Thanks Sal: me & spyderco vs 2 pit bulls

Completely the owners fault, very glad you are alright, good job protecting you and yours.

This is a good example of why I always have a Cold Steel FGX(plastic) spike when I exercise on my bike, or a folding knife when I leave the house. It is better to be prepared than not.
So much for the theory of many that a folding knife is only a tool, and not an adequate choice for a self defense carry.:rolleyes:

I have been running, usually unarmed, live in NYC. I recently had a dog lunge for me, and I decided to carry a knife when I run from now on. This goes to show that it does happen, and being prepared is best. Love the statement: "the best blade is the one you have".

I am glad that you are OK and hope that your dogs too.
I am taking a walk in my neighborhood four-five times a week. Quite a few dogs are aggressive, fortunately, the are controlled. Just once two dogs jumped on me. I had two knives on me and was able to keep distance and probably screamed at them louder than they barked. After few minutes they went away. Once a dog walked with me. He looked lost, but found his home about a mile later.

Last edited:
Cops were cool, owners have no clue who I am (as per officers). The owners were cited for 2 or 3 violations. Nice thing about Arizona, you have full justification for using deadly force when you are threatened, dog or person: shoot, stab, etc. whatever it takes to take care of the situation.
Amen to that. I'm glad that you made it thought that ordeal safely. :thumbup:

Great story,glad your okay!Way to take command of a bad situation.the key to your success is that you did'nt panic.:thumbup::cool:

Great job, and thank goodness you had the knife on you. Hope your hand heals quick, and also hope your dogs are OK.

Hard to believe some idiots still let these types of dogs run loose. Hope the owners are facing a big fine, because someone could have been killed.

Glad you are okay. That's pretty impressive that you took down two pitbulls with a pocket knife. Kudos to you!

:thumbup: Thank you for sharing this story with us. I also carry a Spyderco knife all the time when running, cycling, etc.

Glad to hear that you and the dogs are okay. I always carry a Spydie when I am out but thankfully havent had to use it in that way!

I'm surprised a PETA nut hasn't chimed in to express disgust.

Obviously the knife got the job done, but how did it perform? Did you find yourself wishing you had a larger blade or anything?

Wow, that must have been scary. Those dogs are pure mean. I'm surprised you didnt sustain more injuries actually. Dont know if you heard about the cops that got attacked in London recently? Five of them sustained serious injuries after they were attacked by a 'pit-type' dog.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/22/five-police-officers-mauled-dog

Your comment is an ignorant one. The issue with "pit type dogs" is the crowd they attract due to perpetuated myths about how "mean" they are. Many people who own pit bulls are responsible and keep track of them, and with that type of owner, they become kind, gentle animals. Many people who get pit bulls are attracted to their aggressive look and previously perpetuated myths about how "bad ass" the dogs are. Any dog can be a dick if raised by a dick. The same could be said for rottweilers. Many people operated under the assumption that rotts were "known to kill their own masters". Dogs are individuals that are just as impressionable as humans. There is no genetic trait for "mean".

I also find it interesting that people assume the owners "let these dogs run loose". While they are clearly piss poor dog owners, simply judging based on the actions of the dogs, that doesn't imply that they simply let their dogs meander about the neighborhood.

I am glad to hear you and your dogs are safe, OP. My grandfather carries a collapsable baton when he walks. He was a mail carrier for decades, and prior to the introduction of the collapsable baton, he carried a capped length of PVC pipe loaded with some type of material that made the pipe extremely heavy. Apparently it worked well.

I am glad that you are OK and hope that your dogs too.
I am taking a walk in my neighborhood four-five times a week. Quite a few dogs are aggressive, fortunately, the are controlled. Just once two gods jumped on me. I had two knives on me and was able to keep distance and probably screamed at them louder than they barked. After few minutes they went away. Once a dog walked with me. He looked lost, but found his home about a mile later.

bh49: destroyer of Gods. :p

Wow glad this situation didn't end up any worse. I also EDC a Native with me and I hope I never have to use it in this way.

What happened to your dogs? I hope they're doing ok.

I edc a delica and would be scared to go against a pitbull with a knife that small!One pitbull was getting too agressive with me and I just socer kicked it in the head LOL! Some of those dogs are scary and can do more damage to a human than a knife!

Back