Photos Terrible Factory Edges

Well, the Cold Steel Finn Wolf I got ended up with the edge rolling and chipping from cutting wood.
I still have some Cold Steel products, but don't be fooled into thinking they are superior to the competition.

That "folding kukri" you are referring to is most likely the Rajah 2, and it is one of their better offerings in the toughness department.
It was priced great too till they switched to the newer steel; now it is priced okay, but is not the value it once was.

And most knives I buy from most companies show up sharp.

Aye, absolutely. They have some solid offerings, but it's very much like shopping at a discount grocery store - make sure you know what's out there or you'll wind up paying more for something not nearly as good elsewhere.

I bought a Bushman folder for the novelty of the lock and I got a 4MAX because....well it's a 4MAX. The lock sometimes gets hung up because it's a $350 cold steel that's not as consistent deploying as a $40 RAT I. But both knives were out of box sharper than any Spyderco, G&G Hawk or Ferrum Forge I've had. The 4MAX will cut wood all day, shave hair afterwards and still hasn't been stropped up - their 20cv so far is as good as any other company's. Cold Steel is an odd duck when it comes to quality/where they put their focus on. I don't feel like they have a clear direction.

Aye, absolutely. They have some solid offerings, but it's very much like shopping at a discount grocery store - make sure you know what's out there or you'll wind up paying more for something not nearly as good elsewhere.

I bought a Bushman folder for the novelty of the lock and I got a 4MAX because....well it's a 4MAX. The lock sometimes gets hung up because it's a $350 cold steel that's not as consistent deploying as a $40 RAT I. But both knives were out of box sharper than any Spyderco, G&G Hawk or Ferrum Forge I've had. The 4MAX will cut wood all day, shave hair afterwards and still hasn't been stropped up - their 20cv so far is as good as any other company's. Cold Steel is an odd duck when it comes to quality/where they put their focus on. I don't feel like they have a clear direction.

The 4MAX looked interesting.
If I had more money, I would have got it to try out in addition to the one I got instead.

As for edges, The Benchmade Vicar I got (for dealer price due to a typo on the gun store website :thumbsup:), the edge is insanely sharp, and the bevels are completely even.

Wow..if you didn't tell their was a secondary bevel on that grind then I would have no idea it was even there! You have redefined "wire Edge" my friend hahah.

How is Damascus by the way? Fun to work with? Sadly I'm fairly new to the knife game and have only been able to work with a handful of steels. I'm trying desperately to get all my buddies into knives but most are resistant and don't see the need to own a knife that is even 50 bucks, it really sucks. I will add though..the friends I have convinced to purchase say..a BM or Spydie absolutely love it. And can now understand why I have 1000 wrapped up into knives and maintenance tools lol.
I measured it with the calipers and is right around .0165 behind the edge.

I measured it with the calipers and is right around .0165 behind the edge.
Wow I hope you wrote down the day in your calendar when you created the worlds finest bevel..lol.
:(:(
Yes, but even if you regrind your own edge as soon as you unbox the knife, it's still much easier and takes far less time if the factory bevel is decent to begin with. Taking an obtuse factory edge down to 15dps (especially on high wear resistance steels) isn't a fun time.
I know what you mean man..I had to fix my M390 PM2 the tip was at like 44 inclusive and the heel was around 36, it was so sad lol. Took about 2 hours
:(

Wow I hope you wrote down the day in your calendar when you created the worlds finest bevel..lol.
:(:(
A few years back when the Guild Show was in Orlando, I talked to a couple of the guys who were early users of the CPM M4 race knives and asked them how thin they took there edges. They said that .015 worked for them so I figured that would work okay for smaller 3V blades. For big W2 bowies, I might start at like .025-.030, but those edges are convexed up and thinned with EDM stones.

My standards for a factory edge is this, it needs to be even and symmetrical. The edge needs to be sharp enough to slice paper. Looks aren't everything. I see the point that it looks course but how does it cut? How does the factory edge perform?
Yup, if you can't shave your beard with it it's not a sharp blade

Back