Thanks everyone

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I just want to thank everyone who has supported Gossman Knives. I've decided to go part time at knifemaking. There is very little interest in what I make and I'm working more at my other job so time in the shop is limited. I've thought about throwing in the towel but I do not want to stop making knives. I do have a few orders which I'm grateful for. I've had alot of turmoil/depression going on lately and I just don't have the incentive to go to the shop and work much anymore. I plan on spending alot of time in the woods this fall getting back to my roots of bowhunting deer. Lost alot of interest in other outdoor pursuits. I enjoy my time alone. Also I just don't spend much time on the internet. Two much bullshit anymore.
Scott

I am sorry to hear this, but maybe some time off and in the woods will help out. You don't want to burn yourself out. I will be by the shop when I get this damn stationary boot off, and get my new (2003 is the newest I've ever had) truck on the road, with a case of Blue Moon and a 6 pk of Angry Orchard for me.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this also Scott. Your knives are my favorites. Hope things work out for you, it would be a great loss to the knife industry and blade forums if you stopped making knives. Hopefully things will turn around in the future. Good Luck.

Damn Scott, sorry to hear about this. Don't retire completely dude... I still want to pick up one of your UNKs! I think going part time is a good idea, at least until this economy starts to swing back around.

Scott,
I don't own any of your knives, but it's not for lack of interest - merely funds.
Sorry to hear things haven't been going well for you, but taking some time off to clear your head sounds like a good call on your part.
Best of luck with your time in the woods and I'll look forward to future pics of your creations.

Take care of yourself, your health and well being comes before knife making. If there is anything we can do for you just let us know.

Scott, I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down. You are really appreciated here on the forums and I hope you will continue to maintain a presence here. I too drifted away from Baldeforums for a while, I think the character of the forums changed and the sense of community was lost. But leaving entirely won't help Change that either.

Scott, you make some of the best knives out there. I carry a Gossman when out in the woods, be it a Tusker, Polaris, or Mini-Tusker, more than another blade. And, as you know, I took a Gossman to Afghanistan. It's a knife I can bet my life on. You have made a difference in this forum and for many military members too. We need ya brother.

I'm glad you'll be headed out to the woods. I hope you get reconnected with what inspires you and fills you with passion. I too am looking to get back into bow hunting. I think there is something restorative in hunting and fishing. Hope you find serenity out there.

Best wishes,
Jack

P.s. still hoping you'll make me a long Mini-Tusker!

I am hoping for the best for you Scott!! I am thankfull for the knives you made for me! I have been doing the same thing.I have been battleing depression since I had to medically retire. I am doing the same thing and getting back to my roots of bowhunting! I wish you the very best my friend!

Good luck with whatever path you choose! Prayers out on your journey......... Your blades are quality work and a legacy that my son's will enjoy for their lifetime.

have fun in the woods Scott (lucky sob :D) grind whatever you want, when you want and we'll still buy 'em from you, your designs work and that's what matters...hang in there brother, depressions a bitch, but you have an enormous group of friends that will always be here for support!

Been around for years and I recognize your work, you make nice knives.Get refreshed and right, then get back because the community is better with you. Thanks for what you bring to the table and all the best to you.

Scott-

Take some time off from posting. Take some time off from grinding. Getting back to the woods will recharge you. You've got a lot of support in the knifing community, and I'm sure we'll all be here when you're good to go.

Not much I can say that the others haven't. I hate to hear you're not feeling well. If I had the funds, I'd have about 5 more knives on order with you, but unfortunately those damn funds take some time to accumulate. It's worth it though...your work is fantastic, and working with you as a person is even more fantastic.

Looking forward to Gosstoberfest and hearing how the hunting is going!

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement. Just want to clarify that this isn't about the lack of work in the shop or income. I've got plenty to work on and have had a great year so far. This falls into a personal conflict which is very complicated. I guess I'm just burned out plus I get really aggravated easily about alot of things anymore. I guess that's why they call me "old man" at work. Pissed off easily is a good way to describe it.
Thanks again, it's good to know I've got friends out there.
Scott

Hope some time in the woods recharges your batteries Scott. Usually works for me. Definitly hope you dont stop making blades anytime soon, I'm saving funds for a tusker. Any other blade just wont do!!!

Sorry to hear that BUT I TOTALLY understand .

" Also I just don't spend much time on the internet. Too much bullshit anymore.".... my thoughts EXACTLY

"burned out " ,"Pissed off easily" hell yeah I know how that feels like

on the other hand spending time at the shop always gives me some kind of joy...no matter how pissed and annoyed I´m a little time there helps.

Have you ever tried to make something else...like pendants or other tools,...start using your tools for making a grinder or such things...

helped me over the last couple weeks when i was really not into knifemaking anymore.

btw ever thought about getting an apprentice to do the annoying work like making blanks,drilling holes,rough grinding....

for what you can teach everyone would be glad to help you out..me included

take care

AL

A big problem I have with youtube and the forums is that there is too much misinformation, bullshit, being posted especially when it comes to knifemaking, wilderness survival and knife use. I don't claim to be an expert at anything but do have experience and time spent. Too many so called "experts" out there blowing their piehole about stuff they no nothing about. Quite irritating to read. It's gotten to the point where as long as you have the latest/greatest piece of gear, you know what you are doing. Reminds me when I went to the bow shop to get my "old school" Jennings Black Lightning compund bow restrung and a dozen carbon arrows made. The owner who is 86 years old and was good friends with Fred Bear told me about these new high tech bows on the market and how unnecessary they are. He said "see those caribou, black bear and moose pictures on the wall, they were killed with 43 pound draw weight recurve bows. The arrows passed clean through the animals." He shook his head and said "no need for all that nonsense on these new bows today." It just goes to show that going and doing is the only way to learn.
Scott

Last edited:
Very true, that's why guys like yourself are a great resource for the rest of us

This is true. Scott, Ed, Craig, Dan, Mike and a lot of others I have met all walk the walk and talk the talk. They are not out there beating their chests, but will take the time to teach someone. Actually teach, too. If you can, come out to the Gosstoberfest, you'll learn a lot.

Scott, I swear, I'm going to try to stay away from the trade table for a little while to learn something! :D

Back