchmade, and all of those companies have the same quality factory edges or worse.
Alright..i retract my first statement in saying it's "slop" haha, my G3 is definitely the cream of the crop when it comes to productions knives I've had to fix right from the box. My Spyderco PM2 in M390 was way worse haha. I knew Bradford Knives was a smaller business/shop per say so I wasn't sure what to expect.

What was wrong with the factory edge of the gardian 3 in the op picture? Unless the other side of the edge is dramatically different, I actually think it was a very decent factory edge.

I believe the edge is also a part of the look and identity of the knife. I won't consider getting a mirror edge on a SMF or Umnumzaan. On the other hand, I love it on Sebenzas and I'm considering it on my Chaves 228.
I guess I've never considered purposely stopping at a certain grit in order to yield different results? No matter what knife I use in my EDC rotation when I go to set MY secondary bevel it just seems dumb to me to not using every stone I possess? I've seen this mentioned in other threads but I find it odd how some people can get such drastically different results using the same system/stones..

What was wrong with the factory edge of the gardian 3 in the op picture? Unless the other side of the edge is dramatically different, I actually think it was a very decent factory edge.
Just to me the factory edge having all those scratches seems unfinished ? Call me a whiny OCD girl, but I just can't handle looking at such a "toothy" scratched up bevel? lol

I was a 1500 junkie then I had a revelation with 600, or even 300 on D2. I then polish the bevel with strop or sandpaper if I want a mirror but the edge itself is kept "toothy". YMMV.

Now I see what you meant. Production knives are sharpened on some kind of spinning wheel, and hence the scratch pattern. Polished edges are results of people sharpening with a stone or diamond plate.

I was a 1500 junkie then I had a revelation with 600, or even 300 on D2. I then polish the bevel with strop or sandpaper if I want a mirror but the edge itself is kept "toothy". YMMV.
Would you agree to disagree that different steel "optimize" at different grit levels? Or is it solely on what you intend to do with the knife? Me personally..Im performing heavy cutting task like stripping insulation from wire and de-burring PVC when I make cuts. So to me (personal opinion obviously) the finer my edge the better at these task my steel will perform? But hey I'm always open to suggestions...

Now I see what you meant. Production knives are sharpened on some kind of spinning wheel, and hence the scratch pattern. Polished edges are results of people sharpening with a stone or diamond plate.
Glad you see the light! lol

Would you agree to disagree that different steel "optimize" at different grit levels? Or is it solely on what you intend to do with the knife? Me personally..Im performing heavy cutting task like stripping insulation from wire and de-burring PVC when I make cuts. So to me (personal opinion obviously) the finer my edge the better at these task my steel will perform? But hey I'm always open to suggestions...

I do agree to disagree, as I cut a lot of fibrous materials like hay bales ropes or work on wood fences (the joys of horsemanship). I do like mirror razors to show off or cooking, but for EDC I need more rough edges. Steels behaves differently with grits, but believe me 1500 grit is useless on D2 :)

I do agree to disagree, as I cut a lot of fibrous materials like hay bales ropes or work on wood fences (the joys of horsemanship). I do like mirror razors to show off or cooking, but for EDC I need more rough edges. Steels behaves differently with grits, but believe me 1500 grit is useless on D2 :)
OK ok ok..I can understand not brining D2 up to 1000 for sure hahah, but do you own a steel with a little more edge retention like 35VN, M390,110V? I can see with your "profession" I take it that you don't need something super fancy or what not, but does it not get tiresome to resharpen so often? Or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way.. ?

Honestly the only bad edges I have had on new knives, are knives that came from custom makers. I think they may had just forgotten to put final edges on the product before shipping out. But its happened a few times now.

Honestly the only bad edges I have had on new knives, are knives that came from custom makers. I think they may had just forgotten to put final edges on the product before shipping out. But its happened a few times now.
Haha you've made my night by saying something completely opposite from most of the replies I've gotten via this thread. Sounds like when you want a custom knife built, you better do your HW as to who they are and what credentials they may or may not have.

I worked with edged blades my entire career. (I'm a carpenter by trade, I was a general by business.)

Every new cutting tool that had a blade needed to be sharpened before it was used, and everyone knew that. Handplanes can take half an hour before they're ready when they're new. Chisels an hour. It was just part of the job.

OK ok ok..I can understand not brining D2 up to 1000 for sure hahah, but do you own a steel with a little more edge retention like 35VN, M390,110V? I can see with your "profession" I take it that you don't need something super fancy or what not, but does it not get tiresome to resharpen so often? Or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way.. ?

You'd be surprised of my profession, it's more about a lifestyle :)
I have work knives in carbon or stainless steels (Opinel, Faalkniven, various 1095 custom made fixed blades), and high end knives with S35VN, Sleipner, HAP40, CTS-XHP... Cutting softer and fibrous materials is not that hard on an edge and I like them toothy for comfort, and it's just a pass on the sharpening rod or strop to get them back good. Stripping wires is tougher than what I do, as a personal rule I don't like to use a knife to cut anything with metal on it. I don't perform precision cuts with them.

My stupid sharp high end blades, which I sometimes use to cook, are actually having a much harder time as they can bang on a ceramic plate or a cutting board, and hence get flattened/rolled pretty bad. But they do cut bacon or veggies in slices so thin they are translucent. These one takes me much more time to resharpen.

Sharpening will never be tiresome, but I guess I'm a special kind of masochist. I love sharpening with a passion.

You'd be surprised of my profession, it's more about a lifestyle :)
I have work knives in carbon or stainless steels (Opinel, Faalkniven, various 1095 custom made fixed blades), and high end knives with S35VN, Sleipner, HAP40, CTS-XHP... Cutting softer and fibrous materials is not that hard on an edge and I like them toothy for comfort, and it's just a pass on the sharpening rod or strop to get them back good. Stripping wires is tougher than what I do, as a personal rule I don't like to use a knife to cut anything with metal on it. I don't perform precision cuts with them.

My stupid sharp high end blades, which I sometimes use to cook, are actually having a much harder time as they can bang on a ceramic plate or a cutting board, and hence get flattened/rolled pretty bad. But they do cut bacon or veggies in slices so thin they are translucent. These one takes me much more time to resharpen.

Sharpening will never be tiresome, but I guess I'm a special kind of masochist. I love sharpening with a passion.
I couldn't agree more my friend..long story short when it comes down to it. I wish more people I actually knew where into knives so I could sharpen their blades..but sadly I'm surrounded by electricians (my profession) that LOVE the disposable razor blade "knife" from Ace or Home Depot :(.. Lol

I have two D2 knives with a polished edge, sharpened up to 1200 grit then stropped to scary sharp. They are both incredible cutters and so far beyond their original grinds as to be unrecognisable. For all the comments I see here about D2, I just get the impression that most have never seen what it can do when ground and sharpened by a professional (not me, I use Jason Bosman who is a member here).

For just looks, Mirror edge is fine. For actual cutting(all types of random materials/tasks), I prefer 400-1500 a heck of a lot more than high grit. Too bad I bought all the expensive, high grit stones before figuring this out!! :/ My favorite stone right now is a 9 dollar double sided diamond stone and a double sided ceramic, also on the cheaper side.
As for Bradford knives, both of mine had sharp edges. they looked better than the one you have, but they were sharp lower grit edges.

Back