Thanks everyone

Hey Scott, I lost my job when the brown stuff hit the fan back in '09. You can bet I was in a major depression then. I'd been working 20 plus years and had never been out of work before, and what was worse is that I really enjoyed the damn job, and I'd only had it for 9 months. Plus, NOBODY was hiring at the time, especially not over-40 males. In any event, getting into the gym was a real boon to me in those rough early days when I had a lot of time on my hands to think about what a loser I was to be out of work when everyone else still seemed to have a job. I am still going two - three times a week, mostly because I dont want to lose those hard won gains (although my belly remains stubbonly jelly like). What I always tell everyone who will listen (I tend to preach to people, one of my faults) is that working out regularly has absolutely no downsides (if you do it properly). Not one! Not much in life you can say that about..

You are absolutely right about working out regularly. Problem for me is because I've worked a physically labor intensive job for over 35 years, it takes a toll on your body. I've already had elbow surgery to remove detoriated muscle tissue and reattached tendons plus I've had back problems so I have to watch how rigorous I work out.
Depression is so complicated and unique to each individual. It runs in my family. My life is so complicated it's hard to keep my head straight. I try to keep positive and keep pushing forward. I love knifemaking and plan to do it til I'm dead.
Scott

I just want to thank everyone who has supported Gossman Knives. I've decided to go part time at knifemaking. There is very little interest in what I make and I'm working more at my other job so time in the shop is limited. I've thought about throwing in the towel but I do not want to stop making knives. I do have a few orders which I'm grateful for. I've had alot of turmoil/depression going on lately and I just don't have the incentive to go to the shop and work much anymore. I plan on spending alot of time in the woods this fall getting back to my roots of bowhunting deer. Lost alot of interest in other outdoor pursuits. I enjoy my time alone. Also I just don't spend much time on the internet. Two much bullshit anymore.
Scott

Hang in there Scott. I fully understand where you're coming from and your frustrations. Make peace with yourself and everything else will fall in line. Best of luck to you.

I know what you are saying about working physical, I've been in construction my whole working life, and a gym rat since before then. I just turned 31, it was like flicking a switch, everything hurts now. When I get up in the middle of the night to take a piss , I walk around like the tin man from the wizard of oz.

It's starts going downhill once you reach 50. I'll be 54 next March and have really been feeling it since about 45. Having a positive mental attitude helps. Your mind says yes and your body says hey wait a minute. :D
Scott

OK that puts a different spin on it... but you can always find other ways to stay fit, that's basically what its all about. I just like lifting weights because its the only exercise I can do sitting down. :D

You are absolutely right about working out regularly. Problem for me is because I've worked a physically labor intensive job for over 35 years, it takes a toll on your body. I've already had elbow surgery to remove detoriated muscle tissue and reattached tendons plus I've had back problems so I have to watch how rigorous I work out.
Depression is so complicated and unique to each individual. It runs in my family. My life is so complicated it's hard to keep my head straight. I try to keep positive and keep pushing forward. I love knifemaking and plan to do it til I'm dead.
Scott

It's starts going downhill once you reach 50. I'll be 54 next March and have really been feeling it since about 45. Having a positive mental attitude helps. Your mind says yes and your body says hey wait a minute. :D
Scott

Oh yes! I hear you, I'm 55 now, and have had some MAJOR health problems in the last 15 yrs, including back stuff, ugh! What has saved me is swimming, and yoga; even when I could barely walk on crutches, getting in the water and just moving around really helped. I'm doing really well now, sometimes I actually feel almost like I'm in my late 30's again (I would say early 40's but they totally sucked LOL!) I still swim and do yoga 2 or 3 times a week, can't imagine life without it, it really keeps me going, I'm lucky to have a pool near where I live so I can swim year round. I guess as we age you just have to roll with the punches and do whatever makes you feel better. Glad you could reach out for some support, you have a lot of fans out here!

I've been going through much of the same here. Depression is something I've fought my whole life too. It sucks and isn't really something someone who hasn't experienced it can understand. I try to wake up everyday and remind myself to stay positive and not to be an A-hole. Works more times then not. As far as the forums go, I've stopped posting for the most part. I started to become a jerk from arguing with people I know have no clue what they're talking about. I sort of washed my hands of it. If you need someone to talk to just drop me an email.

Scott,
I'm ashamed to say I just saw this thread, I don't get on these forums much anymore.
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, man. I can identify with a lot of what you're saying, I'm sure some of it I can't.
If you ever want to just shoot the breeze give me a call, I'd love talking with you again. You're one of the guys I respect most in this business and hobby.
I know it can get you down, I've been there too unfortunately.
I'm gonna pm you my number in case you don't have it anymore. Like I say, just too shoot the breeze. Lord knows I can't offer any worthy advice, I'm a messed up individual and any advice I give would only make things worse. hahaha. But I always enjoy talking with you.
God bless, my friend.

Thanks Iz, I'll do that sometime. BTW, I've debated for awhile about trying a forum over on BCUSA. I went ahead and signed up for one. See how it goes. Talk to you soon bro.
Scott

Back