The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

View attachment 1459209

I can see what you're referring to, but no, that might be a coincidence.

View attachment 1459210

However every dagger I make is inspired by Billy Mace Imel. That's not to say there is deliberate borrowing of design elements as much as simply literally inspired.

His are art knives whereas mine are functional, but I always measure myself against him.
I remember you saying this to me at Blade like 4 or 5 years ago . . . longer? I knew right then you had good taste! I believe you made at least one dagger several years ago which was an even closer version to one of Billy's inlaid integrals which you picture above. I coveted it in a big way.

But I will be more than happy to "settle" on your new boot dagger once I get my hands on one. I have been fortunate enough to own a shiv, a couple of potato knives (best value knife I ever bought - one is used in my kitchen on a daily basis) and soon, hopefully, a dagger . . . not to mention the regular field knives and EDCs , , , and a special DEK1 sometime next year. It's been a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Right? It's maddening the lack of comprehension...

Folks, this isn't like using a rotary tool with a tiny surface area that will lead to trouble nor does it leave a rough finish. It automates the back and forth scrubbing used with die makers stones and saves you time and elbow grease. If you've never used diemakers stones you may not have a good frame of reference. They're commonly used to finish tool marks from molds and a mold maker that I know who is also a knife maker swears by his. That said, the real deal is considerably more expensive so I'm a little skeptical about this unit just because it's so inexpensive. I think it's an interesting idea.

I use N grade die makers stones from Falcon tool here for scrubbing tool marks from my work. It doesn't dull or round over details like paper. The stone doesn't cut as much as the slurry it forms cuts so technique is important. It's a fast and precise way to shape steel without causing undulations like you'd get from a rotary tool.

View attachment 1466577

This mirror finish was done with stones. I didn't have the best milling machines back then and the tool marks were substantial. I stoned them out to 800 grit and went back to either 400 or 600 grit paper through to mirror finish. I don't think I could have done it very well without the stones. These ultrasonic die profilers are what is used in industry rather than just sawing back and forth with a stone. You'd develop an accumulative stress disorder without something like that if you did it every day.

I'm not sure, because I haven't personally tried it, but I would think a tool like that would have application in our field.
Nathan, I have a few of the stones and find them very effective. However, I have only used them in the rectangular shape they came in. Do you mind sharing how you shape the stones to tackle the hollow grinds? Do you just shape them on the grinder?

Nathan, I have a few of the stones and find them very effective. However, I have only used them in the rectangular shape they came in. Do you mind sharing how you shape the stones to tackle the hollow grinds? Do you just shape them on the grinder?

I shape them on a grinder, I shape them with a file, and they acquire the shape of the work after you scrub with them for a little while because they're highly friable.

Nathan, I read the phrase "limited run" in one your most recent Kephart related posts, IIRC. I have been toying with the idea of adding another to my preorder because I always get at least one back up CPK (not named chopper) but my urge for instant gratification forces me toward scoring another one during the upcoming Fridays sales in 2021 as the CPK-Keps get produced and presented.

I am still leaning in this way to get at least one more but the word which you used, i.e, limited, leaves a bit too much to luck during the upcoming FS's. My original interpretation of "limited" was more along the lines of a non-recurring future pattern like one-and-done but if you could perhaps elaborate? If you mean something like 50 or so more on top of whatever the PO numbers end up, I may wish to reconsider my current decision by adding to my preorder to stave off the future needs to scramble. Thank you.

Nathan, I read the phrase "limited run" in one your most recent Kephart related posts, IIRC. I have been toying with the idea of adding another to my preorder because I always get at least one back up CPK (not named chopper) but my urge for instant gratification forces me toward scoring another one during the upcoming Fridays sales in 2021 as the CPK-Keps get produced and presented.

I am still leaning in this way to get at least one more but the word which you used, i.e, limited, leaves a bit too much to luck during the upcoming FS's. My original interpretation of "limited" was more along the lines of a non-recurring future pattern like one-and-done but if you could perhaps elaborate? If you mean something like 50 or so more on top of whatever the PO numbers end up, I may wish to reconsider my current decision by adding to my preorder to stave off the future needs to scramble. Thank you.
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks

So that I may add, had there been more semi-custom options, I would've already claimed a couple or multiples of the CPK-Kep. That said, I'm sorta glad that it was kept simple because: A- wallet this time of year in a pretty sh*tty year for me and also B- maybe with this one being kept as a simplified PO, it will give Nathan a good enough indicator on his future plans about the more mass marketed knives geared toward Amazon. So for now, it will be an heir and a (future) spare Keppie for me, while awaiting Nathan's response, for me to finalize my preorder :)

This answer is available at length in this subforum. Not sure where, but Nathan has explained at length.
IIRC, the abbreviated version = Elmax has better wear resistance, but AEBL has better toughness, and most of the dulling/edge damage was, as Nathan put it, due to microchipping from clacking the edge on hard things, thus a preference for toughness over pure wear resistance.

After reading you comments about tapered tangs in the kephart thread, I started to wonder. Is there any chance you guys might produce a Loveless style hunter somewhere down the road? If so, Integral?

Anything is possible I guess. *shrug*

It's a good piece. Some solid engineering. I admire the Loveless knives and I could certainly see myself doing one some day.

Back