The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

We are on the road, but there are a lot of makers we look forward to seeing. Billy Mace Imel, Kevin Cashen, Ed Caffrey...

We buy something when it suits our fancy. A lot of time we end of with material for scales. :)

Stopped at Billy Mace Imel’s table for awhile. Aside from being a great person, his knives are pretty darned nice also. Really was liking his daggers. Mike

Nathan, do you daydream? :p

"Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
I can see by infrared,
How I hate the night.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night."

-marvin

Will there be a return of those sweet gold heat treat marks? You keep me searching for a heart of gold.

Yes. When the color turns out nice and clean and even we leave it in there. Otherwise we remove it chemically.

...although we did recently have someone complain about having the gold color left on their blade. If you leave it in the signature you leave it in the jimping too. I like it, but apparently not everybody does.

Hi Nathan, a couple of more serious questions (your daydream poem comeback was impressive, glad to see that you still have some witty comebacks ;) ):

1- What stage are you with the UF preorders? Specifically the fancier finishes which you had stated will require more of your own attention and time?

2- Are you now more amenable toward doing a preorder of UFKs, offering the same as you did with the UF preorder, i.e, offering fancier handle scales and also a couple of other choices for the finish (acid wash and "satin" hand rubbed finish?).

No one asked for my opinion, but that never ever stopped me from thinking out loud:

I don't think that producing about a 1000 UFKs in the current field finish presentation is as good an idea of above # 2. I'm not trying to be controversial but drawing your attention to the fact very strong possibility that there's a great demand for what I've suggested. If so, I'll be in for several more :)

P.S. I will even pay more to have Lorien's LA back on the side where he belongs! After all, he's an all Canadian standalone :D

Hi Nathan, a couple of more serious questions (your daydream poem comeback was impressive, glad to see that you still have some witty comebacks ;) ):

1- What stage are you with the UF preorders? Specifically the fancier finishes which you had stated will require more of your own attention and time?

2- Are you now more amenable toward doing a preorder of UFKs, offering the same as you did with the UF preorder, i.e, offering fancier handle scales and also a couple of other choices for the finish (acid wash and "satin" hand rubbed finish?).

No one asked for my opinion, but that never ever stopped me from thinking out loud:

I don't think that producing about a 1000 UFKs in the current field finish presentation is as good an idea of above # 2. I'm not trying to be controversial but drawing your attention to the fact very strong possibility that there's a great demand for what I've suggested. If so, I'll be in for several more :)

P.S. I will even pay more to have Lorien's LA back on the side where he belongs! After all, he's an all Canadian standalone :D

We have all three of the machining centers in the main shop area running all of the operations simultaneously. The first batch is about ready for heat treat. Then the fun begins...

I like your idea but I think our next pre-order may be for the Keffeler KOD piece. A variation of that insane two handed wide sword he brought to the Blade show that we're collaborating on. It's going to be an expensive low volume piece with a fantastically complex setup so I don't want to undertake it without ~80+ firm orders. I'd like to get the chopper preorders done soon and then float that bigass KOD out there and see if there is enough interest to justify a run.

Thanks Nathan. As long as you're open to a UFK pre-order with some fancy-schmancy options, I for one will be willing to wait it out :) I do understand the priorities of fulfilling the current MC/HDMC preorders and the UFs. 2020 sound good enough to me and I'm sure that you will have further tweaks in mimd, like a swedge too :D

Selling 80 of those KoD type knives out to be a cinch. You can pencil in Tommy for at least 70 of 'em :p

Just for gawd sake, don't call it a KoD knife! The show is turning into a sh*tshow!

Last edited:
I like your idea but I think our next pre-order may be for the Keffeler KOD piece. A variation of that insane two handed wide sword he brought to the Blade show that we're collaborating on. It's going to be an expensive low volume piece with a fantastically complex setup so I don't want to undertake it without ~80+ firm orders. I'd like to get the chopper preorders done soon and then float that bigass KOD out there and see if there is enough interest to justify a run.
Wait, is it what folks have been posting photos of, or is it something else we haven't seen yet?

Thanks Nathan. As long as you're open to a UFK pre-order with some fancy-schmancy options, I for one will be willing to wait it out :) I do understand the priorities of fulfilling the current MC/HD<C preorders and the UFs. 2020 sound good enough to me and I'm sure that you will have further tweaks in mimd, like a swedge too :D

Selling 80 of those KoD type knives out to be a cinch. You can pencil in Tommy for at least 70 of 'em :p

Just for gawd sake, don't call it a KoD knife! The show is turning into a sh*tshow!

What should I call it? 18" EDC?

I think the 18 inch KOD makes the most sense too:p

Thanks Nathan. As long as you're open to a UFK pre-order with some fancy-schmancy options, I for one will be willing to wait it out :) I do understand the priorities of fulfilling the current MC/HD<C preorders and the UFs. 2020 sound good enough to me and I'm sure that you will have further tweaks in mimd, like a swedge too :D

Only 2 uncle Matty, call it anything but the KOD, Maybe we need a poll:rolleyes:
EDIT: Nathan you have a firm commitment from me for 2 (His and Hers 18 EDC's), so now you only need 78:thumbsup:;)

Last edited:
Back