The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

I recall ... and you gardened in different digs and used all containers ... and had crops even then. New digs, great gardens ... and same Vlad the cat - right?

Taldesta. Maybe time to do a rough sketch of the property as to the way it is, where the work is ongoing, and plans. You probably have PowerPoint on your computer if you ever bought MS Office. You can fairly easily do a rough sketch, labels and all that stuff and save sketch as a jpeg which you can upload. Might even be fun.

Legion 12. Quite a change since 2015. The same, but much more.

I'll see if any of my sketches would be clear as small files - to upload from dialup here ... as time between weeds allows - may require a trip to wifi in town. The District does aerials every 5 years in spring (last in 2018) as well that might make for an accurate overlay.

I'll see if any of my sketches would be clear as small files - to upload from dialup here ... as time between weeds allows - may require a trip to wifi in town. The District does aerials every 5 years in spring (last in 2018) as well that might make for an accurate overlay.
The District probably does that for taxes and capturing new buildings and so forth that increase the value of a property. Big Brother is certainly watching. I have used aerials to get my scale and proportions right and then not include that overlay. The scale may be way too small however. Downsize just like any other photo if necessary. I am at a loss of grasping perspective with your garden Some times I do a manual sketch and include a small google aerial off to the side with the area of interest pointed out.

Never really tried to trim a zucchini other than an occasional leaf.

The District probably does that for taxes and capturing new buildings and so forth that increase the value of a property. Big Brother is certainly watching. I have used aerials to get my scale and proportions right and then not include that overlay. The scale may be way too small however. Downsize just like any other photo if necessary. I am at a loss of grasping perspective with your garden Some times I do a manual sketch and include a small google aerial off to the side with the area of interest pointed out.

Never really tried to trim a zucchini other than an occasional leaf.
Thought I would give it a shot seems to be helping already . https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ed...ing-zucchini-how-to-prune-zucchini-squash.htm

The District probably does that for taxes and capturing new buildings and so forth that increase the value of a property.

Yup ... and flood and fire control and conservation - stealthy bunch ... and they provide modestly priced prints that make wonderful Christmas gifts!

I cautioned my son that he has only until 2023 to enjoy his 'cabin' in the woods unless he builds under full canopy of evergreens :D ... 'just kidding' of course - ah ... for the record of the inquiry :eek:

I understand that pics here and there of the gardens on this property don't orient you well. Sometimes I get up in the early morning and think WTheck, those weeds were only four feet high when I went to sleep and where is the path to the ... ??

A couple pictures from yesterday's outing in Cade's Cove. Thought the Brown Eyed Susan (Coreopsis) and Queen's Anne Lace was kind of nice. The bear is wet. I was wet too. The snake is a Copperhead I saw out in the woods. Don't want that in my yard.
DSC03688ced.jpg DSC03850ced.jpg DSC03870ced.jpg

Last edited:
Wet bear is most authentic pic ... can't say if I've ever seen one of other than the usual 'dry' bear - but I've witnessed that they don't care much about weather in my experience.

(BES) is a sentimental, wild favourite. I had them side-by-side with bee balm at my last digs - nice colour contrast for pics - and so long lasting.

My son encountered a local rattler on his property but is more concerned about his dog, Oreo, getting a bad surprise for his curiosity.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Fruit already ... and lots to come. Container is self-watering - what size? I hope mine in containers grow as well. Mine were small and late going in but now that summer seems to have arrived and the plants have taken on that healthy deep green in the foliage, I have high hopes.

:thumbsup: Fruit already ... and lots to come. Container is self-watering - what size? I hope mine in containers grow as well. Mine were small and late going in but now that summer seems to have arrived and the plants have taken on that healthy deep green in the foliage, I have high hopes.
I think they are 3 or 4 gallons each , with the sun and heat lately everything is starting to grow like crazy finally .

Wet bear is most authentic pic ... can't say if I've ever seen one of other than the usual 'dry' bear - but I've witnessed that they don't care much about weather in my experience.

(BES) is a sentimental, wild favorite. I had them side-by-side with bee balm at my last digs - nice color contrast for pics - and so long lasting.

My son encountered a local rattler on his property but is more concerned about his dog, Oreo, getting a bad surprise for his curiosity.
That was the only bear I saw all day and you can't always get good pictures. I was hoping for the black berries to be ripe and lots of bears hitting the berry patches hard. Not the case yet, but there are lots of red undeveloped black berries that will be ripening. On the way out, I saw some cars stopped and there was a mother with two cubs way way down in the woods (like 100 yds). They must have been closer or crossed the road earlier for folks to spot them. This is why I always take binoculars along.... like just watching them. Not always practical to take pictures if you expect the picture to be anything more than... that dark spot is a bear....

Reminds me of a comment a guy made about a bear last year high up in a black cherry tree about 75-100 yds off the road in the woods... he stopped when he saw my vehicle parked and asked if there was "anything" here (like a bear). I mentioned there is a bear up a tree back in the woods feeding on cherries and I would be glad to lead him back there. His comment was "How on earth did you EVER see this bear in the first place?".... didn't tell him that it crossed the road in front of me and I pulled off. ;) It wandered back in the woods and I was trying to get a picture (Nobody around to criticize my behavior moving into the woods behind it. I keep my distance however.) and it climbed up the tree.... way up in the tree to the highest branches.

I was a bit surprised seeing the copperhead. There are a lot of turkeys and I have read that the turkeys really hit the snake population hard, especially the baby snakes. If I had a pup with me, I would have been more concerned for the dog than myself. Sometimes, pets are just a bit too curious for their own good. Our young cats think everything is friendly; they will learn.

When I lived in KY, I spent a lot of time in the woods on the job and would see quite a few rattle snakes and the occasional copperhead. On occasion, I was a lot closer than I would choose to be with rattle snakes. Had them strike at me on occasion.

Seeing flowers growing in fields and so forth reminds me of the kinds of plants I might introduce to my perennial area. I like not having to replant every year. The kicker is that most of these kinds of things bloom in late-May and June-July mostly here and trail off in July. But at least they're green and growing.

Last edited:
Could you explain how the self watering system works on a regular pot? I don't see any tubes or way to introduce water to the plant other than just sprinkling water from on top.

Added: My zucchini are starting to show powdery mildew now. I pulled one of those big green worms off one of my tomato plants today. Looks like it has been munching for a couple of days. Will have to keep an eye on the plants. I believe those critters bite, so I was careful removing it.

Last edited:
Could you explain how the self watering system works on a regular pot? I don't see any tubes or way to introduce water to the plant other than just sprinkling water from on top.

Added: My zucchini are starting to show powdery mildew now. I pulled one of those big green worms off one of my tomato plants today. Looks like it has been munching for a couple of days. Will have to keep an eye on the plants. I believe those critters bite, so I was careful removing it.
Here is the one's I use .

I also have these in my perennial area along with phlox and cone flowers....

We have 2 phlox plants that both started out great, covered in blossoms. One got overwatered (no drainage) and has ceased to thrive. The other is going strong, all green vegetation.

I am wondering if this will blossom again this season or next and/or what I need to do (if anything) to help it's lifespan.

annr annr I have several nursery purchased phlox from last year that re-grew this spring and are blooming now. So, you don't have to do anything other than not dig them up by mistake. You might move the one that isn't doing so well if you want to. The phlox bloom for a long period of time which is why I purchased them. Also the colors blend in the the mix of perennials that I have planted in this one area. Portions are poorly drained.

Added: The phlox went from essentially one or two stems when I purchased it to 5 or 6 stems this year. I added another white phox this year. I also planted two nursery grown zinna's to mix in with the perennials.

Last edited:
Back