The 2023 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread……

Pulled up my green beans also and my Roma's are done .
Our melons are done too. Peppers are still going crazy and Roma’s are just now putting out. Our Betterboys didn’t produce a lot of fruit this year.

Our melons are done too. Peppers are still going crazy and Roma’s are just now putting out. Our Betterboys didn’t produce a lot of fruit this year.
Have to say I am impressed with the new raised bed , thought because it was metal it would need a lot of watering . But even though it was a dry summer hardly had to water much .

Have to say I am impressed with the new raised bed , thought because it was metal it would need a lot of watering . But even though it was a dry summer hardly had to water much .
We're gonna tear our raised bed down when it gets cool enough. Not enough room to grow a bunch. We'll use the cinder blocks and boards to keep the pots off the ground in the new green house.

img-1-1692462687966.webp

I’ve had this slab of wood and leg cuttings for a year or so, several weeks ago I decided to build it into a table to put my bonsais on out back, a little bit of water seal and it was good to go, most of these have spent the summer outside growing so they look rather homely and are waiting to be repotted next spring, but then we get to wait until 2025 to prune and style them, wish I had known the fella that cut it made the right leg a little shorter!?!?!?

Then we have the last of the garden for the year with the watermelons finishing up

And finally a wild collected Dawn Redwood from SC, has perfect structure for a beginner bonsai, I’ll mess with it next spring!!

Been a busy year!!

I was mowing some property that my wife and I own and found a natural honeybee hive. It’s been in the 90s here lately, so the workers line up around the opening and fan the air to keep it moving. It’s a bad photo (didn’t want to get too close!) but the dark area around the top ridge is all bees.

IMG_2405.jpeg

Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these guys? Unfortunately they’ve done some major damage before I discovered them.

IMG_7533.jpeg

Tilling the soil around the plant is supposed to kill 90% of the hornworm larvae. Can’t attest to that since I haven’t seen them down this way.

Back