The 2021 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

When I originally put these granite blocks in place I used a fine ground cedar bark around them. I got tired of the neighborhood cats thinking it was just for them and decided to fix that. Started digging up the bark and laying down some 5/8 washed pebbles. Got about 1/3 done but really wears me out. Need more rock but the place is closed for the long weekend. Plan to just have them deliver the next batch, they can dump it while I'm working during the week. I'll throw some polymeric sand over them when it's done to limit the pebble migrating into the grass.

n55ks0g.jpg
As a licensed C-27 In Kalifornia, give it 3 thumbs up out of 3. Love the modern look.

Need to replace a flagstone path in my back garden, anyone have any experience with putting in a river pebble path and how well it holds up?

I have a drive that's 140' of crushed gravel and it does okay as long as I spray for weeds 2-3 times a year. I need to re-level it, and that's going to also require getting it re-compacted. For walkways I have this one, which I just reworked using 5/8 round pebbles

EjbyVHJ.jpg

t2Ot8yX.jpg

What it looked like previously...
njcWdbx.jpg

I have a drive that's 140' of crushed gravel and it does okay as long as I spray for weeds 2-3 times a year. I need to re-level it, and that's going to also require getting it re-compacted. For walkways I have this one, which I just reworked using 5/8 round pebbles

EjbyVHJ.jpg

t2Ot8yX.jpg

What it looked like previously...
njcWdbx.jpg
Ok I'm thinking of doing the pebbles only, no stones.

Ok I'm thinking of doing the pebbles only, no stones.
Make sure you have sturdy boarder material. Dig down @ 8" and lay a couple inches of crushed rock. Tamp that down. Then use 2-3 inches of sand and tamp that down. Then lay your weed barrier and put the pebbles on top of that. Tamp that down. I recommend using either polymeric sand or a soil stabilizer as a last step to minimize the migration of pebbles to places where you don't want them.

Make sure you have sturdy boarder material. Dig down @ 8" and lay a couple inches of crushed rock. Tamp that down. Then use 2-3 inches of sand and tamp that down. Then lay your weed barrier and put the pebbles on top of that. Tamp that down. I recommend using either polymeric sand or a soil stabilizer as a last step to minimize the migration of pebbles to places where you don't want them.
Thanks, that's good advice. I was thinking about metal edging for the border. It's about 300 feet long, so sounds like a lot of work

Picked my first quart of blueberries the other day. I have 4 bushes that usually yield about 2 gallons of berries total.

DD6835D6-C4D3-4AB9-82F9-8FBF35CB1365.jpeg

I started to do some brick/retaining wall last summer, but never came close to finishing it. So that was high on my list this year. This is where I put in a line of Emerald Green arbor vitea on the south side of the house with the idea of putting some shade there and blocking the view of the neighbors. Where I put the wall and laid down bark I got really good results.

yS5c0Ps.jpg

Where I didn't the weeds took over and killed off the lavender.

eqiKJ0h.jpg

So...What I did was take the wall from the secondary driveway and swing it around to join up with the start I'd made. basically building a large raised bed that's going to get a couple more trees and some other flowering perennials, and look a lot better.

xk3i0o0.jpg

At the same time we built a matching grass barrier on the other side that's going to get dug up and have some lower lying evergreen stuff planted. And then (hopefully) next year I'll add a flagstone walkway between the two boarders and curve it around to the deck, and eliminate a significant patch of grass that won't require mowing.

9MGQCCM.jpg

Summer is definitely here. Saw the first swallowtail butterflies this weekend, the moles are getting active, I'm having to water since we've had no rain in a week, and the hummingbirds are hitting the feeders again.

Today is our first nice day in a week. The rest has been like this:

06126BD6-993A-4490-A0C2-3D060DBAA7FE.jpeg

Back