The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Those definitely don't do it for me. I'm gonna have to go with JustinFournier JustinFournier and say I'd like to see something like a Shirogorov. I'm a big CRK fan and want something simple and usable but also be an efficient cutter.

From some past morsel of information or rather Nathan's expressed opinion regarding a folder, I seem to recall that he was quite fond of implementing an optimized D2 steel for the blade. Further, it is my gathered opinion that a CPK-Folder will be something in the spirit of the CPK-EDC, primarily as a venerable cutting tool rather than themed as a gentlemen folder which also happens to be a vicious cutting tool.

I think a framelock was mentioned many moons ago. It would make sense starting with a blade shape similar to the edc. I can't imagine it's anything more than talk and notes at this point.

Shiro is one of the very few companies doing extremely accurate, precise and delicate CNC work in the knife field. Both Shiro and CPK exceed what CRK has done in their respective fields.

You wouldn't know it looking at Nathan's recent offerings, the fixed blades recently being relative simple compared to a folder but he is capable of more than what you see machine wise in the relatively basic current models.

I've had oh maybe 12 Shiros go through my hands this year, and disassembled and tuned probably 5 different Shiro models.

I've had over 30 folders from CRK. Tuned and disassembled at least 12 individual examples between the small 21, large 21, sebenza 25 and inkosi models. I EDC'd a CRK for years and did regular maintenance on them.

Without a word of exaggeration the worst of the newer Shiros is many times better than the best CRK I've had, a PJ 21 with an old raindrop Damascus blade from arguably the best CRK years 2012-2014.

If I put a handful of newer Shiros on your table and a handful of newer CRKs, the Shiro is to CRK as CRK is to Kershaw. The level of attention to detail, quality of finish, action of the pivot and the lock bar interface, execution of design, usability, steel selection are all massively superior in the Shiro.

Side by side; you can instantly see how the Sebenza has been designed to make it easier to manufacture. While the Shiro uses a far more complex design that results in a much more impressive, comfortable tool for my hand.

The only area I would say CRK is ahead of Shiro is the ease of maintenance. CRK provides a standard hex to disassemble thier knives, Shiro uses a proprietary fastener which requires a proprietary tool they charge several hundred dollars for to remove the fastener without damage.

While I do not know that Nathan can compete with Shiro at this point, I for one would love to see what he can create with his level of innovation and impressive interpretation of a design there are literally hundreds of similar versions of. His ability to translate a concept into reality is second to none.

Duh, this was added to the wrong thread, now deleted.

Last edited:
the EDC can be turned into a flip opening folder with very few changes, and the folder could have a virtually identical profile to it

Are you still selling radiused platens?

The radius platens are something we make during slow periods as filler work and I expect we will make them again, but we haven't had a lull in a while.

..Shiro is to CRK as CRK is to Kershaw.
I have been holding off on the Spyderco BladeHQ and KW Military exclusives as well as a large Inkosi for the past few weeks with either a AD-10+P or an F95 T-Mode MRBS in mind. I prefer the Demko as a jobsite beater, but prefer the open handles sans backspacer of the Shiro as well as its greater cutting surface and lighter weight. But I distrust open bearing pivots in an environment rich with soil, sand and fine tile/granite/drywall dust.

Last edited:
Maybe stick with a washer model like the Hati Adam?

It's one of my favourites and dead simple to maintain. Washer with a bearing so any contamination should be kept to a minimum with proper lubrication. They use the solid washers on almost all models as they contaminate much much slower.

My guess is Nathan will do a washer and bearing to start since it will be quicker to market and still great for smoothness.

I suppose this would be an appropriate time to ask Nathan for updates but I suspect we are still too far out to say.

If and when I should seriously consider a Shiro (big if simply because it's a Ruski knife --- this comment will ruffle some feathers but it is what it is) I will be seeking a newer Hati simply because of the fact that for a right handed person, I seem to have been born with two left hands!!! In other words, "the stupid" is gonna keep it simple!

I can't speak definitely for Adam but I have had the pleasure of having him help me out with something in the past and I'm very confident that he's not afflicted with my sort of ineptitude or lack of mechanical curiosity, and just like you Justin, his tools of the trade are top notch. In fact the two of you could be brothers from different mothers when it comes to being fastidious and extremely fussy plus detail oriented!!!

I'm not gonna lie. Taking apart someone else's $1000+ knife to give it a tune and clean is something I honestly believe requires a certain level of attention to detail and skill that even I question I have some times.

I figure Nathan will put out something a little cheaper and easier to work on.

...if simply because it's a Ruski knife...
That is exactly why you need one: We need to spy on the other guy to discover their secrets :eek: !
...fastidious and extremely fussy...
Rather, it is likely a mental disorder. A clear case of OCD :confused: .
...implementing an optimized D2 steel for the blade...
Being that CPK appears to have a relationship with Dozier, I would definitely be interested in how the D2 turns out.

Would it be possible to contact me when you have some available. I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

I'm not sure when we'll make them again but there will be a notification on our facebook page and on Shoptalk

Nathan, is there going to be anymore Friday sales prior to Blade 2017?

We were going to try, but with the shop reorganization and the Blade Show coming up soon it doesn't look possible.

Quick question for Nathan and it might have been answered elsewhere I will
Continue to look. The Shiv and Light Choppers that you will have at blade will be made of the delta 3v? Or what material will you be using. Thank you, Jeremy

Back