The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Some antidotal observations.... I think the ideal would be to alternate planting areas year to year at least for the same crop, but for many of us it is not possible. Hence I do soil prep before planting as best I can. I do not pinch off blossoms. What I see happening is that the early blossoms develop fruit and become some of the largest tomatoes for the season on that plant. As things warm up and night time temps are higher, the blossom set reduces. So, the plant is almost naturally reacting to reduced water and higher temps to survive.

During the early development stages, I thump (vibrate) my tomato blossoms to promote pollination. This seems to work very well.

Tomatoes are essentially water sacs.... so a regular water supply to the plant is important. Too much water and you get rotting or poorer vine development.

Last year (or was it the year before?) I double dug the soil for the tomatoes and observed that the fruit size stayed more even throughout the season. The reasoning is that the tomato plant's roots are hitting undisturbed soil with reduced organics with root depth and double digging increases drainage, mixes and loosens the soil at depth which promotes growth. The plants seemed to produce more uniform sized tomatoes throughout the season. I did not do it this year although I made an effort to dig the soil a little deeper.

With containers you have total control if the container is sized large enough for the plant. But you have to water frequently.

About to apply a fungicide to my front yard for brown patch. It is just starting to develop now in a few areas. The yard people have identified it every year and I generally just ignore it. (Definitely wear gloves and probably boots when applying or handling.) The yard rebounds in the fall. Anyway, trying something new for me. I have never done this and have limited experience. My concern is that the cats (pets) will be exposed to the fungicide chemicals which are nothing to ignore. I know that I should water the stuff in pretty much immediately after application, but I hate to water (pouring money down a hole essentially). But that is probably the best option under the circumstances. Fungicides are fairly expensive and over application is not good. So.... I'm dragging my feet a bit about doing this.

Been really enjoying the homegrown tomatoes this year. We have had a continuous supply for about a month now. Life in this regard is good!

Got my first "Legion container" discussed above via FedEx today. Another is scheduled to be delivered next week for store pickup at Home Depot. The first came from Lowe's via the big river site... imagine that.

Last edited:
They get a lot bigger than one would expect. The yellow crooked neck squash don't get as large if you like them. My zucchini are shading things now too. I have the metal grate from a recent HVAC replacement (from my old unit) that I took off when the new ones were installed. I put this "fence" up to try to keep the zucchini more in line, but they get tall too.

You have to pay attention to the developing zucchini as they seem to grow really quickly.... blink your eye for a few days and they become beastly.

My wife made some fried breaded zucchini the other day and I have missed this veggie so much. Loved it.

These work really well for onions or in this case shallots .
I noticed that you aren't using the self watering system that comes with the container. Maybe the older versions didn't have that. IF you have used it, does the watering system work very well? For those that do not know, basically the corners are open to the water trough at the bottom of the container and you pack soil into the corners where it wicks up the water into the zone where the plants are. There is a screen "plate" to keep the soil from getting into the water reservoir. There are no drain holes in the bottom of the container, but there are some little holes on each end which I believe you could enlarge for quicker discharge of excess water. The purpose of the designed side holes is to allow excess water to drain off. On a big rain, the holes may not be of sufficient size to allow the water to escape quickly.

The directions also say to place about a pound of garden lime or dolomite to adjust pH in the potting soil that is used. I have never done this although when I spread lime on my yard, I usually spread some over my garden area.

Added: Size-wise, it is almost exactly what I envisioned for the container and I appreciate your suggestion.

Last edited:
I noticed that you aren't using the self watering system that comes with the container. Maybe the older versions didn't have that. IF you have used it, does the watering system work very well? For those that do not know, basically the corners are open to the water trough at the bottom of the container and you pack soil into the corners where it wicks up the water into the zone where the plants are. There is a screen "plate" to keep the soil from getting into the water reservoir. There are no drain holes in the bottom of the container, but there are some little holes on each end which I believe you could enlarge for quicker discharge of excess water. The purpose of the designed side holes is to allow excess water to drain off. On a big rain, the holes may not be of sufficient size to allow the water to escape quickly.

The directions also say to place about a pound of garden lime or dolomite to adjust pH in the potting soil that is used. I have never done this although when I spread lime on my yard, I usually spread some over my garden area.

Added: Size-wise, it is almost exactly what I envisioned for the container and I appreciate your suggestion.
I've always used the self watering feature that's the beauty of the system can't over or underwater I also have my tomatoes in similar containers they have a reservoir that hold water . Never used lime just good soil did yours come with a cover mine didn't ?

The cloth cover appears to be landscape fabric. Looked again and can see the tube for watering tucked behind the plants. Frankly, before I got mine, I wouldn't have recognized the tube in yours as having anything to do with watering.

Added in later PM: Saw thunderstorms headed my direction (assuming they make it) and decided to put down the fungicide. If it doesn't rain tonight, I'll water it in a bit in the morning. Caught all the cats (which usually takes considerable effort) and brought inside before spreading the fine granular material.

Last edited:
Well I don't grow veggies, mainly because I never know if and when I'm going to travel. But the lilies are starting to bloom. These are the first of the "tall" ones, and they're kind of fancy. I'm hoping that next year they will start to grow more than one stalk. This is the third year they've been in and they seem to like it where they're at.

sEu4MsU.jpg

And then there are these overachievers...They are not supposed to be 8' tall!

RoYNMoh.jpg

eisman eisman Really spectacular. What are those lilies called? What's the middle lily? It looks like an Easter Lily, but that can't be.

Big thunderstorm rolled through late last night. Lots of lightning. High winds. Blew a tomato cage over. Thought I staked it up.... will fix. We got about a half inch of rain, so the fungicide is watered in. Now to see if there is any noticeable difference. Supposed to apply about every 30 days.

Last edited:
The tall stalk lilies are called Oriental Lilies, the shorter 3' ones are Asiatic Lilies. I have several places in the side yard where there are groups of the Oriental's; you can see some of them in this picture (in the left center). These get about 6' tall and have 12-20 flowers on a stem. they are very fragrant.

ZOFWDWY.jpg

The tall ones in the previous post will flower like this:

OkvPj9k.jpg

The others I have are these pink and yellow versions (pics from last year).

6QGtQlN.jpg

YIc81cL.jpg

The lilies are not used much by the hummingbirds, but I have day lilies for that. My flowers tend to roll thru the spring and summer in the following order: Camellias, Daffodils, Tulips, Lilacs, Rhodies, Lilies, roses, a pink flowering tree I haven't ID'd, and mixed in with this are 4-5 other plants that seem to have their own schedules. I like having the flowers, just don't much care for fruit, as I've never been able to keep up with eating all the production and hate to clean up the mess. I do wish I could have a couple citrus, but it's too cold here for them to do well.

That's one heck of a garden patch there LEGION 12 - what a difference you've made :thumbsup: in a short time.

Legion 12, that picture (out of focus) is just killing my eyes and brain. Please take another one and replace it. :D The zucchini really begin to grow quickly, and then they're done... I am waiting for the second low planter flat now. I will be ready for fall! Been reading online that it might be better to grow onions from seed; never tried that.

The path to the veg garden ... where people have been known to disappear completely (just sayin') for hours on end.

DSCF5628 PATH TO VEG GARDEN 650 MED.jpg

Path leads to the 'turf' raised bed experiment that I am beginning to appreciate. Gives off that 'homesteader' vibe, doesn't it? Tomatoes, peppers, sweet pea seeded around compost and also contains a couple of rows seeded with red and green lettuce. Salad in the wild ;)

DSCF5630 VEG GARDEN TOMATOES PEPPERS SWEET PEA LETTUCE 650 MED.jpg

And as I walk back through the field grasses along the path, I can see the progress made in taming and containing the front lawn. I still am trailering a lot of stuff off the property as the cleanup of the rear yard continues this year. And the woodpiles need tidying too. Saving that for later, way later.

DSCF5636 LAWN OASIS 650 MED.jpg

Legion 12, that picture (out of focus) is just killing my eyes and brain. Please take another one and replace it. :D The zucchini really begin to grow quickly, and then they're done... I am waiting for the second low planter flat now. I will be ready for fall! Been reading online that it might be better to grow onions from seed; never tried that.
Sorry was raining , moved the eggplant and peppers going to start pruning leaves off next .

Looking good Legion 12. Those zucchini hills are getting big. The egg plants look pretty healthy now. Like the rain gauge.

Got my second new container today from HD. This one is green (other one brown like yours). This should do me and I'm looking forward to using them for smaller stuff (shallow rooted), probably onions, but I might do something else too. I picked up a bag of dolomite (pelletized lime) today at HD. The container instructions recommend about a cup full of lime be placed with the soil. Will use the lime eventually regardless and if not for the garden, I'll spread it around the yard.

I have already tossed a couple "too big" zucchini. You really have to pay attention or they get really big.

The volunteer pepper is blossoming now. Curious what the peppers will look like.

Taldesta, looks like you just carved out space for the garden even though I know you had a fairly big space last year.

LEGION 12 LEGION 12 I see Laurence is a snappy dresser ... :)

Taldesta, looks like you just carved out space for the garden even though I know you had a fairly big space last year.

Early this spring I enlarged two perennial flower gardens by a small amount along their edges, just to keep distance from mowed grass to plants - the bee balm garden and the one directly along the front of the house. Also, I did double the veg garden so it now includes the compost, I needed room to grow more than a few tomato plants.

The new dig that separates my 'front lawn' from the wild hill - well, sometimes you have to limit the limit-less! Honestly, I have to find the balance between working dawn to dusk against the field grasses that want to be 5' tall everywhere - and settling for limited but manageable and enjoyable spaces for my annual planters and perennials. This new garden is filled with gladiola bulbs and cosmo seeds - a wall of colour with any luck. My porch and my small front lawn - the oasis in a sea of wild weeds.

Yes, the riding mower keeps big swaths cut and the gas trimmer helps with edges, pathways etc., but there's more to summer and I plan to enjoy more, toil less.

Under the 'vintage' canopy, out of the rain and blaze of sunshine in the West - the porch is the perfect environment for the begonias, coleus and the pups and me. Added a gurgling fountain. Daisy loves it - she drinks! From here I can watch Busby tank up at the feeder.

DSCF5617 PORCH BEGONIAS COLEUS FOUNTAIN 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5618 FOUNTAIN COLEUS 650 MED.jpg

Back