The 2021 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Got bloom rot on my Roma tomatoes , never saw this before .
IMG-20210706-192013210.jpg
IMG-20210707-182606118.jpg

Still working on this project with the plan to have it done by this time tomorrow. Used most of 6 yards of topsoil to fill in the new space after we dug out all the grass. Added three more Arbor Vitea, 20 lavender, and half a dozen trailing Rosemary I hope to get to cascade down the brick wall.

LwXyFzq.jpg

Today was spent working on the other side, and then I built these:

1MOzbTH.jpg

GrxE5Ln.jpg

I'm having a really bad issue this year with moles and voles. For moles I have a guy who traps them; we've got 3 this summer. The voles are worse as they have spread all over the yard and are killing my plants (they eat the roots). So I've set some traditional spring traps, with no luck. (Well, I did get a rat, but I really wanted to get the voles). So these are a bait tunnel, and I've got their bait mixed with peanut butter set and we'll see how this works. I hate using poisons, but this is a species specific one, so hopefully they eat, sleep, and don't wake up. If the first two work I'm going to make a couple more and really be hoping to make a dent in the population.

On a side note, the crows really like the dead rats and moles, so there's that.

Going to give this stuff a try .
vigoro-plant-food-fertilizer-124346-64-600.webp
Hey LEGION 12, I've been on a road trip camping with Daisy and missed this update on your crops :) - any chance these images might be replaced? Just curious here as usual ...

Tomatoes here are really coming along - will do pics shortly. Bee balm is reigned in this year as I cut a lot of the invasive growth out and shared it with others ...

IMG_20210714_164646473_HDR BEE BALM YARROW HOLLYHCK 650 MED.jpg

And, although the grass ran amok while I was away ... happily so did the nasturtiums and glads. Once the bee balm blooms, I no longer have to feed the hummingbirds ...

IMG_20210714_164601048 NASTURTIUM TO BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

Hey LEGION 12, I've been on a road trip camping with Daisy and missed this update on your crops :) - any chance these images might be replaced? Just curious here as usual ...

Tomatoes here are really coming along - will do pics shortly. Bee balm is reigned in this year as I cut a lot of the invasive growth out and shared it with others ...

View attachment 1600665

And, although the grass ran amok while I was away ... happily so did the nasturtiums and glads. Once the bee balm blooms, I no longer have to feed the hummingbirds ...

View attachment 1600664
Fertilizer did the trick rot is gone , your garden looks awesome .
IMG-20210715-181222482-HDR.jpg

Thanks LEGION 12 LEGION 12 ... for the pic and the comment - always great to see 'how the garden goes'.

Last year I reset all the liatris, shasta daisies and gaillardia (perennials) further out from under the gable overhang so they would catch more rain and planted the zinnias accordingly as well. Daisiy patch quadrupled in size! The glads - which are described as annuals in my zone have survived for years and are taking over what I refer to as 'the new dig'.

012 SHASTA DAISY SPIDER 650 MED.jpg

013 GLADS DAISIES DAISY BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

Like you, this year all my tomatoes are in containers. Here they are staggered on my porch steps facing South - loads of sunshine here and no trips up weed hill to the veg garden :) Do you prune your tomatoe plants to remove 'suckers' ?

Frost took all my tomato seedlings, beans and most coleus cuttings (yikes, all that work for naught) so I replaced the tomatoes with several varieties from roma, to cherry to better boy and beefsteak. One heritage purple pruden survived the frost - must be a tough old bird ... Only one pepper plant (now has one flower) survived the chipmunks too - rough spring. Mix of beans top left, crackerjack marigolds bottom left.

059 PORCH TOMATOES PEPPER BEANS COLEUS 650 MED.jpg

045 PORCH BEANSTOMATOES PEPPER 650 MED.jpg

When I step outside, I like the greenhouse feel from all the plants and the light through the clear tarp sunshade protecting them from the sun in the West. Cue the birdsong and the chipmunks :) Yes, that is a pot of lettuce - waiting for tomatoes to make a salad and great on sandwiches until then.

014 PORCH COLEUS RED HOT CATTTAILS DELPHINIUM LETTUCE 650 MED.jpg

Happy gardening all ...

Great year for tomatoes all 'round ! Love the old fashioned, serene garden in sunset photo... my kind of trellis too :thumbsup:

I have a drive that's 140' of crushed gravel and it does okay as long as I spray for weeds 2-3 times a year. I need to re-level it, and that's going to also require getting it re-compacted. For walkways I have this one, which I just reworked using 5/8 round pebbles

EjbyVHJ.jpg

t2Ot8yX.jpg

What it looked like previously...
njcWdbx.jpg
When done right, I love this style of pathway. You done good here. It really is about the foundation if you want it last and stay planar.

The chipmunks are snagging some grape tomatoes ... which is fine given the great growing season we are enjoying here. The larger varieties remain unmolested :thumbsup: so far. The porch steps are definitely single file! Crackerjack marigolds are starting to bloom bottom left and plenty of bean pods are dangling from flowering vines top left.

006 TOMATOES PORCH BEANS MARIGOLDS 650 MED.jpg

Dots of colour here and there - geraniums by the shed ramp. Along the N (shaded) side are planters with petunias, zinnias and sweet pea climbers (soon to bloom).

IMG_20210802_090754442 SHED GERANIUMS 650 MED.jpg

The 'new dig' has sprung up with so many gladiolas, tall and with frothy blooms - my wall of colour that separates the 'lawn' from weed hill. Uprights in the nasturtium pots make fine perches for the hummers tiny feet ... they linger here to rest and groom. Zinnias, liatris and gaillardia along the front of the house - daisies, glads, cosmos in the new dig - bee balm, hollyhocks, petunias and yarrow along the boulder garden - planters of nasturtiums, bleeding heart. All hummingbird candy :)

IMG_20210802_090236809_HDR DAISIES GLADS BEE BALM NASTURTIUMS 650 MED.jpg

IMG_20210802_090157828 NASTURTIUMS GLADS DAISIES 650 MED.jpg

IMG_20210802_074446387_HDR GLADS BEE BALM SUNRISE 650 MED.jpg

I'm not an eggplant guy, but those peppers look good! Those Anaheim's or Poblanos?

Back