The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

I woke to snow dusted landscape yesterday morning - it's gone today ... temporarily. No pic because I am still too busy stacking logs for the woodstove. Master of procrastination in my old age :D Oh yes, must get the snowblower fired up too !

I woke to snow dusted landscape yesterday morning - it's gone today ... temporarily. No pic because I am still too busy stacking logs for the woodstove. Master of procrastination in my old age :D Oh yes, must get the snowblower fired up too !
Time to move south!:D You can still stack logs for pleasure!

I can't believe there's a whole country north of Montana.

The last daisy is still holding out:
1rFz7gj.jpg

The Rhoadies are getting ready to bloom:
ZPS9JBb.jpg

The maples are doing their color change:
1UxMQcy.jpg

And this years wood is cut and stacked:
mVB8Lqx.jpg

It rained last night, the wind is blowing, and it finally smells like autumn. Full moon on Halloween, and it falls on a Saturday. First full moon on Halloween in 76 years.

The Rhoadies are getting ready to bloom:
ZPS9JBb.jpg

It rained last night, the wind is blowing, and it finally smells like autumn. Full moon on Halloween, and it falls on a Saturday. First full moon on Halloween in 76 years.
Is it normal for your Rhododendrons to be blooming in the fall? They bloom here in the late Spring. That said, I see azaleas blooming in containers for sale and I suspect they come from your part of the world.

Beautifully landscaped property - love that firepit area. Halloween moon 2020 is truly special. Full, micromoon, blue moon and hunters' moon all in one. Spooky times 4 :eek:

Is it normal for your Rhododendrons to be blooming in the fall?

Some do. I have 5-6 different ones so they all seem to be slightly out of sync. I still have blooms on the lavender too, and it's way past time for that. Also have a daffodil trying to come up and I have no idea why. Everything here is pointing to a cold winter. The Camillias are due to bloom in a month or two also, so I pretty much have flowers thru the year. If somethings not blooming then another plant soon will.

Wood stacking accomplished for 2020 - 10 cord. Had help. Now the regular trips from house to woodpile and back again begin in earnest. Life ... you stack it then you unstack it, another flaming country exercise :D

Thanks annr. Barred owl - so slow in takeoff with majestic wingspan when observed so close. Yes, I chased it away and had many chickadees thank me for going to the trouble.

That is the kind of stuff most of us seldom see. Great Barred Owl specimen!

There simply isn't much happening in the garden front for me. I covered some of my peppers last night as we had a freeze warning. Didn't happen... but I succeeded in breaking off some branches from the pepper plants. Need to re-think what I use to cover stuff. Tonight is supposed to be another chilly one with lows approaching freezing and hence a high probability of a frost at least if not a freeze. If it happens, it will be our first frost for the fall season.

The grass in my yard is growing like crazy in this cooler weather. The yard looks about as good as it gets over the last couple of weeks. We got just under 4 inches of rain from the last hurricane (still a tropical storm) as it passed just south of us. Almost all of the October rainfall was tropical storm related with a monthly total of about 7 inches. Starting to record this bit of info as I look at my rainfall stats over the last couple of years and wonder if the bigger daily tallies are mostly tropical storm impacts in the summer and fall.

The leaves are changing locally. Lots of green still. Planning a Smoky's visit in the next couple of days and hoping to see some nice whitetail bucks as they should be in their early rut now. I check leaf color changes by visiting the web cams. Pretty darn useful approach! I do the same thing with weather and look at the highway web cams for my sense of conditions.

Some snow popping up now in the northern areas. Ahhhh winter.... here it comes!

That is the kind of stuff most of us seldom see. Great Barred Owl specimen!

There simply isn't much happening in the garden front for me. I covered some of my peppers last night as we had a freeze warning. Didn't happen... but I succeeded in breaking off some branches from the pepper plants. Need to re-think what I use to cover stuff. Tonight is supposed to be another chilly one with lows approaching freezing and hence a high probability of a frost at least if not a freeze. If it happens, it will be our first frost for the fall season.

The grass in my yard is growing like crazy in this cooler weather. The yard looks about as good as it gets over the last couple of weeks. We got just under 4 inches of rain from the last hurricane (still a tropical storm) as it passed just south of us. Almost all of the October rainfall was tropical storm related with a monthly total of about 7 inches. Starting to record this bit of info as I look at my rainfall stats over the last couple of years and wonder if the bigger daily tallies are mostly tropical storm impacts in the summer and fall.

The leaves are changing locally. Lots of green still. Planning a Smoky's visit in the next couple of days and hoping to see some nice whitetail bucks as they should be in their early rut now. I check leaf color changes by visiting the web cams. Pretty darn useful approach! I do the same thing with weather and look at the highway web cams for my sense of conditions.

Some snow popping up now in the northern areas. Ahhhh winter.... here it comes!
Thanks 22-rimfire, that owl surprised me ... so big, so calm, watching me. In fact I knew something big had been 'on' the birdfeeders because the pole was more on a tilt every morning. My suspect had been that fat raccoon, but now I think the owl was tanking up from this perch after dusk on the mice and moles, attracted by the fallen seeds. This owl turns up here every fall - that's why I don't feed my birds and critters on the platform feeders any more. Then there's the weasel too. Yikes.

Good luck with pics in the Smoky's ... looking forward to seeing more landscapes and wildlife in TN.

As an active bird nerd, whose 3rd priciest possession (behind a Toyota Tacoma and my wife's engagement ring) is a pair of binoculars....... great spot! Looks like you two have met before!!
Thanks. Hey, all bird nerds are welcome and likely in the majority here in 'gardening' - I believe that's one reason eisman added to the thread title "... and other stuff" :D

And yes, this owl and I square off over the safety of my birds and critters every year around this time.

The summer/fall/winter contrast is stark here ... spring has birdsong hope and a lot of sloppy weather :D
The weather now is so mild, dry and sunny that shirtsleeves are in order - not parkas and boots; nice.
So some comparison pics ...

Cosmo and glad wall that, in summer, hides the weed hillside
Today's pic shows - annual cosmo roots pulled and composted, glad leaves cut and laid overtop to mulch the glad bulbs - which are not supposed to overwinter, yet do so. Chipmunk hole bottom left.
DSCF3791 GLADS WINTER PREP 650 MED.jpg

Summer

DSCF2729 HUMMINGBIRD ZINNIAS BUSBY WINDOW 650 MED.jpg

Haven't mentioned to date but I must cross one of two bridges to get home. The one nearest to town has been in replacement process since June, due for completion in Nov - a ways to go yet :eek: pic from flip phone

1103201632-00 BLACKBRIDGE   OUT 650 MED.jpg

It will be beautiful again shortly - ugly grey in between seasons never lasts ...

... past winter pic taken just over this bridge - which I hope to travel soon, a far shorter drive from town.

IM002273 MUSKOKA RIVER WINTER 600 MED.jpg

Last edited:
Back